Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with VAG COM

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with VAG COM

I'm a new owner and have just been taking it all in as far as the VAG-COM cable. I'm a software developer so the idea of plugging into my car appeals to me, but I have to confess that I'm confused as far as what I actually need and can't make sense of the ross tech website.

I have an 2013 Audi A3 (the first in chicago as far as the dealer told me). Does anybody know what actual product I would need? Is there a chance this information isn't known yet due to the cars having just hit the US in the past week?

The only think I really care about at the moment is enabling VIM, but for the cost of the cable I'm wondering if it makes more sense to just pay a mechanic to do it for me? Is that something that mechanics will do or is it considered illegal, unethical to ask them..?

Looking forward to chatting here now that I have joined the ranks of audi owners. Thanks for any info!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The HEX-CAN interface should work on your A3.
Many of the very newest models have not been updated yet on the WIKI.

There is a list of controllers here, and I'm sure Ross-Tech is working feverishly to update the information http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...Cabriolet_(8P)

And a list of tweaks here http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...(8P/FM)_Tweaks

If in doubt, definitely call them them at +1 267 638 2300
Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah great - thanks!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't have some info for the new models. Give them a call to order the correct cable and ask which settings to use for VIM. You will need a program to generate the unlock code.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Ross Tech cable and feel it is worth the cost. I can scan the car whenever needed, make settings changes, and log parameters in real time. Some people only want or need one scan or one change and so it may be better to pay a dealer or indy shop to do the work or post a request for help in the regional forum--most cable owners will make a change for you if you provide a six pack or something similar

Additional thoughts: dealers sometimes help owners with some quick changes, but I doubt they would do VIM as this is illegal in some States AFAIK. Some drivers have complained that dealer updates during maintenance have sometimes wiped out changes. I haven't had this happen but it would be just a minor issue for me since I have the cable and can make the changes again.