TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Opinions guys on "Fixed" versus "Non-Fixed" Rear Spoiler ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Opinions guys on "Fixed" versus "Non-Fixed" Rear Spoiler ???

Guys,

The more I look at the Fixed versus the Non-Fixed rear spoiler I'm liking the Non-Fixed better.

Seems to me the TT RS looks higher tech with out the Fixed Rear Spoiler.

Seems to me the NON-Fixed is totally functional when it is actually needed at speed.

The Fixed Spoiler to me (Sorry Guys) seems to remind me of Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers etc that want to GRAB peoples attention.
(Like, I'm in a Race-Car)

So, come on fellows jump on here and say what you really think once you give it some thought ???

Fixed,

Non-Fixed,

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-27-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 597 Likes on 429 Posts

I prefer the lines with the fixed spoiler.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Non-fixed for me.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Fixed. I was posting trying to figure out if you could set the movable spoiler to stay open when someone pointed out it would be easier to just stay with the fixed spoiler. (Which I did on my RS)

You'll also see most photos people take with the mk3 have the spoiler extended. Take that as you will.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a fan of this car without the fixed rear spoiler, although this of course is very subjective. I think it looks a bit "boy-racer" with the spoiler but it does add some aero benefits I suppose if you are really moving. I just think it looks a bit "tacked" on and doesn't add to the styling to my eye. I'm also not a fan of deploying the non-fixed spoiler unless you are washing/drying the car. I think it looks goofy when people extend it manually and not cool at all, but again very subjective. Prior car was a Porsche 991, and many folks in that community extend the spoilers manually and they look goofy as hell to me, big debates about that in the Porsche forums.

At the end of the day though, do what makes you happy.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Non-fixed for my tastes.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:43 PM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I prefer the lines with the fixed spoiler.
Originally Posted by Huey52
Non-fixed for me.
Originally Posted by ormandj
Fixed. I was posting trying to figure out if you could set the movable spoiler to stay open when someone pointed out it would be easier to just stay with the fixed spoiler. (Which I did on my RS)

You'll also see most photos people take with the mk3 have the spoiler extended. Take that as you will.
Originally Posted by Rapture
I'm a fan of this car without the fixed rear spoiler, although this of course is very subjective. I think it looks a bit "boy-racer" with the spoiler but it does add some aero benefits I suppose if you are really moving. I just think it looks a bit "tacked" on and doesn't add to the styling to my eye. I'm also not a fan of deploying the non-fixed spoiler unless you are washing/drying the car. I think it looks goofy when people extend it manually and not cool at all, but again very subjective. Prior car was a Porsche 991, and many folks in that community extend the spoilers manually and they look goofy as hell to me, big debates about that in the Porsche forums.

Thanks guys for your candid thoughts and comments.

I do have to say though even if you could deploy/extend the spoiler that would look silly at low speeds.
And anyone that new it was suppose to be an automatic deployment would be laughing I think.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Agree 1000%

Originally Posted by Rapture

Been doing "what if's" on the Audi build and came to the same conclusion. Fixed definitely has the ricer look to me. However, I might change my mind if Audi furnished some actual aero data. The fixed spoiler looks larger in surface area so it could develop more downforce. I say "could" because one never knows about airflow, particularly on the *** end where it is definitely not laminar flow. So I'd like to see downforce as a function of speed for fixed versus retractable and also drag vs speed. I would assume that the fixed has considerable drag at low speeds where added downforce is not needed. Finally, I have to assume that the retractable generates sufficient downforce for safe driving, otherwise Audi could be liable.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Been doing "what if's" on the Audi build and came to the same conclusion. Fixed definitely has the ricer look to me. However, I might change my mind if Audi furnished some actual aero data. The fixed spoiler looks larger in surface area so it could develop more downforce. I say "could" because one never knows about airflow, particularly on the *** end where it is definitely not laminar flow. So I'd like to see downforce as a function of speed for fixed versus retractable and also drag vs speed. I would assume that the fixed has considerable drag at low speeds where added downforce is not needed. Finally, I have to assume that the retractable generates sufficient downforce for safe driving, otherwise Audi could be liable.
I read somewhere in the past that the fixed rear wing does increase downforce by a small percentage at speed versus the automated one however I can't remember which article it was in. It wasn't a tremendous amount but something. I don't think I will notice it though . I think we'd have to run that new Audi Sport rear wing to really feel the difference. Now that's a spoiler.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

For the mk2, I prefer the non-fixed and ordered it as such. However, I don't think the mk3 is as organic, and the pop-up spoiler looks out-of-place on it, so I ordered my new mk3 tt rs with the fixed spoiler.