A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Rotor and Pad Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default My Rotor and Pad Install

Hey guys. Thought I'd post up a thread on my recent experience while changing the pads and rotors on my W12. I bought the car with roughly 54k miles on it. Both front and rear rotors were original and the pads I'm guessing were the second pair that went with the rotors. I could have used both the front and rear rotors one more time, but I wanted an all new setup. So IMO the rotors are good for 2-3 pad cycles.

The setup I went with was Adam's rotors double slotted with the newest "special" coating, along with painted hubs and grill vents. The pads I went with were EBC redstuff for front and rear. The pads I ordered from Amazon.

Install difficulty:
Just normal tools were involved, nothing special required. Main issue was getting the rear pins off the rear calipers, they were on super tight and required me to use my foot to push the wrench to get it loose. Rear pad/rotor changed involved using VCDS: going into the parking brake module, releasing brakes, hitting go. Turned off car, for about 2 hours while doing pads/rotors. Turned on car ACC and closed parking brake, pumped brakes to gain pressure, then set pad thickness under the adaptation dropdown. (10mm)

While I had the calipers off and loose I painted them. As you can see in the pictures I did a much better job on the rear, but they all came out very nicely. Overall the performance of the new pad/rotor combo is excellent. When coming to a quick stop they definitely grab, and there isn't any pulsation, but there is quite a lot of feeling of the car really grabbing. At time of fitting I also added H&R wheel spacers. 15mm to each side in the front and 20mm to each side in the back. Now it has a real nice aggressive stance that fills the wheel wells. Same setup that MP4.2 + 6.0 incorporated. Overall I am very satisfied with the whole setup.

I also included pictures of the LED license plate bulbs I have, as well as an engine pic when it was in the garage; because well... it's beautiful.

Hope the thread helps guys!

Last edited by Brozee; 03-05-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pictures! Thansk for sharing!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's awesome, especially, I am assuming, the custom 4-ring logo. Nice touch...
Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice job. How about picture of a front caliper and some with wheels on?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Sweet, I had to do the same thing when I got my D3. My fronts were metal to metal. I've always preferred cross drilled rotors. I know it's always been Chevy vs Fords in the cross drilled vs slotted rotors. I had my tech do it but did not have time to paint the calipers. I had to do the brakes so I could drive the car and could not take up a bay at the shop for too long. Now I have to get time to replace the stainless steel lines and brake fluid that I've had for 6 months now.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Cost

Great instal, how have they been holding up? What was the total price for rotors and pads? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Seem to be working nicely. Have really good bite and look nice as well. I got a deal on the rotors for $550 shipped with all enhancements to the rotors. The pads came to around $120 for the front and $70-80 for the rear.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Brozee for the write up. I am feeling a decent amount of pulsation through the peddle on easy breaking. Hard stops and it really isn't noticeable. Have been wanting a project I can do myself and you made it seem very manageable.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Might not be brakes--

Originally Posted by Gzila850
Thanks Brozee for the write up. I am feeling a decent amount of pulsation through the peddle on easy breaking. Hard stops and it really isn't noticeable. Have been wanting a project I can do myself and you made it seem very manageable.
FWIW, that could also be tie rod ends or other suspension items, or sometimes a slightly unbalance wheel (likely front) or even a tire with a broken belt or other internal issue. If you have some miles on your car or haven't had tires balanced recently, you might check those too.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey what was the part # on the pads? I searched for them an amazon and could not find the front ones with the sensor.

Thank you in advance

Quick Reply: My Rotor and Pad Install