TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2001 TT Clutch Dies at 5000 Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 TT Clutch Dies at 5000 Miles?

Sorry for the newbie/non-race question but I am baffled by Audi's response.

I think a friend is being shafted by her Audi dealer. Her clutch died quickly on Sunday with no apparent abuse and only 5000 miles on it. Seriously, no launches and she doesn't ride it.

I was driving when it died and other than having the revs too high when pulling out of a parallel park on a slight hill, all seemed fine. When I got on a straight away the revs kept climbing as I maintained speed. I shifted up but it kept climbing so I pulled off and smelled the burnt clutch.

When I started it up again there was no contact left. Just the engine purring with no movement.

The first dealer, Nalley Audi, said they couldn't look at it for two weeks and wouldn't give a loaner since she didn't buy the car there. Jim Ellis Audi, the dealer where she bought the car estimates nearly $1400 and says it probably won't be under warranty. I think they are doing that because she is blond.

She doesn't ride the clutch and I am sure I didn't blow it in 15 min of driving.

Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2001, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

talk to Brad, he had his clutch replaced.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe a failed DV???
Old 10-23-2001, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You missed Johnny Walker last Friday. Servin' Black Label.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Clutch is covered under the warranty - if the dealer doesn't agree to fix it

under warranty - call AoA.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:36 PM

Default If it's a fwd, rather than a quattro, there's been a history of tranny problems. Your friend *is*

being shafted.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default damn, I haven't had a drink since TT-west, feels like I'm on the wagon.

Gotta find a reason to go out this weekend.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:41 PM

Default I would be interested in the outcome. One of those just happens to be.....

the dealership where I purchased mine from and I have not felt "the love" while visiting them for service either. Please post here or send me an email about the results....

Thanks-
Old 10-23-2001, 04:57 PM

Default I experienced something similar...

A couple of weeks ago during the first run of an auto-x I was attending (2nd one ever...so I'm still getting used to the car...particularly remembering to turn ESP off), I revved the engine to 4500 rpms to launch for a couple of seconds. Now, this is the first time I've ever revved that high for a start. I took it easier during the first auto-x I attended and revved to about 3000 with and without ESP off. I slipped off the clutch and felt the car start to move...

But it moved VERY slowly. I noticed the RPMs starting to reach red line, but the car was only moving about 15 mph after about 3 seconds of elapsed time. I quickly shifted to 2nd to see if that would help anything. Still VERY slow acceleration...going about 25 after about another 3 seconds and the red line was getting closer again!

Anyway, I let off the gas slightly since I was really growing concerned about the engine/clutch/whatever...after it dropped back to about 4000 rpms, WHAM! The boost kicks in and the car starts moving FAST the way I had hoped to launch.

Well, after the run, I smelled the great odor of fried clutch or whatever had burned. I realized ESP had been on and turned it off and the car and clutch ran fine for the next 3 runs. It's still been driving fine (like before the incident) to this day.

I still don't know what happened. The ESP light didn't come on (my wheels weren't angled at the launch or anything). All I know is the power went somewhere, and I fear it was the clutch that took the abuse. I've probably launched the car at 3000 rpms or so maybe 10 times before that incident (at a previous auto-x and practice event). I drove my previous cars much harder than I've driven this car and hadn't experienced something like this before even on 8 year old cars with 90000 miles.

Could it have been the ESP somehow (not 100% sure how ESP works on launches if it's supposed to do anything at all)? Can the TT clutch actually handle hard launches? Driver error?
Old 10-23-2001, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You were just grinding the clutch....worse than launching it hard...>>

it was not completely engaged or disengaged...so the car was moving very slowly b/c only a small amount of power was getting from the motor/trans to the wheels.

Quick Reply: 2001 TT Clutch Dies at 5000 Miles?