85 UR quattro

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 85 UR quattro

This is my new to me 85 URQ I recently purchased from Curt Egerer. Curt was very kind to store the car at his facility till the weather was more conducive for driving it the 90 minutes to my shop. Great guy, thanks again for a great car. [Edit] SORRY some of the early pictures have been moved so the links are broken but go to the latest pages for current pictures and activity.

So here is what I know about the car:

"One of the best examples of the classic ur quattro available. Very rare Canadian car. Original Tornado Red paint with black leather interior. 1 of only 17 quattros imported to Canada in 1985! Desirable and rare non-sunroof version. 167,000 KM. Clear Michigan title. Retains original metric instruments - I did not convert anything when I imported this car to the USA.

Over the course of the past 3 years, this car has been totally sorted out by Phil at Auto Europe in Birmingham. Phil was an Audi mechanic back when these cars were brand new. I basically gave him permission to check and correct anything that needed attention. The car was great when I bought it, but it's even better now! New hard fuel lines, clutch and slave cylinders, hydraulic bomb, alternator, starter, water pump, timing belt. tires, battery, master cylinder, rear differential bushing, center driveshaft bearing, etc., etc. The car has a modified head and a modified ECU to allow use of the Euro wastegate spring. A joy to drive. This must be what it was like to drive one of these cars brand new. No rattles or squeaks. Strong performer."

Certainly couldn't take issue with any of that and I've known Curt for a few years as a customer at my shop and when I worked at Auto Europe. I was just starting to think about buying a classic when this showed up. I thought I might import an Opel Manta from Europe. That's the car I had when I moved to the US around 20 years ago. I thought it was time to get one back. But then I saw this and it was obvious this was the car I should have. I grew up watching Group B rally in the forests in England and the quattro has always been my favorite Group B monster. Just the noise alone is enough to get my heart racing. Indeed, as I like to tell people, this car is why I now own a motorsports business and race RallyCross, autocross etc. Plus, it would be good that the car stay in Michigan where Curt could keep an eye on it.

I’ve had the car here for a couple of weeks now and driven it a couple of times. My goals for the car are to keep it in its original condition while fixing some of its issues and not-quite-original features. My list is already long but does not reflect the condition of the car but my mental condition of list making and nit-picking. Here are the highlights of what needs attention IMHO:

Restore leather seats
Hot starting issues
Small dent in hood
Should it have Center console?
How much clutch is left?
Oil change
Passenger door lock inoperative
Driver’s window seal loose
Handbrake boot fits poorly
Fuel leak smell
Passenger window sticks at 2” drop
Pass seat adjuster loose
Vent broken center
Passenger door pocket coming away
Rear diff damp-reseal
Right rear wheel creaks
Wipers slow
Gearbox play, mounts?
Rust spots, leading edge of hood, and fender in engine bay
Wrong headlights
Door bars missing
A/C removed engine bay, replace
Trunk carpet screws missing
Engine under tray missing right side
Radio too new and blingy
Upper front strut mounts loose
Rear brake lines rusty
Front ball joints
Lower control arm bushings iffy
Left front cv boot getting brittle
Volts-volt and oil temp meters behave oddly
Door carpet coming away
Non-original steering wheel
Trunk strut inoperative.
Key fob light
Exhaust crooked
Jack missing
Speaker cover loose
Non-original speakers

I might need help with some of these. Prepare yourselves for many questions. Obviously some of these are urgent and necessary, others trivial nit-picking but you can’t beat having a list. I’m sure it will grow rather than shrink even if I do check some off.

I still find it immensely ironic that, considering that I’m so into rally, have a rally related business and love to drive sideways that I bought a car that I can neither drive in the snow or on the loose. I guess I’ll have to limit my fun to wet roundabouts, the three or four that exist in SE Michigan. I may do the odd autocross in it or maybe a track day. Do they have track days for classics? I already took it round Waterford Hills track at the recent track day but only during the parade laps at lunchtime. Twas quite fun. Probably, this is what I’ll do most with the car. Just take it to local motorsport events and shows so people can enjoy seeing it. I am going to slap some BRAID wheels on it and a discreet windshield banner in white “BRAIDUSA.com” though as it has to earn it’s keep somehow.

These are the wheels that are on a boat in the Atlantic right now. What do you think?

I chose them because they are very reminiscent of the works wheels used on the S1, at least in my opinion. I ordered them in the same specs as the originals. I’ll use the Kumho 225/50-15 tires that came on the OE Ronals. Curt also gave me a set of BFG 215/50-15 which was the OE size but I’m not sure what to do with those yet.

Hopefully I’ll remember to update this page with news of the car's development and outings. Meanwhile, if you have any questions or suggestions let me know. I’m all ears, as some of you already know.

Last edited by team illuminata; 09-16-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Robert Gross' old car. Very nice example. Congrats. Robert was contemplating buying it back from Curt. Guess you beat him to it.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ralleyquattro
Nice! Robert Gross' old car. Very nice example. Congrats. Robert was contemplating buying it back from Curt. Guess you beat him to it.
Yes it is, thanks.

