Notices
Vehicles For Sale - Archive (NO NEW POSTS HERE) This section is sortable by model. Please include the prefix for your car's model when posting.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Audi Other FS: 2013 Audi S6 (C7?) Estoril Blue 7,700 miles

Old 07-17-2014, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FS: 2013 Audi S6 (C7?) Estoril Blue 7,700 miles

Copied from the S6 forum with all my love/hate blathering about opinions of this car. If your interested in an S6 low mileage in great condition, this could be yours for a very fair price. Car is located in Eastern PA. Delivery options may be available if you're near Minneapolis, Des Moines, Omaha, etc.

Although I love my S6, insurance is getting costly, I'm getting older, and my girlfriend and I are thinking of acquiring a motorhome and having a mobile home that gets almost as much mileage as the S6 (looking at an RV based on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis.

If it's OK, I'll tell you what I've got and ask for suggestions as to what it may be worth in trade, or if anyone is interested, what it's worth to sell. Here's what I've got:

A 2013 S6 in Estoril Blue. Took delivery early in April from Knopf Automotive. Mileage is currently 7,700. It has the following options (just about everything but rear side airbags and rear heated seats).

Estoril Blue Crystal Effect Paint.
LED headlights
Adaptive cruise control
Lane assist
Brake warning
B&O audio system
19" stock wheels with snow tires mounted on them (Bridgestone Blizzak 245/40R19)
19" Hartmann wheels with OEM wheels mounted on them (Pirelli P Zero)
Both sets of wheels have warranty coverage for 4 years.
Carbon fiber trim
Audi Connect 3 year subscription.
Audi connect kit set of 4 wires (RCA, Blue plug, Red plug, headphone plug). A waste of almost $300, but it's there.
Rubber floor mats with S6 logo (for the ego minded).

What did I forget?

Paint is in excellent condition with one tiny chip on the hood about 1/16". There is also a slight mar in the rear corner that can be easily buffed out.

Car was broken in very carefully for the first 1,000 miles. 10,000 mile service was done at 4,000 miles. Audio system also carefully broken in. I tried launch control once at about 2,000 miles. And I think I took it up to about 130 once. Maybe over 100 half a dozen times for a few miles. I often put it into Sport Mode at traffic lights to avoid lag at left turns with oncoming traffic. Never pushed it, or jack rabbit starts. (Except for trying launch control)

I'd like to know what it's worth in trade. KBB says between $57k and $59k.

I'd prefer to sell it to an Audiworld member rather than trade it to a dealer who'll jack the price up. I'm willing to sell it for a fair trade in value plus the amount I save in tax for the RV I'm buying. (e.g. If I'm offered $58,000 in trade, I'd want $61,480 in a private sale). But being traded for an RV, chances are they're going to low ball me, since they'll just turn it over to a wholesaler auction. Unless of course the dealer is in a midlife crisis and wants a conservative sleeper that can blow the doors off most cars on the road.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd keep the S6, or get another S model. After having it for a year I've learned to love and hate it. What do I love and hate about it?

The color. It's beautiful, and changes with the weather, from bright blue to almost black. But too many cars are coming out with similar shades of blue. I wish I spent the extra bucks for a unique custom color.

Throttle lag. It's not turbo lag. It's Audi programming the ECU for bad drivers. Flicking the shifter into sport mode pretty much solved the problem, but they could have done a better job. The transmission is too jerky when decelerating in dynamic mode.

The suspension. Smooth if you want it. Tight if you want it. And being able to raise the car with the press of a button for speed bumps or sharp dips in the road.

The front brakes. How big do you really need the calipers to be to stop this car. They do the job, but they severely limit the wheels you can choose from. Would S7 owners be disappointed if they gave the S6 wheel wells a little more bulge, and a look like the wheels were packed in there with a few millimeters to spare.

Oil filter. Why couldn't the put the filter where you didn't have to raise the car and disassemble it to reach the oil filter. No room to spare, or just making an $800 service contract, which mostly amounts to changing the oil, seem worthwhile.

