The final showdown at Carlisle and how fast things can go very wrong - Auto-X...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The final showdown at Carlisle and how fast things can go very wrong - Auto-X...

The CGT was the very last car to take on the track with about one hour delay (3:30 start; 2:30 planned).
Given that it is a short track, you'll have to use the first lap to warm up tires and brakes.
After I crossed the start line and got the green flag I pushed the throttle full down, 2nd gear towards the first corner, a 90 degree turn/right.

When approaching this turn, the car faces the crowd not too far behind the fence.
And here, things got badly wrong; I set her up all the way to the left on the track and ready to brake very very late.
Close to the turn I push in the clutch and simultaniously step on the brakes - Nada, nothing, niente - no response at all. The brake pedal is on the floor and I have to make a very fast decesion because the car is literally shooting toward the fence/spectators.

A "forced" and not so healthy down shift into 1st and a tab on the e-brake saved the day, I got her sideways and forced the rear end to do a 180 to face the track again, released the e-brake briefly, set it in neutral and was finally able to stop her completely....Ughhhh!

All of this happened within a couple of seconds, the SCCA guy came running to the car and I told him that it just lost brakes completely, his comment: ecxellent save of the car, this could have been a close call for disaster; but thanks for the action, we don't see such driving here too often, Please come again ;-)

Front left bleeding screw broke off and popped out, don't ask how this could happen, I have no idea......so there you have it - Carlisle can be fun and action :-)
Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know I've aks this before but, what's yer suspension setup on the coupe??

spring rates, bushings, bars, and alignment????
Old 05-21-2007, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice save!!!! Glad it didnt break when you let me take it for a spin Sunday morn. Thanx !!!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, good save. Glad nobody got hurt and you are alright!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:48 AM

Default There is nothing to it really; Bilstein touring shocks, Eibach springs and 4KQ sway bar

I'm not 100% sure on the spring rate, but Eibach is usually a bit soft: Eibach Pro-Kit: F 165lbs; R 140lbs to complement the Bilsteins. For "real" track events the Bilsteins are swapped with Yellow Koni's.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:52 AM

Default Oh yeah, believe me, I felt the same way that it happened at the right time and everyone walked away

w/o getting hurt or worse. Sometimes a little bit of luck goes a long way ;-)
Old 05-21-2007, 05:56 AM

Thanks, feel the same way - rather lots of car damage than people get hurt.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Holy crap! Nice work...glad the 1st gear grab didn't damage the motor...
Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 AM

Default The split milli-second when the brakes engaged had the rear brakes in a brief "locked" position but

just enough to the trigger the down shift and risk engine damage, which luckely didn't happen ;-)

If the rear would not have shown any response then things would have turned out differently, the e-brake would have to do all the work w/o engine support - and that's tricky to do as well ;-)

I believe the new engine and transmission mounts played a big role in keeping it together, otherwise it would have ripped something, either engine or tranny.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yikes!! 165's? I'm thinking of moving up from 380's to 500 pounders in front (no pun intended)!!

Do you have a rear bar??? that car absolutley has to have a rear bar, also try 0.20 deg of toe out per side in the front.
If you want to go to the trouble "E-Z shim" the rear for 0.10deg per side of toe out, stock it's slightly toed in.
The difference in turn in is night and day!

Quick Reply: The final showdown at Carlisle and how fast things can go very wrong - Auto-X...