I need to get hold of Robert. Is he on this forum?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

My new BRAID wheels come in on Monday along with a couple of hundred others.

I'm not sure what tires to put on them. Currently I have some Kumho AST 225/50-15 on the original Ronal aloys and a set of unmounted BFG in the original size of 215/50-15. The easiest thing to do would be to put the BFG on the new wheels then I'd at least have two working sets available. The "proper" thing to do might be to put the 225 on the BRAIDs and the 215 on the Audi wheels for "originallty's" sake. However, both sets of tires are going to age out before they wear out so one set is just going to be sat there wasting away. Perhaps I should get rid of one set but which. 215/50-15 are quite hard to find now but I like the look of the wider 225.

What to do?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by team illuminata
Yes it is, thanks.

I need to get hold of Robert. Is he on this forum?
Sorry, he's not on any Audi forums, he's a Porche guy.

email me and I'll give you his email address.

Cheers
Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ralleyquattro
Sorry, he's not on any Audi forums, he's a Porche guy.

email me and I'll give you his email address.

Cheers
I tracked him down, thanks.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had the car detailed by Ray's Auto Detail in Pontiac this week. It was already clean by my standards but now I understand what really clean is. After using his clay bar Ray made the paint as smooth as a baby's bum. I've never owned a car I had to keep clean; my other car is a rallycross beater. I don't even own any cleaning supplies or equipment except for a bucket! I have a lot to learn.

IMG_0278 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0279 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0280 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0281 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Last edited by team illuminata; 08-24-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well the wheels finally came in and I immediately slapped some tires on them and bolted them on the car. What do you think?

newbraidsbig by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Then I took it out to the lake for Memorial Day.
photo2 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

photo by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

In case you're curious the wheels are BRAID Serie 6 R 3 piece, 15x8 with 225/50-15 Kumho tires.

Last edited by team illuminata; 08-24-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry chaps, it's been a while since I have had chance to update this thread. I'd like to think that since putting the BRAID wheels on the car our sales have gone through the roof and I have just been too busy fulfilling orders to post. Well, that's only half the case, I've also been kept busy keeping cars on the road. None of my four cars, including this one, have been behaving themselves so far this summer but at least it gives me plenty to write about here. So what's been going on? Well:

The first hiccup of the season became apparant when the car became hard to start. I'd noticed lately I'd had to turn the key a little more "aggresively" sometimes but then it became impossible to get the car to turn over at all. Thankfully it did this at the shop and not 1000 miles from home. It was clear contact was not being made in the ignition switch and all kinds of horrors about getting a new one and taking apart the steering column went through my mind. As it turned out it was surprisingly simple to sort out on both fronts. First off, my local O'rielly's had the switch on the shelf. God knows why but bless their little Irish souls non the less. Now, to put it in. I approached with trepidation but needn't have. AllData give pretty explicit instructions.

Remove the steering wheel, column shround and indicator stalks. Then pry off the spring washer that holds on the spring and you are left with this:
igswitch3 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Then you remove that pinch bolt and the ignition switch housing slides up the column and lands on your bench:
igswitch1 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Just remove that small phillips head screw to relaese the switch and pop in the new one. Needless to say, assembly is the reverse of disassembly but getting the spring wash in place was a little tricky. I used a 19mm impact socket and a hammer to drive it home. You don't need a lot of force, probably because you are supossed to use a new washer but once the steering wheel is back on it can't go anywhere.

Job done. Car's good for the summer but maybe I should just change the oil first. How hard could it be?

So I put the car on lift and look where the oil filter should be and bloody hell, there's two of the buggers! I was so stunned I forgot to take a picture! So off to the store to find a second filter. Apparently it's for the turbo. Why ddin't you guys tell me about this? Well, just before taking off I decide to have a look around under there and WTF is that all over my nice new BRAID wheel?

IMG_0317 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr
CV grease. That's what.
IMG_0318 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Oh man. Ah well. new axle, 20 minutes of a job. How hard could it be. Well, I couldn't find an axle but I did find a CV boot. No, not at O'rielly's this time but my friends at Auto Europe hooked me up with one from Worldpac. Not OE but something appropriately German. They even slapped it on for me once I got the axle out which was a bit of a trial due to the lack of space to maneuver it around.

Undo these at the tranny end
IMG_0321 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Take of the brakes and axle nut
IMG_0320 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

then realize there's not enough room for the axle to slide out of the wheel bearing.
IMG_0323 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Have a cup of tea and then get creative with the jack.
IMG_0324 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Voila. Off to Auto Europe with you.
cv1 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Strip the old boot. Remove the C clip and hit it with a BFH, gently of course.
cv3 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Put on new boot. Run back to shop. Forget to take photo. Installation was the reverse and simple but being in there did inspire me to take on refurbishing the front suspension. So went on a quest for upper strut mounts, anti roll bar bushings, lower ball joints and even some strut inserts.

Drove the car home that night to celebrate. Look, it even made it. But there is a reason it is on the street and not up the driveway.
re by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

More on that later. I need a rest.