Front grille. In America, lots of states don't require front plates. Why do they have to build the grille with three of the horizontal gaps filled in in a dull matte grey color. Give me an RS grille. You can even charge me for it if you made it a direct swap. Or, if you look at the pictures they took of the launch cars, the grilles aren't filled in. So decent grilles exist. Audi just won't sell you them.

Navigation/GPS. Most of the data for GPS's come from the same place. Good GPS's also have learning functionality. I live 12 miles from my Audi dealer. About 5 are on an interstate. 3 on a main route, and 4 on a well traveled two lane road. The Audi GPS wants me to go 18 miles or more. It tells me to go 3 miles farther on the interstate and wind my way back to my house. If I get off at the correct exit, it wants me to go 4 miles past the correct turn. Adding over 6 miles and 15 minutes to the trip. When I get to the proper turn it says I'm 10 miles and 20 minutes from home. If I make the turn, it recalculates to 5 miles and 9 minutes. It sucks so bad, I keep a Garmin on my windshield. And I've started using Waze on my phone, which is faster, more accurate, and maps are always up to date. The Audi GPS is the worst I've ever come across.

MMI. With touch screen tablets so advanced now, why not ditch the MMI and put a nice Android tablet in its place. Split screen. Passenger override to watch DVDs or streaming video. Advanced mapping. Weather w/radar. Voice command. And something that doesn't require a PhD to operate.

Headrests. Why do rear seats have to have headrests that usually only serve to block your view. Why can't the develop headrest that retract into the seats, so they don't block your view, or have to be removed to put the seat backs down. And there is certainly no reason that seat backs can't be designed to fold flat.

Mileage. Cylinder deactivation seems to be an interesting feature. How much it actually saves is unsure. I do a lot of rural, non highway miles and average about 17 mpg. On the highway, driving moderately, it'll climb to 27 or 28. On curvy roads with a bit of attention, mileage might drop to 12, but that's pretty rare. Even with a spirited attitude, 15 mpg or better is quite common. When I go to reset the trip computer at gas stops, I'm typically seeing 17-20 numbers. My GF usually gets 26-28, but doesn't realize she's doing 85 because the car is so smooth and quiet.

I could go on, but I actually do love the S6. I do have one final gripe, though. And I think the executives or marketing VPs responsible should be strung up by their gonads. It is the Avant one of the most popular body styles in Europe, and other than the body shape is probably identical to the sedan. It looks beautiful. It's extremely functional. Probably as safe or safer than a sedan. But not only can you not buy one, you can't fly to Germany a get one through the European delivery program. That is infuriating. In a few informal surveys on this forum, almost everyone said they'd prefer an Avant to a sedan or hatchback. So why won't they get them approved for US sale. Two words... Soccer moms. It would deplete the market for moronic SUVs. So to add insult to injury, if you liked the Avants, you can buy a wimpy 4 cylinder, unattractive Allroad.

In the world of fine German automobiles, Mercedes are for status oriented luxury. BMWs are for yuppyish people who can appreciate well crafted, reliable machines, but want people to know it. Porsches are for egotists who need to go fast, and don't want enough room for children, or to choose between their wives or golf clubs. And Audis are for drivers. Not too ostentatious, ample technology, and surprisingly understated performance. If I took the rings off the back, the S6 could almost be mistaken for a Kia, Hyundai, or Ford.

Well, enough of my ranting. Any advice on where, how, or what I should do to sell my car; or what a reasonable trade in value would be would certainly most appreciated.

As an aside, I'm about to take the plunge into an RV (Mercedes chassis, Class A). If anyone has any suggestion for a newbie, PM me offline. I'd be happy to hear anything worth knowing. Maybe Audi should get into the RV market. Something that looks like a giant TT, or an old Airstream. The could put steering at both ends, so you could drive it for either end.
Last edited by jascooper; Today at 03:18 PM.
J