A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 10:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Changing Rear Brake light on Audi A4 Avant 2009 (B8)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Rear Brake light on Audi A4 Avant 2009 (B8)

Hi guys,

The "brake light is out" indicator has come on my 2009 Audi A4 Avant (B8) and I want to change it out myself. Bought the bulb from autozone but can't figure out how to get into the rear brake light unit to change it. I see DIY guides on youtube and here for the B7 model (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...6&ref=esp-link) but no luck on the B8. I tried poking around myself but couldn't really find anything.

Does anyone here know of a resource online to that I can check out, or maybe can point me in the right direction? I figure I have to unscrew a bolt or screw in the back like in the B7 DIY guide but couldn't locate it.

Thanks!
Don
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's similar to the 2009.. there is a long plastic hex head poking out from the back of the lens. I think it is a hex head but I used a open ended wrench on it and it worked.

Good luck.. just do not forget to never force anything!.. just in case you get it wrong!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok -- I think I remember seeing something like that yesterday - a long (at least 4 inches) piece of plastic sticking out, with a flat head and I think a square "hole" going the length of the plastic piece. I don't remember a hex head though. I'll have to double check tonight when I get home from work. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I only have the instructions for my sedan, but the plastic screw with a slits sounds similar. Se attached instructions.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddv8e
Ok -- I think I remember seeing something like that yesterday - a long (at least 4 inches) piece of plastic sticking out, with a flat head and I think a square "hole" going the length of the plastic piece. I don't remember a hex head though. I'll have to double check tonight when I get home from work. Thanks for the feedback.
That's it.. it is square so if you do not have a hex to fit just use an open end wrench. When I did mine I found the interior corroded from water entry. That is why my brake light was out. Luckily Audi changed the whole lens out under warranty.. it costs $400.00 for that part!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

All sorted and figured I'd circle back with the details in case someone else needs it.

- To unfasten the whole tail light housing I had to unscrew that plastic piece sticking out. Didn't need a wrench, there was a hole in the column that I just put a screwdriver in and turned.
- After unscrewing that plastic piece the light unit came out pretty easy. I unscrewed the rubber ***** and the red plastic lens came off.
- Autozone told me I needed a Sylvania 7506 Bulb but it was actually a 921 (W16W). About $5 for 2.
- Replaced the bulb and put everything back and all set - easy peasy.

Thanks again for the feedback earlier.

-Don
Attached Images     
Old 11-23-2012, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

when i bought y a4 b8 recently i wondered how to get bulb out an **** figure it out, i couldnt find nywhre on net that shown or toldyou how to get it out, but i looke at my light an figured it out yself, now i found this discussion which tells you how,
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No tools needed

This is way easier than others have described. ...if you are talking about replacing the tail light on the tail gate, that is.

On the 2009+ A4 Avant (B8) there is a tail light assembly on the tail gate and one on the rear corner of the body. The light bulb that went out for me was on the tail gate. On each side of the tail gate, there are two tail light bulbs and one back up light bulb. All three can be accessed without tools, and is very easy!
  • With the tail gate open, look up underneath the gate, and pull the plastic cover off by pulling it to the side.
  • Inside you will find a red tab. Squeeze that tab and pull the unit out. This unit holds all three bulbs.
    [*}Replace bulbs as needed.
  • Reverse the process.

NOTE: BE SURE NOT TO TOUCH THE NEW BULB WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!! ANY CONTAMINATES ON THE BULB CAN MAKE IT BURN OUT FASTER!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProprtezAudi
NOTE: BE SURE NOT TO TOUCH THE NEW BULB WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!! ANY CONTAMINATES ON THE BULB CAN MAKE IT BURN OUT FASTER!
That is true for halogen lamps. Typically these are headlights and fog lights.The rear of the car has no halogen lamps, so you may touch the lamps.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by col66
when i bought y a4 b8 recently i wondered how to get bulb out an **** figure it out, i couldnt find nywhre on net that shown or toldyou how to get it out, but i looke at my light an figured it out yself, now i found this discussion which tells you how,
Of course it doesn't help that the owners manual basically says to take your car to your local dealer to replace the bulbs (!). I was shocked to see that because I believe in the US, vehicle lighting must be designed to be user serviceable. I know VW caught a lot of flack for designing the high center mounted brake light on the Mk5 GTI impossible to replace without a trip to a dealer. VW landed up offering a free replacement service just for that light.

Quick Reply: Changing Rear Brake light on Audi A4 Avant 2009 (B8)