S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Darintake, not so pretty for me (sorry its so long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Darintake, not so pretty for me (sorry its so long)

tonight i attempted to make the darintake...well...lol didnt fan out so well..

i was using some ok things to make it, although i couldnt find any type of flx tubing, let alone silicone. Any who, i made everything and got it all into place.I pull out onto the road and beging to drive, everything seemed ok so i got on it alittle. It worked fine threw first, although i couldnt hear, or feel a diffrence. I pulled off from the stop sign and all of a sudden my car just hits the roof, it started like violantly sputtering when i would hit the gas. So i pulled over and took the whole intake back off. I had used some duct take on the inside to make things more smooth and not so jagged, and i guess the tape had came loose and covered the hole restricting air flow. So i took everything out and put it all back to stock.

I got home and was getting frustrated with the box because the AEM intake cone i had got was just to big. So now i have it running as an open element ( i know its sucking warm air ).i just took the tubing i had and ran it straight to the little MAF sensor and its sleeve. I left the bottom of the box on, and the little air scoop thing all connected so that it may still get some cold air.Everything ran good and felt real smooth. ( as before when i put the bx in the second time, it just wasnt pulling like normal)

So i go to my girls house, and the ABS and CEL comes on. I figured the CEL would come on, but i dunno why the ABS came on, my pads still have about 3/4 of an inch on them. But, i said to hell with it i will figure it out tomorrow as it is already 2am. So i keeping going on my way home instead of turning around and going back to her house.Well it started to ran so i went to turn ESP back on and it wont turn off ?? i turned the car off and its still wont ?? Does anyone know why my dash looks like a christmas tree after i did this little mod ?? i took the sensors off of the top of the air box and hooked them all back up, but i dont know what they are to. They didnt go directly down into the air box so i assumed they were just placed there as it is an easy location...

so heres my ?'s..

-Wats up with ESP ?

-What are those sensors to, and does it matter if they arent screwed to anything as long as they arent in the way of anything ??

-why would the CEL and ABS light come on together ??

i plan to make a heat shield for it so i can still run it as an open element. I will prolly take out my headlight at the track this weekend so i can get in more cold air, so it wont effect my runs..Thanks everyone ! sorry i know it was kind of long..Chris
Old 03-08-2006, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default make sure your MAF is plugged in all the way.

those lights will come on if the MAF is unplugged.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default STOP right now.

get a vag tool, check codes.

make sure your maf is plugged in.

make sure your intake didn't ingest anything (hello turbo lady otherwise)

make sure your MAF didn't get owned by debris from your mod or from the fact you are running open element.

your main problem is far from warm air. i would be much more concerned with FOD and/or the fact that you are trying to diagnose problems w/o a VAG tool.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

too bad you dont have fab skills like your driving skills
Old 03-08-2006, 11:39 PM

Jesus christ stop touching your car. Please. It hurts.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 PM

Duct tape adds 15 hp when injected into the y-pipe btw.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

minimum
Old 03-09-2006, 02:35 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The CEL and ABS lights are coming on because you're hacking up your car!

They are connected to the MAF as suggested below. You screwed something up, the question is what. Put the intake back to stock and stop touching your car. Jeeeez, I wish you had to pass a test before you were allowed under the hood of your car. For you, it should be off limits. Try understanding what you're doing, and how the car works *before* you go out and touch things. You're like a one man wrecking crew.

And those "sensors" on top of your airbox...are you talking about the ignition amps? Your car won't run unless those are plugged into the wiring harnesses.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps he should send his car to motodyne.com . . .
Old 03-09-2006, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<Soup ****> "No Audi for you"! I thought I was a hack. Here's the torch Sir. Enjoy

Quick Reply: Darintake, not so pretty for me (sorry its so long)