Last edited by team illuminata; 08-24-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, to continue the saga, the reason the car was sitting on the street instead of in my driveway was that I couldn't get reverse, nor, for that matter, 1st or 2nd! It was allright when I left the shop but by the time I was nearing home, about 20 minutes, 1st became 3rd and I kept stalling at the lights 'cause it don't like to set off in 3rd. Shift lever was feeling a bit woolie too.

I nursed it back to my shop the next day, got it on the lift and found the shifter bushing, #27 in the picture below, had distintergrated. This must have hapenned gradually over a number of years and I guess, with the elevated temperatures lately, it just crossed the threshold of being able to move the selector shaft enough to find the outermost gears. Once I fix this it should feel like a short shifter compared with the long throw that I thought was normal.

shift linkage 2 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

The bushing is, of course, no longer available but I found out that 034 Motorsport are making them and I also picked up an OE one from a guy on ebay UK along with some other goodies (see below). Now I have a lifetime's supply.

Apparantly, the short rod, #35 often fails and they are NLA too. Mine seems fine thankfully. The ball on the top of #33 can come loose too but again, mine seems good. It was a little tight in there above the tranny and after finding water in my basement last night I said "Sod this" and booked it in at Auto Europe. As much as I like to work on my cars I just don't have time to tackle this fiddly job with all the other stuff crumbling around me right now. Thank god my Jeep's fixed; and the Subaru moves under its own power too now, sort of.

Some stuff I dd take care of myself though:

I managed to get a gas strut for the trunk. Apparantly it needs two to support the weight of the trunk and that huge spolier and if you only have one like I had it will crash down on your bonce while you are deep in conversation with your spare tire. OUCH!. Couldn't find an OE one at a decent price so went with a Stabilus to match the other side. So much nicer than the stick I was using. Much more civilised.

I've been trying to track down a fuel smell for some time now. It was often there but seemed to be worse with the windows open and after taking some corners, particularly left handers. It was worse the more fuel was in the tank too, I think. Initially I suspected the long breather pipe that goes from roughly the middle of the tank to the filler neck. The original one was very soft so I thought it might be sweating if not actually leaking. I replaced it with a bit of basic hose temporarily and thought it made a bit of a difference but later realised that might have been wishful thinking. I may yet put the original hose back on.

ventpipe by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Later I discovered that the gas cap was getting wet with fuel after spirited drives so I replaced the fuel cap gasket with an OE one from the dealer. So far (not very far actually) so good. Fingers crossed. No picture; it's a round piece of rubber with a big hole in the middle. Use your imagination.

When I initially test drove the car the passenger side window stopped working. Well, not completely. It would just go down a couple of inches, make a horrible grinding noise and stop. Fortunately it decided to go back up so I bought the car anyway. So I finally got a chance to get inside the door motivated by the increasing temperatures and lack of air conditioning in the car. Door card came off easily once I located all the screws and clips (didn't braek any either )
doorcardoff by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

I was happy to find that the wire that pulls the window mechanism had come derailed from the bottom pulley and with a bit of effort I managed to get it back on there. It works now but does make some funny noises sometimes. The same noises the driver's side makes so I figured they are factory. Job done!
windowwire by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

While I was in there I took the opportunity to have a look at the door lock mechanism. The button was going up and down when I operated the driver's side lock but the key was doing nothing in the passenger side, not that one ever uses the key in that side. It did cross my mind that perhaps it was a design feature then I realised, why would they have a lock. Anyway, brain back in gear it soon became apparant that the little plastic ear on the back of the lock had become detached from its actuator rod. Two minutes and a skimmed knucle later it was back on and working as Audi intended all along. Look:
latch by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

While messing around in the cabin with the various ***** and switches I found out that my blower fan goes to ELEVEN. Well, it goes to four but that's amazing as the the panel only indicates 3. It works too; fan goes even faster! I can't for the life of me figure out why the switch goes to 4 while the panel only goes to 3. What were they drinking in Ingoldstat in the mid-eighties?
four by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

I put back the undertray that giudes air to the intercooler. It came with the car but not actually attched to it. I had to do a bit of rally-rigging with some zip ties as it's missing a couple of screw holes now.
undertray1 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Part of my ebay UK haul was a pair of new sun visor clips in more or less the original color. A snap to swap out but they totally transform the car. Handles as if on rails. OK, they hardly made any difference, even to the visors, but it feels good to have replaced more broken stuff.
visor1 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr
visor2 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

More UK parts: dash vents, middle and sides. Only my middle one was broken but it's good to have spares right?

Broken vent. All flippity floppoty:
ventbroken by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

New vent. All nice and together. You can see the tabs that hold it in place too....
vent2 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

....so I know where to stick my screw driver.
vent1 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Maybe I should just leave it like this:
vent3 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Nah!
vent5 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Man, that was a lot of venting.

In the category of interesting aside did you know, Wikipedia says "The Illuminati, a Bavarian secret society, was founded in Ingolstadt..." and my business is called Team Illuminata Motorsport. Coincidence? I'm saying nothing. Schtum!

Now, off to Auto Europe with you Stiggy (Hmm. I think I just named my car)

Last edited by team illuminata; 08-24-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 85 UR quattro