Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning about VAG-COM programming guidelines on OOOO-A3 site

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning about VAG-COM programming guidelines on OOOO-A3 site

As some of you may already know, a 2006 A3 owner ran a really great A3 mod blog called OOOO-A3 (http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/). He has since moved on to another car, but all of his write-ups are still there.

The VAG-COM instructions are excellent. However, they are based on an earlier version of the software. I ran into a problem with one of them. It has to deal with enabling auto operation of the windows via the remote (you press and hold "lock", the open windows go up; you press and hold "unlock", the windows go down). The instructions provide updates to Bytes 3, 4, and 5. However, all that is really needed is 5. Updating Bytes 3 and 4 resulted in my fuel door no longer responding to the switch. Had I not been low on gas and went to refuel after making the change, I might not have noticed for several days and been screwed--possibly having to pry open the door and ruin it.

I don't know how many other procedures outlined might now introduce unwanted changes. If you do follow them, I strong recommend checking all essential car functionality, to be sure something unintended didn't happen.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect that the inconsistency you found is not due to the version of VCDS software that you have, but rather the version of your car versus his. The specific bytes that need to be modified have nothing to do with VCDS. Rather it is a function of the version of the car that you have, and if you have MMI 2G versus MI 3G versus no MMI it really makes a huge difference. Whenever giving or asking advice about VCDS always be specific as to what year and model car you have and which version MMI.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 8P-chassis A3 model doesn't have what I would consider to be a true MMI at all, but I concur that the inconsistency is likely a different Central Convenience Module. There were a number of different CCMs used in these cars with different lengths of coding strings.

One should never assume that Bit X of Byte Y has the same meaning in two different cars unless they have EXACTLY the same control module in them, or unless the documentation the the Long Coding Helper in VCDS confirms that the bit(s) in question DO have the same function.

-Uwe-