TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Need advise on buying a TT or TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advise on buying a TT or TTS?

I am new to the TT world. I am in my late 60s and this is most likely my last car purchase. This is my issue. I can afford to buy a newer TT (2017) or a little older TTS. If I bought the TT, I would get the APR ECU and the ARP TCU upgrades. If I bought the older TTS it will be left stock. What is the way to go. What are the pros and cons of each. Thanks for the advise, much appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-27-2021, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Yikes last car purchase in late 60's? That's depressing lol. Get the TTS but make sure it's Mk3. You're never going to mod a TT into a TTS. Pros: Actual TTS with all the styling, minor details, and no tuning BS that'll show up over time. Cons: Money.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by macaddict111
Get the TTS but make sure it's Mk3. You're never going to mod a TT into a TTS. Pros: Actual TTS with all the styling, minor details, and no tuning BS that'll show up over time. Cons: Money.
I agree, the TTS is a better performer in many ways, if you can afford a MK3 TTS, its the way to go.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Close to completing the 69th year myself. I specifically bought my TTS over a TT so I wouldn't be [again] tempted to mod/tune. Of course I still am on occasion but have resisted thus far.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

IMHO,
The TTS represents the sweet spot. Better performance than the TT, but not as expensive as the TTRS.
If I were autocrossing, I'd buy the TTRS, but owning the TTS gives me 90% of the TTRS.
bob
The following 3 users liked this post by Gbob:
95wildtt (01-27-2021), Huey52 (01-27-2021), macaddict111 (01-28-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to agree with the rest. This is my 2nd TTS and it clearly has more power and refinements than a TT. I personally would not go back to a TT unless it was my 2nd car. Don’t give up hope, you still might have another car or two in you. Good luck with purchase.
The following users liked this post:
SteveQ2 (02-03-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

The TT was made for performance ... go with TTS ... I own a TT RS ... I wouldn't have picked anything lower than that ... once you get used to this power .... can't go back!
Old 01-27-2021, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhynes
I have to agree with the rest. This is my 2nd TTS and it clearly has more power and refinements than a TT. I personally would not go back to a TT unless it was my 2nd car. Don’t give up hope, you still might have another car or two in you. Good luck with purchase.

MK3 TT or MK2 TTS?
Old 01-27-2021, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought my 2013 MK2 almost 2 years ago with 50k miles on it. I now have 86k and I’m looking to do a 1 or 1+ performance upgrade. If I were looking now, I’d focus on a MK3. I would recommend a MK3 for you if this is your last. It took me a while to find the right TTS too, several months in fact. Even though there weren’t that many to look at, I was fussy about the cars appearance. Wait till I get my summer wheels back on, I’m having them treated. Half the fun is the hunt and then your reward.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

I love my Mk 3 2017 TT roadster which I bought used about a year ago after searching for a year. It is a significant improvement over my Mk 2 2011 TT roadster in all respects. When I was shopping for my Mk 3 roadster, I noticed that a used Mk 3 TTS was about the same price as the TT roadster. In the past i had taken test drives in the Mk 2 TTRS and the experience was so fantastic that it is the only coupe I have ever considered buying in the past 30 years. When The Mk 2 TTRS was released, it received rave reviews from all the auto press that it was the best bang for the buck sports car available. Unmodified on the track it was as fast as a V8 R8 and Porsches costing $100K. The specs of the Mk 3 TTS approached that of the Mk 2 TTRS so I took the Mk 3 TTS for a test drive hoping to replicate the experience. For me, around town in normal driving there was not enough of a performance increase in the TTS to give up my roadster. I'm sure it would be a different story on a track. Part of my perception problem is likely the fact that the Mk 2 TTRS has a manual tranny compared to the automatic for the Mk 3 TTS.
As others have stated, a Stage 1 ECU tune and quattro tune will not be the equivalent of a Mk 3 TTS no matter what the tuner manufacturers might claim. I don't know where the OP is coming from as a prior vehicle but one needs to ask the question on what performance is fast enough. The base TT is a fun drive and a tuned one would be even better. Relative to later problems from a tune, a 2017 will soon be out of warranty if it is not already. If the car has a warranty, I would wait the few months before installing tunes. Lots of TTs have been tuned in the past 20 years and significant problems are rare. I'm going to get the APR Stage 1 low torque tune soon. Why the low torque version since the high torque version is the same price? Because the low torque spec is also the design limit for the tranny as advertised by Audi.
If the OP is considering a Mk 2 TTS as his "little older TTS", be advised that the 2014MY and 2015MY Mk 2 TTS were actually manufactured in CY2013. So age-related parts are older than one would normally expect. This is important for the Mk 2 TTS because one of the chronic issues with the Mk 2 is the mag ride suspension which was standard on the TTS. Many Mk 2 mag ride shocks begin to leak at about 7 years irrespective of mileage. Replacing them costs about $750 each at an indy shop and double that at a dealer. Also, the Mk 2 TTS has a timing belt that will need service compared to a chain on the base Mk 3 TT. For me, the only Mk 2 I would consider buying in place of any Mk 3 model is the TTRS although the TTRS has the same mag ride issue.

Quick Reply: Need advise on buying a TT or TTS?