Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Vibrating when over 60mph...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrating when over 60mph...

At slower speed, it drives normal at all. But when it reaches around 60mph, you can feel that the car starts shaking. any ideas?

un-rounded tires? bent rims? wheel bearings?

thx in advance~
Old 07-05-2005, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Or maybe: (1) hub not centered, or (2) wheel weight fallen off? ...>

Vibration over 60mph used to be a classic symptom of a non-hub-centric wheel problem on Hondas... don't know if Audis/VWs suffer the same symptoms.

Also, check to make sure one of your wheel balancing weights hasn't fallen off (look for the telltale mark where it used to be)

~john
Old 07-05-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Vibrating when over 60mph...

SteadySupreme:

Hub not centered and wheel weight falllen off are to valid situations that cause vibrations, but if that is all ok, you may want to check air pressures (set them to factory specs), how much lbs. of torque you used on lug bolts, or it could be the road force is to heavy. My advice is find out which wheel is causing the vibration by rotating the wheels around. Once you find that wheel, take it to be balanced and road force tested by a Hunter 9700 machine. It will let you know exactly whats wrong with the wheel and /or tire.

Leo
leo@edgeracing.com
800-489-5353 ext. 211
Old 07-05-2005, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thx both of your great advice...

i will go spin all my rims, and see which one is wobbling. Then take them out to inspect the wheel weights are off or not.

thx once again~
Old 07-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

Default Make sure the shop knows how to use the GSR9700.

I've yet to find a shop in my area that doesn't use one as if it's a Coats/10... They have no clue how to use it's features that makes it the end-all-be-all of wheel vibration diagnostics.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Usually un-round tires and bent wheels will vibrate at lower speeds.

Bearings usually make noise but typically wont cause a vibration, unless they are extremely loose.

Like people have suggested, do you have hub centric wheels? If your wheels are OE, then yes. You don't have to worry about that. It you have aftermarket wheels, you need to make sure you have or get a set of hub rings.

In most cases, the tires are usually out of balance. Vibration at hwy speeds is a classic symptom for out of balanced tires.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by $teady$upreme
At slower speed, it drives normal at all. But when it reaches around 60mph, you can feel that the car starts shaking. any ideas?

un-rounded tires? bent rims? wheel bearings?

thx in advance~
Could be any of the items - though I doubt the bearings. Have you had the tires rebalanced?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also have this issue. Even when I had my OEM 15" wheels i could feel the vibration a bit. I assumed it was a tire out of balance but i didnt think too much of it because not long after i bought a set of TSW Stowe wheels and Kumho 4X tires, now the problem is even worse at 60-75 mph and it is driving me crazy. I have had the wheels/tires rebalanced three times and even replaced one tire due to excessive roadforce issues. Then I had taken it to an audi authorized shop to have it fully inspected. They said the wheels/tires looked fine, suspension and everything look ok. The only thing they could find was that my Motor mounts were both bad. Now I have not replaced them due to the insane amount of money they wanted to do the job< i hope to get it done soon myself, but The vibration i am feeling strongly resembels that of an out of balance tire, not a buzzing vibration form the motor...what are your thoughts guys?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Motomainac77, if you've ruled out a tire / wheel issue, the next most common thing is a CV Axle. They might not make noise but get out of tolerance and cause vibrations. They typically vibrate more when accelerating or decelerating. Motor mounts can cause vibrations but it's usually something that rotates.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
Motomainac77, if you've ruled out a tire / wheel issue, the next most common thing is a CV Axle. They might not make noise but get out of tolerance and cause vibrations. They typically vibrate more when accelerating or decelerating. Motor mounts can cause vibrations but it's usually something that rotates.
2nd that. Rotor/brake issues can also cause the issue but very very rare

Quick Reply: Vibrating when over 60mph...