TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Moving from TTS to TT RS - questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Moving from TTS to TT RS - questions

I'm in the process of returning my 2018 TTS for a 2021 TT RS. I'd like to keep the wheels and tires I have for winters. A couple of questions come to mind.

1) Will they fit? Tirerack was great when I wanted to purchase these, but when asked if they would fit on the new TT RS, all I ever received was, 'Try it'.
2) TPMS - do I have to add sensor units to each tire? What is the cost of these? Can they be purchased and matched only at the dealer, or can I do this myself?

Old 01-05-2021, 11:55 AM
TT fan

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

1) TTS and TT-RS share the same wheel hub (5x112), wheel width and off-set, assuming the wheel size is the same (18, 19, 20....)
2) yes, you will need 4x1 TPMS sensor, not that expensive (here in europe an OEM brand new set is around 80 euro on ebay), and yes, you can fit by yourself (assuming you have mechanical basic skills)

Last edited by kevin#34; 01-05-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Big issue will be clearing the front calipers. If you bought the wheels from Tire Rack, someone there can tell you if they’ll fit the RS. I got tpms sensors from the Tire Rack, but they installed them on the wheel/tire package prior to shipping.
I’m in Buffalo and look forward to seeing you on the thruway some time.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought TTRS doesnt use TPMS but use the ABS sensor instead.

nombre6: waving here from soon to be a Buffalo TT owner
Old 01-06-2021, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nombre6
Big issue will be clearing the front calipers. If you bought the wheels from Tire Rack, someone there can tell you if they’ll fit the RS. I got tpms sensors from the Tire Rack, but they installed them on the wheel/tire package prior to shipping.
I’m in Buffalo and look forward to seeing you on the thruway some time.
I thought the Tire Rack guys would have been more helpful, but... I just don't want to put tpms in each of these only to find out they won't fit on the RS. I can try with them again, maybe I just had a bad representative,

Go Bills!
Old 01-06-2021, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

If the TTRS has the individual tire pressure readout option then it requires individual in-tire TPMS sensors. Otherwise it's MMI calculated via ABS like the TTS & TT with no in-tire sensors needed.

Originally Posted by freezingcat

Old 01-06-2021, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul King
I thought the Tire Rack guys would have been more helpful, but... I just don't want to put tpms in each of these only to find out they won't fit on the RS. I can try with them again, maybe I just had a bad representative,

Go Bills!
You might try going to the Tire Rack web site and use the 21 RS as you vehicle to see if your wheel comes up as possible.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McTTRS
You might try going to the Tire Rack web site and use the 21 RS as you vehicle to see if your wheel comes up as possible.
Unfortunately, the 2021 car isn't listed. Plugging in my wheels against the 2020 RS says it doesn't fit, but it isn't clear why. 18x8 with a 35mm offset work with other wheels on the RS. Tire Rack is again unsure since they don't have info on the 2021s and while the chat agent thought they would fit, the website didn't like it.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul King
Unfortunately, the 2021 car isn't listed. Plugging in my wheels against the 2020 RS says it doesn't fit, but it isn't clear why. 18x8 with a 35mm offset work with other wheels on the RS. Tire Rack is again unsure since they don't have info on the 2021s and while the chat agent thought they would fit, the website didn't like it.
Paul -

I would tell you that I have had an 18, 18 and 20 RS models and have a 21 on order which worked fine with my Tire Rack wheels. My working assumption is what fits or does no fit a 20 will do the same for a 21.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:47 AM
TT fan

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

unlike TT and TTS, TT-RS has active TPMS (pressure + temperature), so it has sensors on each wheels

Originally Posted by freezingcat

Quick Reply: Moving from TTS to TT RS - questions