Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Backup Camera Calibration

I've retrofitted backup camera to my A8L and it works fine except for guide lines that are not accurate. I've tried to calibrate camera many times using VCDS and following the instructions but no luck. I found a few posts on different forums from people who could not complete calibration using VCDS and none who completed it. People states that it is not possible to calibrate camera with VCDS and I am not far from agreeing with them. That procedure is clear but it doesn't work. Can you guys from Ross-Tech look into it and help?

Another thing hard to understand is camera height under Coding. What exactly is "normal height" and why additional height. In my opinion it would make sense to subtract some from the height if car is lowered, but I can't imagine when the addition would be used.

P.S. Guys who made it where using VAS-PC and say it took 15 minutes. I looked into it and values required are just simple strait forward camera height, template height from the floor and template distance from the rear axle. Unfortunately I do not have that program.

Last edited by mishar; 10-11-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try this procedure and I think we have successful reports:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...Back-Up_Camera

Honestly, if it were my car, I'd just bring it to the dealer. The difficulty/expense of making/buying the target just for setting up once, probably wouldn't be worth it.

As for the height question, different markets may have higher suspension settings.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately it didn't help at all.

Making a template is really easy and compared to a dealers average three hours for the calibration is a real bargain. Besides that it is kinda unusual advice from somebody selling DIY equipment. I myself always recommend VCDS scan instead going to a dealer. Why would you do the opposite?

I know about procedure you linked. I tried it at least 20 times. It is very hard to understand parts of it. As I asked, what is Camera height 1-8? It is a bit better in those instructions within the program, but it also starts with "Normal Height". What exactly is normal height? Than you can add quite a bit. I can not imagine market where A8 would be 100 mm higher than "normal".

Next thing in that procedure are those two "magic" numbers 500 mm and 20000 mm. Not that it is too complicated to calculate that, but is it necessary? Couldn't that be part of the program as it is same for all cars? As it is it just brings up more questions when the procedure fails.

I couldn't find a single success story using VCDS. Can you point me to some. I may learn something from those guys.