S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Clicking sounds from front suspension when turning steering wheel. Only when turning clockwise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sounds from front suspension when turning steering wheel. Only when turning clockwise.

Hello guys,

I have this sound when turning the steering wheel, sounds like something clicking,cracking. I did post similar question for this before, but now after going to the dealer, it seems it only happens when turning clockwise.

It doesn't make any sounds when turning steering wheel counterclockwise.
Dealer still could not figure out the issue, but they will keep looking they said.

Anyone had any luck with figuring out the cause for this issue?

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Clicking sounds from front suspension when turning steering wheel. Only when turning clockwise.

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anybody had a similar issue?

Definitely doesn't sound right, seems like something in front suspension is not right.

Interesting thing as I mentioned it seems to only do it when turning to the right, clockwise.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Clicking sounds from front suspension when turning steering wheel. Only when turning clockwise.

Not sure if you mean the sound is coming from the steering wheel itself or the suspension/drivetrain. If it is in the steering wheel, you probably have an issue with the collar assembly for the indicator cancel mechanism. If it is in the drivetrain, it is a CV joint, probably the right front outer. Get it done under warranty! Often the joints fail without tearing the boot and will not be visibly damaged without boot removal. Make sure your dealer pulls back the boots to inspect the joints. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:52 PM

Yeah well the sound is strange and it does sound like coming from front suspension.

Dealer did check everything and they said it looks good. Maybe as you said, it is CV joint and it did not tear the boot so they didn't see it.

I will have them check again.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 PM

Default I have the exact same problems with my 04 S4...more inside

I have clicking on both left and right rotations of the steering wheel, definately from the front suspension area. Dealer replaced both front wheel bearings ( so they said) under warranty, noise was gone for 2 days then slowly came back getting louder each day until about a week later sounded exactly the same. They then changed both front upper control arms. Still have the noise, I am lowered with H&R springs, so they gave me some story about a bearing at the top of the shock and the shock rotating when you turn the wheel and that the spring moving in its seat may be causing the noise. Won't diagnos any further without stock wheels and springs in the car. I just bought a set of stock springs on here and will install and bring back to the dealer next week to hopefully get this stuff figured out before my warranty expires on the 31st of october...Any help/ suggestions will be greatly appreciated as we all know the techs at the dealer cant really think too well for themselves...
Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 AM

Default Re: I have the exact same problems with my 04 S4...more inside

Hello Eric,

I saw your email about this as well.
I had this clicking noise when I would turn the steering wheel to the right or clockwise.

The car was at the dealership getting other work done and they were finally able to figure out the noise. Took two visits for them to find an issue.

The issue was both upper control arms on the driver front and the bushings on them were all cracked. Tech explained to me that when I would turn clockwise control arms would bend and make this clicking sound.

Now that noise is gone, at least for now.
Car drives better as well, seems suspension got firmer and the car has better steering response after upper control arms replacement.

I do see that you already had upper control arms replaced and still have the noise, so maybe it is something else? Maybe H&Rs make this sound?

Sorry if I could not be more of a help.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:15 PM

Default I thought it could be the control arms as well, but when they were changed, its still there...

maybe it really is the springs and they're just not seated correctly after all...We'll see, I'll have a set on wed and hopefully get them in on thursday... Thanks for the reply
Eric
Old 02-16-2021, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same sound on both sides. so I lubed the lower and upper control arms rubber bushings (noticeably they were worn out).
There are 2 upper and 2 lower control arms. The noise went away on the side I lubed. So there's the culprit.
Found the link below in here. If it help you as well.
https://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/a/...gnostic-421181