TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present
View Poll Results: I will buy the Mk3 TT or TTS with:
Manual
37.93%
S-tronic
62.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Mk3: Manual Vs. S-tronic - Voice your opinion!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk3: Manual Vs. S-tronic - Voice your opinion!!!

Ok... So the release of the Mk3 has happened and now we want the details. We know that Europe will be offered the TT and TTS in both Manual and S-tronic transmissions.

My question for you is if you plan on buying the Mk3 TT or TTS and Audi only offer it in S-tronic as they did for the Mk2, would you still buy one?

I'm hearing rumors that No manuals will be offered here stateside for ANY TT... that includes all models (TT, TTS, TTRS the rumored TT GT3 and even the Allroad versions).

Audi representatives do visit these boards and I'm frustrated with this news and I want people to voice their opinions on this matter.

I want the Mk3, but only if it comes with a Manual!!!

Shout out now!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

https://www.facebook.com/ManualTT4USA
Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oops… Use this address if you are having issues:
www.facebook.com/ManualTT4USA
Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual is just too slow, compared to the new double-clutch S-tronic technology. There is just no excitement to the 'manual' system now that a faster tranny is available. Sorry, but I'm of the opposite opinion. I think Audi is right to just obliterate all manual tranny - it's ancient and archaic.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ayap
Manual is just too slow, compared to the new double-clutch S-tronic technology. There is just no excitement to the 'manual' system now that a faster tranny is available. Sorry, but I'm of the opposite opinion. I think Audi is right to just obliterate all manual tranny - it's ancient and archaic.
I strongly disagree… S-tronic is dull and boring. I have owned several hoping that I would learn to enjoy them. Each time I go back to a manual. For me and many others, there is enjoyment in shifting your own gears with a clutch pedal. BMW knows this and still offers a manual. If Audi eliminates the manual, they are alienating a whole customer base that will look elsewhere.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ayap

HERETIC!!! Look I get it, S-Tronic is more advanced faster and usually more efficient. All of that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the magic of a manual transmission!!! This is a sports car, and ANY REAL sports car enthusiasts relishes the slick feel of a beautifully engineered manual transmission. How often do you ever read a SPORTS car review where a paid expert calls for the demise of a manual transmission??? They almost always recommend to GET THE MANUAL! Audi offers their 6 speed in a few of their cars still and its a magnificent one. Of all the sports cars Audi offers aside from the R8, none of them are more deserving to be bestowed with a manual than the TT...

Differences in a 0-60 in the .3 of a second and a couple of MPG do not justify the abandonment of manual tranny's. Some day automated driving cars will be the way of the future, they will be more efficient, safer, faster, and on and on. Those championing the demise of the manual are the same that will champion the demise of the driver.

AUDI!!! IF you truly consider yourselves an auto maker for the driving enthusiast, you will not abandon 6 speed option in the US! Doing so only supports the bottom line for BMW, and will almost ensure I will be getting a 235i.

I think the driving purists should rally a twitter campaign against Audi demanding as much!! MANUAL, MANUAL, MANUAL!!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

For me to buy has to have S-tronic.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BoneyKing
HERETIC!!! Look I get it, S-Tronic is more advanced faster and usually more efficient. All of that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the magic of a manual transmission!!! This is a sports car, and ANY REAL sports car enthusiasts relishes the slick feel of a beautifully engineered manual transmission. How often do you ever read a SPORTS car review where a paid expert calls for the demise of a manual transmission??? They almost always recommend to GET THE MANUAL! Audi offers their 6 speed in a few of their cars still and its a magnificent one. Of all the sports cars Audi offers aside from the R8, none of them are more deserving to be bestowed with a manual than the TT...

Differences in a 0-60 in the .3 of a second and a couple of MPG do not justify the abandonment of manual tranny's. Some day automated driving cars will be the way of the future, they will be more efficient, safer, faster, and on and on. Those championing the demise of the manual are the same that will champion the demise of the driver.

AUDI!!! IF you truly consider yourselves an auto maker for the driving enthusiast, you will not abandon 6 speed option in the US! Doing so only supports the bottom line for BMW, and will almost ensure I will be getting a 235i.

I think the driving purists should rally a twitter campaign against Audi demanding as much!! MANUAL, MANUAL, MANUAL!!!!
Couldn't agree more. I currently own a 981S with a MT, but my intent was to order PDK. Fortunately for me fate intervened. A couple of months before I ordered my car, I had my 997S serviced and I was given a 997 with PDK as a loaner. It's about a 45 minute drive from my house to the Porsche dealership. For the first 15 minutes of my drive I thought that PDK was fabulous, for the next 15 minutes it was OK, but the last 15 minutes was downright boring. For the last 15 minutes I stopped using the paddles and just put it into automatic mode.

I won't make any judgements about those who prefer automatted manuals, but for me they are boring. Also I agree that if speed is of paramount importance, then driverless cars should also be preferred because there's no question that computers will be able to out drive virtually every driver.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In a fun sports car the driver should be in control of the car, the car should not be in control of the driver.

I vote for MT!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BoneyKing
Differences in a 0-60 in the .3 of a second and a couple of MPG do not justify the abandonment of manual tranny's.
Go after the government (not Audi) for the mandated fuel economy standards. Every manufacturer is doing whatever they can to increase the mileage on their automobiles and the manual transmission is a victim of these increasingly stringent standards. As an aside, as much as I enjoy a manual, this sounds a lot like the people who say they will buy an S4 avant or RS4 avant if Audi would just bring it over. Fewer people are purchasing manuals even when they are available and very few bought the S4 avant when it was here ( I had an S6 avant and two S4 avants and they were as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mk3: Manual Vs. S-tronic - Voice your opinion!!!