Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Will non-studded snow tires make any difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will non-studded snow tires make any difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCyQ3emQg
Old 11-26-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

It will help some - as will the Audi Ice driving schools. But on black ice you really are in crap shoot as to what can happen.
Even with the school which will teach you not to hit the brakes and how to turn into the skids and look for snow area to gain traction - one may not have enough room to prevent hitting something before one can regain control.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How about this one? The driveway doesn't look too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX9MVhPc-h0
Old 11-30-2010, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by tubi
How about this one? The driveway doesn't look too bad.
Yep - Ice does not look like he had AWD or snows
Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are many folks who will swear that studded tires are the only way to go on ice. I have to admit--they work well. Then there are others (like me) who think that the new winter snow/ice tires are the perfect solution. I don't like the noise or the wet road handling of studded tires--and see them shredding our road surfaces for 90% of the time we don't have bad weather. I agree--ice driving school is a great start--but as you can see from all the recent Seattle ice storm videos--we have a long way to go to make any improvement in skill levels.

As a survivor of the storm shown in these videos I can tell you that Quattro and snow tires are the answer to most of the problems shown. The other is to stop trying to defy the laws of physics and stay off those untreated steep hills--there were many "heroes" who wanted to prove something (Subarau Legacy sliding down Queen Anne hill into Audi...ouch that's hard to watch)and there are others who simply should not be out in any weather much less solid ice. Metro bus system was the number 1 cause of most drama--what part of chaining up the rear drive wheels of an articulated 60k pound bus and expecting it to move on any kind of incline or turn makes any sense??? The bus shown in the video was not an articulated model but what business did he have even attempting that hill. We went through all of this a couple years ago--and evidently few lessons were learned. La Nina--we already love you....uh-huh...
Old 12-01-2010, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by stampede253
There are many folks who will swear that studded tires are the only way to go on ice. I have to admit--they work well. Then there are others (like me) who think that the new winter snow/ice tires are the perfect solution. I don't like the noise or the wet road handling of studded tires--and see them shredding our road surfaces for 90% of the time we don't have bad weather. I agree--ice driving school is a great start--but as you can see from all the recent Seattle ice storm videos--we have a long way to go to make any improvement in skill levels.

As a survivor of the storm shown in these videos I can tell you that Quattro and snow tires are the answer to most of the problems shown. The other is to stop trying to defy the laws of physics and stay off those untreated steep hills--there were many "heroes" who wanted to prove something (Subarau Legacy sliding down Queen Anne hill into Audi...ouch that's hard to watch)and there are others who simply should not be out in any weather much less solid ice. Metro bus system was the number 1 cause of most drama--what part of chaining up the rear drive wheels of an articulated 60k pound bus and expecting it to move on any kind of incline or turn makes any sense??? The bus shown in the video was not an articulated model but what business did he have even attempting that hill. We went through all of this a couple years ago--and evidently few lessons were learned. La Nina--we already love you....uh-huh...
Well said