S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Owners with out sports diff.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owners with out sports diff.

hey guys, i just ordered a quartz grey s4 loaded but with out sports diff and ads, and 19's. im wondering how is the drive like with out the sports diff. I originally ordered a 2010 sprint blue one but it was a different dealership with sports diff, but now that one is sold. so im wondering do you feel the pull? im asking because i couldnt test drive one with out sports diff. much help appreciated!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 30piece
hey guys, i just ordered a quartz grey s4 loaded but with out sports diff and ads, and 19's. im wondering how is the drive like with out the sports diff. I originally ordered a 2010 sprint blue one but it was at* a different dealership with sports diff, but now that one is sold. so im wondering do you feel the pull? im asking because i couldnt test drive one with out sports diff. much help appreciated!
sorry im new, i dont know how to delete the old post or edit it
Old 05-07-2010, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did they sell one you ordered?

Without sports diff - understeer

With sports diff - understeer gone

Many feel this is a must have for a car that is a sports sedan. I am one of those.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree with NWS4Guy. Without Sports Diff, the car can understeer and lean a bit at speed. But with Sports Diff, the car corners like it's on rails -- although you may need to learn how to take full advantage of it (case in point, keep reading).

When I first took delivery, I didn't immediately appreciate/feel the Sports Diff -- I was taking it easy, taking my foot off the accelerator when heading into turns, etc. It was only when I first accelerated into a turn that I truly discovered the difference. The car just sticks -- you can take turns with confidence at surprising speeds. And yes, you can feel the torque distribution at work.

It's still an engaging car without Sports Diff, but for what you get for $1,100, it's well worth it!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

i beat up on this subject for three days on this forum before i got mine, get the sport diff., beside the real world difference in cornering, the 3 settings for driving the car makes it the best of both worlds, a relaxed cruiser when needed, a sharp responsive sports car when the mood is right,for the money, you can't beat it.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes also valid are the points that you get 60% of what the 4K ADS package gives for the 1.1K price.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with what has been said. SA tried to convince me that I did not NEED it. And he is right. But now that I have experienced it, I feel that it is THE option that makes the S4 special. Not sure you can get a similar technology on many other cars. Please, do not buy an S4 without it. If you have even the smallest interest in performance(which you would have to if you are buying an S4)you will love it. Unfortunately, you will not ever apreciate what you are missing because the S4 without rear dif is still a great car. IMHO, it is totally worth the extra $1100. If you think you can't afford it, ditch the 19" wheels . Buy aftermarket wheels later.

Last edited by DrGP; 05-07-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
If you think you can't afford it, ditch the 19" wheels . Buy aftermarket wheels later.
Smart thinking DrGP -- would certainly prioritize Sports Diff over the 19" wheels. The 19s look great, but in terms of performance, the 18s have their own benefits, and they're also more compliant than the 19s on bad roads. Sports Diff is more bang for the same bucks, and you rightly point out that 19s can be added later, whereas Sports Diff cannot.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second what everyone else has said. Please od yourself a favor and get the S4 with Sports Diff. You won't be sorry.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by McGriddle
I second what everyone else has said. Please od yourself a favor and get the S4 with Sports Diff. You won't be sorry.
i've tried very hard to find one with sports diff, but everyone i have found does not have a sports diff. and i can't place a factory order and wait till semptember deliver.im currently located in ny going to move to cali in a month or so. with out sports diff. does 60% of the torque still goes to the back?

Quick Reply: Owners with out sports diff.