TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

ttdude's stupid Friday poll #26: whereto dude? (couple points clarified)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ttdude's stupid Friday poll #26: whereto dude? (couple points clarified)

As I realized would happen eventually, I've run out of stupid TT-related polls. I'm sure I'll think of one now and then, but for the most part I'm moving the poll OT. When I asked how people would feel about that, the response was overwhelmingly favorable, so that's what I'm doing.

To start that, I'm going to have one about me. I mean, I think I'm due. (I gave Rahul his own poll!) Sure, it's always my creation and skewed to what my whacky mind comes up with, but editors sometimes use their space as a personal soapbox...

As some of you know, I left my job. Yes, I actually quit a high paying technology job in a tough market. I was completely miserable and actually getting sick because of it. I really like what I do, I just couldn't do it for them any more. Some (many?) will think I'm crazy regardless - at the moment a job is a job. I understand that view, but what's done is done.

As an unexpectedly sagacious friend pointed out, that was the easy decision, relatively. Now I need to figure out what to do, and having options is somewhat harder than being limited. Initially, it's not too hard. I'll need money, but luckily I have a gajillion things that were slated to be pushed through the EMM (eBay Money Machine) anyway - now I have the time to do it.

But what do I do after that? I don't necessarily need to find a job near where I am (Boston) - I'm very open to moving. I keep getting more ideas too, just making things harder. So, armed with a list of choices, and a helpful (usually cross section of fine folks (that'd be you all), I figured it could be a poll. The difference this time is that you can/should pick multiple answers.

A) Find a job near Boston
B) Give up my apartment, put stuff in storage, live in my ski house for the winter/spring
C) Find a job in another state and move*
D) Find a job in another country and move**
E) Get in the car and drive for a couple months
F) Use the ski house as intended - for weekends
G) Dump the ski house, probably get some money back (rental, not owned, so only talking about $1k)
H) Change professions
I) Other

*States I'm considering = AZ, CA, CT, DC, MA, MD, NC, NH, NM, NV, NY, OR, RI, TX, VA, VT, WA (lobby for your state! - if it isn't listed, let's say I felt I wasn't good enough to live there)

**I'm generally thinking Europe, but I'm open to ideas. What are the car realities for this option?

So, several choices, some of which work together, some of which don't. Pick some, give me some more ideas. Whatever. There are no wrong answers (except whatever Rahul is likely to say

Last week's results: Not surprisingly, most people pay more for rent/mortgage than the TT, but I was happy to see that most people understood that it was actually a viable question, based on the geographic spread of the group, and the corresponding costs of living differences.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:10 AM

Default B!...then C and that would be OREGON!!!!

Once the market starts to turn there will be more jobs around here. You would really like it. I moved here from SF 10 years ago for a one year job.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:13 AM

E: Criss Cross the US with me for the winter!! TT Key West here we come! :-)
Old 11-15-2002, 08:15 AM

We'll be TT Goodwill Ambassadors...Righting wrongs, Helping the downtrodden! ;-)
Old 11-15-2002, 08:18 AM

Default G, then E, then finally C

But I'm curious, why did you include DC and MD on your list of states, but not VA?
Old 11-15-2002, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dump ski house the ski/travel Europe w/profits!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:22 AM
Elder Member

As he so clearly stated . . . he didn't feel he would be worthy of VA. lol
Old 11-15-2002, 08:24 AM

Default H. when it's all said and done, you will need a new job...

if you weren't happy with your tech job as it was, you may want to take a pay cut and do something a bit less harrowing in (roughly) the same field. you obviously have the bank to survive comfortably for a while, but it doesn't seem like you're ready to retire (speculation derived from your post), so you will eventually need another source of income.

even if you relax for a year, going back to the same grind that made you nuts before will probably do the same thing, and no one wants that.

okay... i'm all done with my youthful zeal and idealism. good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

typo (but how could I live someplace with no radar detector?
Old 11-15-2002, 08:28 AM
Elder Member

Default >>> G until you figure out the logistics of H <<<

I'm so there right now too... (except for the Ebay stuff and ski house). H-H-H-H-H-H Do what MAKES YOU HAPPY and makes you want to go to work every day. If you have that choice, GRAB IT WITH BOTH HANDS and don't let go.

I haven't found H yet but I will.

Good luck Steve; this may or may not have been a serious poll but it struck a note. Be happy above all else.

-Nan

Quick Reply: ttdude's stupid Friday poll #26: whereto dude? (couple points clarified)