A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 anti-roll bars on an A8

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I was venting my frustration in having purchased new links and waiting for the S8 bars. Romney told me a week for them to recieve and then shipment. The call came after waiting a week.
Understand product liability issues. My employer would not tell that you could use Sport bars on a regular suspension. This swap is not a safety issue, but who would decides when random parts swapping came be a liability concern. It is much cleaner to not be involved in any non-recommended use.
I will put my new links on my old bars and suspect this will be a tighter ride. The control arm bushings may be noticeable also.
If the bushings on the stock bars are worn, I will source replacements from www.audiusaparts.com. They had my best inrterests in mind in not selling the S8 bars. Not just grubbing a sale.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default An update on anti-sway bars

If the bushings on the stock bars are worn, I will source replacements from www.audiusaparts.com. They had my best inrterests in mind in not selling the S8 bars. Not just grubbing a sale.[/QUOTE]

I received a follow up on my canceled order. Audiusaparts will gladly order the S8 bars for my A8. And accept a return if they do not fit. There will be a 20% restocking fee if returned.
Since they feel they will not fit, this is very fair. BUT, time has tempered my NEED to have S8 bars. Driving around on toll roads and Interstate, the version of anti-sway bar is not critical.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Old tread? Well, I was not here when it was on.

I replaced front stock sway bar with 31.4 mm bar. It is the thickest of three and should be S8's. It fits without any problem.

Now I want to complete the job with the rear one. ETKA and online catalogs are quite confusing. There should be three different bars: without sport suspension, with sport suspension and S8, but it's all mixed (looks mixed to me ). They are 18 mm and 20 mm, probably solid (fronts are hollow). I would expect that the thickest one is S8 but that part is already mixed in ETKA. So, it would be highly appreciated if anybody who is sure that he has S8 bar measure it and clear this confusion.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default S8 rear bar part # and old info...

Originally Posted by mishar
Old tread? Well, I was not here when it was on.

I replaced front stock sway bar with 31.4 mm bar. It is the thickest of three and should be S8's. It fits without any problem.

Now I want to complete the job with the rear one. ETKA and online catalogs are quite confusing. There should be three different bars: without sport suspension, with sport suspension and S8, but it's all mixed (looks mixed to me ). They are 18 mm and 20 mm, probably solid (fronts are hollow). I would expect that the thickest one is S8 but that part is already mixed in ETKA. So, it would be highly appreciated if anybody who is sure that he has S8 bar measure it and clear this confusion.
The part # and a bunch of "how to" was in my old post on this; still cross linked in my auto sig, along w/ the front one. S8 Roll Bar Mod, Part 1--rear: backgrounder & step by step of how to really do it (non-Bentley!) - AudiWorld Forums Part # you will find there is 3D0-511-407B, plus a bunch more info. Notice the "how to" is...not surprisingly...not the same as Bentley's overly work intensive approach. The key is that just like a steering rack, the rear bar should come out and back in through the wheel area, not be straight dropped down, which in turn saves a boatload of steps and hassle.

The pic's for that old thread are still in my photo library BTW, even if AW somehow messed up the links along the way. My sport level bar part # that I pulled out of the then stock W12 vs. the replacement S8 bar: Audi Picture by MP4.2+6.0 | 1155401 | Audiworld --what is labeled "picture 1" in the old thread. If you move backward or forward from there in the photo album, you will also find others referred to in the prior post text.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-31-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks MP. I tried reading this some time ago but without pictures it was not really easy to understand. Now I managed with the other link. It would be nice if you find time to link those pictures again. I believe that there is more interest in this mod now than back then. New kids are on board.

I found measures I needed. Tomorrow I will order S8's rear sway bar.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default I will vent here at AudiWorld--old and new

Sorry it is hard to follow. The wonders of AW clearly screwed it up. I put a ton of work into that originally, and their updating over the years seems to have trashed it. I'm reluctant to be both their free content provider AND their cleaner-upper for technical errors they created somehow. I think they should own that problem, and I'll say it here.

I'm also annoyed because off and on for over a month I have not been able to access newer posts unless I switch out of threaded mode. I find the other modes annoying, and impossible to post replies at the right sub level to a prior response. When I see responses not tied to a prior response in the outline/caption structure, I have trouble following them. If others like them, great, but not for me. Sometimes I can access them in threaded mode only a day later, other times a few hours, sometimes right away. I have complained now several times to the mods right when the issue arises, who respond quickly and pretty faithfully to look at it. I follow whatever suggestions they have on my end each time. But when the rubber meets the road as it were, it has not improved reliability wise and several requests in now, it's getting old. Happens to me most every day, like today, and yesterday, and the day before and... I also saw your post over on the feedback board about the data base errors, which I also had some weeks ago and for several days.

I post this here to variously vent, get the board to know that this is 100% directly "costing" added content at least from me (often when it happens I now just click on QuattroWorld or elsewhere said bluntly), and have it be more known there are issues for AW to fix. Old issues like the picture goof alos mess up archival quality, which I have also seen before.

End of venting.

Meanwhile on the rear bar, it sounds like you are on the right track now parts wise. The key is NOT following Bentley, but rather pulling it out from the wheel area and reinstalling the same way. I know from other threads you know about the parts in the rear suspension that will throw off the alignment if you don't mark them before removing, which is necessary to pull it out the side.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-01-2014 at 12:00 AM.