Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New SQ5 owner !

Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck2006
Some quick observations after/drive :

- Transmission is quite excellent for an automatic. My first auto ever (Manuel -> DSG -> this one). Upshifts on load are really fast, and downshifts too. It revs the engine without any trouble. Even when you call gears, it responds quick. Really impressed. Now I have to get used to the fact you have to hold the brake to keep it from going forward !

-Quarter side/front view in city is not great. I feel like I have to guess where the curb is on a city 90deg turn. I live in city so always in little one-way streets. No kids were hurt yet...

- Parking is so easy with sensors and camera, a joke. Even the side mirror tilts for viewing the curb....come on !

- Engine : First 6-cylengine, and first supercharged engine. Feels alive, power band is huge. You get respected in this car. Sound gets awesome after 3k (still breaking-in...).

- Ride : I'm sorry but this is a comfortable ride ! We enjoy so much the ride. It feels solid, well planted but it absorbs well the road's imperfections. Good call on the 21", superb look but ride is not harsh at all.

- MMI : Happened to like after a week, it is quite simple and to my surprise I use voice recognition for calls and navigation. It works quite well, even in french canadian. In my GTI, I was using it sometime for random phone call (asking a specific number) only.

- Interior : So happy to have chosen carbon fiber inlays. They are gorgeous with black interior. Room is good too. We went to pick up a rocking chair for future mommy, and after having remove the tray, and put the sliding back seats forward a little (not even down), the huge box fitted nicely !

We just love it !
hey, chuck. the parking mirror tilts on my Q5 however it only does on passenger side. did you get both sides tilt as well ? it's useful but i'm still not used to it..
Old 07-17-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by David&Niki
hey, chuck. the parking mirror tilts on my Q5 however it only does on passenger side. did you get both sides tilt as well ? it's useful but i'm still not used to it..
When in reverse, the passenger side (or driver side if you have the **** on that side instead) mirror itself will adjust down and in toward the car so you can see near the wheels as you're backing up.

When parked (car locked), both mirror housings should fold up (or none if you don't have the option selected) toward the door as in the picture, so they don't stick out as far while parked. Most likely neither of your mirrors is doing this and you just need to turn on the setting (Car > Vehicle settings, I think?).
Old 07-17-2014, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
When in reverse, the passenger side (or driver side if you have the **** on that side instead) mirror itself will adjust down and in toward the car so you can see near the wheels as you're backing up.

When parked (car locked), both mirror housings should fold up (or none if you don't have the option selected) toward the door as in the picture, so they don't stick out as far while parked. Most likely neither of your mirrors is doing this and you just need to turn on the setting (Car > Vehicle settings, I think?).
I've tried already, i do have the function of folding mirrors when lock the car... however i never tried tilt mirror on the left. The reason most of time i park on the right side. when the **** is on right mirror i did see the mirror turning down towards the curb. it helps but i'm just not used to it.
MY 14 Q5 is progressive, the 3rd level. totally there are 4 levels in Quebec
Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just read the manual about side mirros.

It will only tilt the right mirror when the **** is set to that side. No left tilt (don't know why...).

It says it will revert back when in D over 15kmh. Watch out because it will retain the position if you moved the mirror.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just read the manual about side mirros.

It will only tilt the right mirror when the **** is set to that side. No left tilt (don't know why...).

It says it will revert back when in D over 15kmh. Watch out because it will retain the position if you moved the mirror.
that what i was thinking. someone from previous post said mirror could go down in both sides... i was SHOCKED man~
only at passenger side... for my Q5
Old 07-17-2014, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by David&Niki
I've tried already, i do have the function of folding mirrors when lock the car... however i never tried tilt mirror on the left. The reason most of time i park on the right side. when the **** is on right mirror i did see the mirror turning down towards the curb. it helps but i'm just not used to it.
MY 14 Q5 is progressive, the 3rd level. totally there are 4 levels in Quebec

It is possible only for the passenger mirror

Old 07-18-2014, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun

Spijun. Can you please tell me what the outside temp has to be in order for the heated mirrors to work. I am always afraid to leave the *** in the heated position. I am afraid the will burn up when not needed
Old 07-18-2014, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Spijun. Can you please tell me what the outside temp has to be in order for the heated mirrors to work. I am always afraid to leave the *** in the heated position. I am afraid the will burn up when not needed
Do not worry about it
When the outside temperature is less than 4.5 degrees Celsius (40 F)
Old 07-18-2014, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No left tilt (don't know why...).
Originally Posted by spijun
Interesting, I could've sworn the reverse tilt worked on the driver's side, too. Luckily I haven't cared enough to even try. *insert comment about how Honda has that feature*

Thanks for the confirmation on the lack of that feature, gents, especially when it would be assumed that it would actually work.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting, I could've sworn the reverse tilt worked on the driver's side, too. Luckily I haven't cared enough to even try. *insert comment about how Honda has that feature*

Thanks for the confirmation on the lack of that feature, gents, especially when it would be assumed that it would actually work.
SO go and review your manual book first then come here to talk... LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New SQ5 owner !