TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I car is running too rich seeing that my 032 block numbers where -6.0%

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I car is running too rich seeing that my 032 block numbers where -6.0%

and -7.5%. I am personally clueless on how to fix it. I read in one of the posts that it could be something to do with GIAC or the O2 sensor. If anyone has some expirence in this matter and can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default within +/- 10% is prob'ly Ok...>

I think the Bentley recommends closer specs, but on this board, several have indicated anything betwen +/- 10% is Ok.

If the Additive trim (1st field, which measures trim at idle) is out of spec, it implicates a vaccuum leak.

If the Multiplicative trim (2nd field, which measures trim at higher rpm) is out of spec, that may indicated a faulty MAF.

To check MAF, do a 2nd gear full-throttle run up to redline and check measuring block 002. Value #4 (in Group 002) usually shows air mass in grams/sec. Peak airflow should be roughly 0.80 times horsepower (for example, a 180hp TT should produce about 144 g/s; do the math if you have a 225hp). If the peak air flow is significantly less than this, the MAF may be faulty.

~john

<i>disclosure: I lifted this info from either Steve or the Vag-com website, but I can't remember where. It's on my Palm T2 now, so it's mine.</i>
Old 01-26-2007, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ok just vagged my car for time ever. block 032: idle -3.0% part throttle 16.4%

so is it safe to say i need a new MAF as i suspected when i went into limp last week.
i'll do that run later on to verify.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you're probably right, but check this from Ross-Tech's Wiki... >

URL where I got this stuff: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info

Fuel Trim Info
From Ross-Tech Wiki

<b>Understanding Fuel Trim</b>

Some of the most common Fault Codes (DTC's) pertain to fuel trim (rich mixture, lean mixture, etc.) Here is an explanation of fuel trim and what it does for us. The ECU controls Air/Fuel mixture in order to maintain power, efficiency, and emissions. A/F is expressed as either a ratio (14.7:1 for example) or as a Lambda value. With iso-octane ("ideal" gasoline), Lambda of 1.0 is equal to 14.7:1 A/F. This is known as "Stoichiometric", a condition where there is a perfect balance between oxygen molecules and the various hydrogen and carbon based molecules in petroleum. With the oxygenated gasoline that most of us use, actual A/F ratio of 15:1 is closer to stoichiometric.If Lambda is greater than 1.0, then there is a surplus of air and the engine is running lean. If Lambda is less than 1.0, then there is a surplus of fuel and the engine is running rich. It should be noted that the ratios are mass-based, not volume-based.

So, why don't we always run at 1.0 all the time? Well, we do MOST of the time. At cruise and idle, mixture is held tightly to 1.0 to keep the catalytic convertor at optimal efficiency, so the emissions are minimized. However, when we need acceleration, the mixture gets richer. Why? Maximum power is made between 0.85 to 0.95 Lambda (12.5 to 14.0 A/F with iso-octane). So, under acceleration, mixtures get richer. Sometimes you want to get even richer under acceleration to keep detonation (pre-ignition of the mixture from excess cylinder temperatures) away. The 1.8T has a relatively high compression ratio for a turbocharged engine, which especially under lots of boost, is very succeptible to detonation).

So, now that we know that the ECU wants to be able to control the A/F ratio. It has a prescribed set of values (maps) for a given RPM, Load, etc. So, the ECU tells the injectors to pulse for exactly XX.X milliseconds and that SHOULD get us the proper A/F ratio that we want. Well, if you tell an employee to go do something, you want to make sure they actually did it, right? The ECU has some snitches (the front O2 sensor and the MAF, for the most part) that will report back whether or not the desired mixture has been attained. The rear O2 sensor is used mostly to monitor the condition of the catalytic convertor, although in some applications it also contributes to trim information.

Based on feedback from the snitches, the ECU learns to apply a correction factor to its commands to the fuel injectors. If you know that your employees take longer than the standard allotted time to do a specified job, you will need to adjust for that in your planning (injectors are in a union, so it is tough to fire them ). The learned values go between the maps in the ECU's Flash ROM (the "chip") and the signal to the fuel injectors. These learned compensations are known as "trim". So, when you see "trim", it means "compensation".

"Add" means additive trim, which is addressing an imbalance at idle. When the ECU is using additive trim, it is telling the injectors to stay open a fixed amount longer or shorter. The malfunction (e.g. vacuum leak) becomes less significant as RPM increase. For additive adaptation values, the injection timing is changed by a fixed amount. This value is not dependent on the basic injection timing.

"Mult" mean multiplicative trim, which is addressing an imbalance at all engine speeds. The malfunction (e.g. clogged injector) becomes more severe at increased RPM. For multiplicative adaptation values, there is a percentage change in injection timing. This change is dependent on the basic injection timing.

You can check your current state of trim by using VAG-COM or equivalent to look in Group 032 in your engine measuring blocks. The first two fields will have percentages. The first field tells the fuel trim at idle (Additive). The second field tells the fuel trim at elevated engine speeds (Multiplicative). Negative values indicate that the engine is running too rich and oxygen sensor control is therefore making it more lean by reducing the amount of time that the injectors are open. Positive values indicate that the engine is running too lean and oxygen sensor control is therefore making it richer by increasing the amount of time that the injectors are open.

It is totally normal for both the first and second fields to be something other than zero. In fact, zeros IN BOTH FIELDS indicates that either you just cleared codes (which will reset fuel trim values) or something isn't working properly. If values get too far away from zero, it will cause a DTC (fault code) and can set off the MIL (commonly referred to as the Check Engine Light, or CEL). Specifications for normal operation are usually somewhere near +/- 10%.

In general, an out-of-spec value in the first field (Additive) indicates a vacuum leak since it is mostly present at idle, when vacuum is highest. An out-of-spec value in the second field (Multiplicative) indicates a fault at higher RPM, and may point to a faulty MAF.

Here's a good sanity check for the status of your MAF. Do a full-throttle run all the way to redline in a single gear (second works fine). Group 002 usually shows air mass in g/s. Your peak airflow should be roughly 0.80 times your horsepower. So, if you have a stock 150 hp 1.8T, expect around 120 g/s. If you see significantly less than that, you MAF may be on the way out. This still works if you are chipped, but "race" programs may make more power through timing, rather than airflow. Therefore, take all readings with a grain of salt.

Andy 10:45, 26 January 2006 (Eastern Standard Time)

VAG-COM-FAQ-1.1
Retrieved from "http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info"
Views
Old 01-28-2007, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, Nice read