UR Quattro vs E30 m3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UR Quattro vs E30 m3?

Hey thought i'd ask here to get some opinions..

I'm looking for a new car, and ive pretty much narrowed it down to these two. ive owned an e30 m3 before, ive just been driving around an old beater the last couple years and im really feeling the need to get back into something special again.

I'm planning on keeping the beater, using that as my daily or 50% of the time car. but still want something I wont be afraid to use. ill be driving in snow, short road trips, etc.. thats how I used the m3 and it was great, with a good set of snows it was actually very good in the snow. took 2 feet of snow and a steep hill to finally get stuck. im in CO so i see a lot of snow, i dont buy into the hype that you NEED AWD to touch snow. i actually love driving RWD cars in the snow, but theres definitely something extremely satisfying when you're in capable AWD car that really comes to life in the snow and just destroys everything else on the road, ive owned an audi and driven multiple others, and their AWD system really is amazing.

so not having driven a UR its hard to get a good feel for what its like. it has a lot of the same kind of history and purpose and hype that the e30 m3 does, (made to race, pretty revolutionary, dominated in their day, very focused drivers cars) what i like about the m3 so much is how it really comes to life and gets better and better the more you push it, lean on it, and make it work. the front end with the light engine behind the front axle responds and darts around, its a very easy car to push hard.

now what scares me about the UR is with the engine hanging over the front axle, being a little bigger, little softer, etc.. it might feel like too much of a, for lack of a better word, pig, compared to the m3. i do a lot of driving on twisty mountain roads in the summer, would like to do more track days.
you hear a lot about how the UR is the original that spawned the evo and sti and all that. but the hype seems to be more about its history rather than how it actually drives, the history and all that is great, but if it doesnt drive well, im not interested.

with the price of m3's these days, my budget around 20-25. and for that money you can find a very good UR from what i can tell. and have cash to spare for any mods or anything.

what id be looking for is a 20v swapped, good condition, no rust example. ive seen some pop up frequently enough. and from there i'd do what else i feel is necessary, modification wise. i feel like better brakes, new bushings and a well sorted coilover/suspension setup could really bring the car alive?

my other question is reliability, ive heard good things about the 20v, if i can find a clean well sorted car with good maintenance can i expect it to be pretty reliable? my m3 was actually fantastic reliability wise. had 200,000 miles and not the greatest condition but hardly needed anything to keep it driving well.

sorry for the huge post, im just trying to give you guys a good idea of what i want in a car, any help would be hugely appreciated!