VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I scanned my car because my coolant temp sensor light was on and this is what I got...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I scanned my car because my coolant temp sensor light was on and this is what I got...

So, my coolant temp light came on and my engine is running a bit rough. I scanned it and got these codes:

2 DTCs Found:
17952 - Throttle Actuation Pot (G187): Signal too Large
35-10 - - - Intermittent

17580 - Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Sign.2 Signal too Low
35-10 - - - Intermittent

I just had my O2 and MAF sensors replaced. I think the coolant temp sensor is fine because the temp gauges in the dash look normal. And, there's plenty of coolant and it's not running low.

Any experts out there wanna have a crack at this?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I scanned my car because my coolant temp sensor light was on and this is what I got...

First as for the coolant warning light. It comes on for two reasons. A the coolant is low. The sensor is mounted in the bottom of the tank, make sure it's plugged in, if they just worked on your car, this is likely the cause. Also, be sure the coolant level is up to the seam when the engine is COLD. The other reason is overheat. The signal comes from G62 (4 wire sensor in coolant pipe) the signal for the gauge as well as the engine cont. unit origonate from here. The engine portion fails often, triggering a coolant temp. code, but I believe the gauge and overheat use the other signal wire. This sensor fails so often, I would change it (unless the tank was unplugged) before going further. The other likely cause would be if the sensor in the tank whent bad. You can not test it by jumping or disconnecting the wires so if you have eliminated the other causes, or if the tank is baked/cracking, change it. I have had a few of these go bad.

As for the throtle codes, clear the codes, go into basic settings KOEO (Key on engine off), punch in display field 60. VAG-COM will adapt the throtle, when complete it will say "ADAPT.(or TEST) OK". Takes about 15 seconds. And just see if anything comes back over the next few days. If the car was just worked on the throtle may have been disconnected, and the key turned on, thus setting the codes. You didn't mention that the check engine light was on so the ECM is likely waiting for the DTCs to occur again before tripping the MIL (two trip code). If the codes do come back, though it is not a common problem, it is likely the throtle body, as the audis are pretty good about identifiing the component on these perticular codes.

A good measuring block to look at in any of the OBDII Audis is #32. it is your average fuel trim at idle and off idle. If everything is running well all fields will be -4% to +4%, ideally around 0%. For a full discription go to the Ross-tech website and find it in the manual under fuel trim. A very good explanation.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wow! Amazing diagnosis!! I guess you're called the Audi Doctor for a reason!

Thanks! I'm going to follow your instructions and recommendations when I get home from work today.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I could not locate Display Field 60 in my VAG-COM software?

It has Display Field:

55 - H. Light Range
65 - Tire Pressure

But skips 60. I also looked on the Ross-Tech page and couldn't find anything about Display Field 60:

I am using Release 208.1, is there another way around this Doc Audi?<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/applications/a4s4.html">http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/applications/a4s4.html</a</li></ul>
Old 09-30-2007, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Open the engine control module, "01", Engine Electronics, record then erase any existing DTCs,

then enter read measuring block 060, ...Next, select "basic settings", and the adaptation for the throttle valve will run for several seconds, when completed, the "ADAPTATION OK" will be displayed. Close basic settings, and exit the engine electronics, turn off the ignition key for a couple of minutes. Drive the car for awhile, and recheck for any throttle valve or EPC DTCs.