Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help - 01045 and 00652

2003 Audi TT 180hp FWD, 6 speed Tip-tronic

Error codes from VAG-COM
01045 Tip-tronic Switch F189
00652 Transmission Shift-Range

I bought the car used and initially there was no problem at all with the shifting. Then as the battery problem started, the shifting problem would start after about an hour, to after 30 min, to after 10 min, and now it is soon as I leave the drive-way.

I kind of think an electronic part got fried from the "bad" battery the car had in it. The battery was so messed up it would cause the stereo to "blink" with no keys in the car and then it would reset it and I would have to enter the code every time I started the car. I didn't realize the battery had a problem until it progressed to the point the car would need a jump to start it.

Here is what happens:
After you drive the car for more than ten minutes, the car will start to down shift hard. You really get a jolt going from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. Once the hard shifting starts, it will start to slip upshifting from 3rd to 4th like it is still in neutral then it will find the gear eventualy. Drive it for another ten minutes and you find yourself unable to get into any gear.

When in manual mode you can see it shifting on the instrument cluster but it just doesn't find the gear and if your not at the "right" RPM when you do find the gear you get a violent jolt.

Regardless of which mode you are in--manual or automatic--it will do pretty mush the same thing.

I've taken apart enough of the shifter and got down to the circut board and I think there is another part down there but I can't figure out how to take off the shift **** or shifter itself to take more of it apart. I was able to see the two magnets and there didn't seem to be any slippage or anything that looked abnormal to me. Any instruction on how to disassemble it further would be greatly appreciated.

I've researched the codes but I don't know if the F189 is the circut board or tip-tronic switch or what?

Also, it seems that it could be something to do with corrosion or contact issues with the wiring harness to the Transmission Multi-function Switch.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.