S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

So back to the dragstrip...... BOOM!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default So back to the dragstrip...... BOOM!

So been busy with my personal life but took some time to hit the strip today for the first time in about 2 months... Great conditions... Unfortunately, I couldn't find a cammera man to tag along...

My Car: 2010 Audi S4 - DSG with sports dif, 7,002 miles, 1/4 tank of gas, tools and spare removed

Mods: APR tune, APR pulley, LFC's, miltek non-res exhaust, custom intake, APR CPS, front and rear sways, Alu Kruez, Brembo BBK, JHM LW rear rotors, BBS CHR's, tire pressure 38F 34R

Conditions: 48F, 46% humidity, 30.37 BP.... DA was 348...

First pass... Car was fairly cool as I got there about 45 minutes early... Oil temp was about 160... Unfortunately, the car slightly hung up on the 1-2... I did however cut a 1.63 60ft time which is my best ever so it was looking promising... Ended up running a 11.90

Second pass... I hot lapped 4 minutes after the first pass! lol Felt good from the get go and I hit 5th gear pretty early so I knew it was a good pass... Sure enough a new best of 11.6944 @ 117.12 with a 1.64 60 ft time.... I was f***ing stoked! See slip below...

Third pass... Hot lapped again 4 minutes later... lol Felt good also and backed the previous run up with a 11.72 @ 117.12 with a 1.66 60 ft time...

Fourth pass... I left the damn car in manual mode and it hurt the times... I ran an 11.95

Started to get crowded after that, I have a ton to do today and someone broke so I bailed with the car in tack and a new best... I'll get the gopro vids up shortly...

Oh, this was done on Shell URT Advanced fuel... Let me know if there are questions/comments/etc. Thanks Ron
Attached Images   
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice man! Glad to see you're still pushing to get the times lower!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the interesting post.

Manual mode cost about .3 seconds in the quarter...thanks to the lower 6500 rpm redline.

DSG manual mode sucks!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK
Nice man! Glad to see you're still pushing to get the times lower!
Thanks bud! I won't stop... lol Just need a bigger blower... I think I'll get a 11.65 this year with less gas and better DA... Also, hoping APR will create another tune for me to take advantage of this new fuel I am testing...

Originally Posted by audiblitz
Thanks for the interesting post.

Manual mode cost about .3 seconds in the quarter...thanks to the lower 6500 rpm redline.

DSG manual mode sucks!
No problem... LOL this aint a 2013 it's a 2010 and my car shift at 7K everytime in manual or auto mode...

Here is the gopro... Notice when I hit 5th...
Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow that time reminds me of the stronger Stage 3 B5 S4's going back to 2005 or so. Nice to see B8's up there too.

Originally Posted by primetime
Thanks bud! I won't stop... lol Just need a bigger blower... I think I'll get a 11.65 this year with less gas and better DA... Also, hoping APR will create another tune for me to take advantage of this new fuel I am testing...

No problem... LOL this aint a 2013 it's a 2010 and my car shift at 7K everytime in manual or auto mode...

Here is the gopro... Notice when I hit 5th...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BNDXyXiCVg
Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone tried the old B5 FATS run in a similarly modified B8 for comparison? I would guess low 3 seconds?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by avant22
Wow that time reminds me of the stronger Stage 3 B5 S4's going back to 2005 or so. Nice to see B8's up there too.
Thanks! From a roll a good running stage III will take me... dig, I like my chances...
Old 10-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by avant22
Has anyone tried the old B5 FATS run in a similarly modified B8 for comparison? I would guess low 3 seconds?
what's the point? different car, different gearing. Kind of a useless test.

FATS was created as a high RPM test to measure B5 acceleration, and started so high because most of the tunes who were on offer couldn't figure out how to remove the stock torque limiter below 4000 RPM. So you had this uneven playing field when comparing car A to car B if car B had the limiter removed and A didn't, and you compared a log of a 3rd gear pull from say 2000-7000 RPM.

So guys started logging 3rd gear from 4200-6500.

It's such a short little section of a gear that it really provides useless data. Further, it can be manipulated pretty easily, and was on a widespread basis being abused in order to make parts/builds look better than they were. Some people even resorted to posting FATS times with B5 RS4 gearing (different) and not mentioning it. Further, FATS times hide all kinds of problems a tune might have. You could have a 2.8 second FATS car get KILLED by a 3.2 second FATS car in a real race if one of the tunes had something as simple as terrible throttle mapping.

All around FATS was kind of useless unless it was you doing a FATS test of your car against other FATS tests done on your car, on that same stretch of flat road, to meaasure your mods' progress. That's what it was originally used for in fact...but when it became this national database of times with no verficiation etc., it became a joke and people just used the dragstrip.

Thanks to guys like primetime and about 50 or so other B8 S4 guys, the dragstrip database on other sites like the one on audirevolution which has B5/6/7/8 S/RS times allow people to see real world, controlled results at certified tracks so we know there's no funny business. Far more valuable.

Last edited by sakimano; 10-13-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry....7002 miles? Dont you drive this thing anywhere but the track? I have had my car three weeks and have almost 1,500 miles on it already.

Shoot if you drive it that little and want to cut down some weight you might as well rip everything out and put in a cage (not meant to be rude, just curious why not?).

Last edited by Evlengr; 10-13-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr
Sorry....7002 miles? Dont you drive this thing anywhere but the track? I have had my car three weeks and have almost 1,500 miles on it already.

Shoot if you drive it that little and want to cut down some weight you might as well rip everything out and put in a cage (not meant to be rude, just curious why not?).
Yeah 7,002 miles... was kind of bummed that I went over 7K in total this year actually... lol The track is only 15 miles from my house just for reference so it does get driven to other places... I have a A4(80K miles) and now a 1998 Jetta diesel(209K miles, was my moms car) as daily drivers and I don't drive the S4 in the winter... For me it is a fun car that I like to modify, drag race, use for errands on the weekends, and drive for fun on the weekends... I work in downtown Cleveland so driving it to work isn't an option as people in parking garages are horrible... Heck the car has only seen rain once or twice... The 2000 B5 S4 I had sold the year before last had 40K miles and my 1999 Mustang GT that I just sold a few months ago had 19K miles... I'll be adding another toy in the spring so the miles on the S and whatever I get will go on even slower... No gutting and caging of this car though... I'll eventually get a drag only car once my son is older...

Quick Reply: So back to the dragstrip...... BOOM!