TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

It's been a good 20 years....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just can't do it. I live in So Cal in Carmel Valley. You can see a Tesla everywhere you go. I have nothing against the electric technology. Personally, I am looking at the VW I-Buz as a second car in 2022. But, for a sports car I cannot give up the purr of the engine. Enjoy the car, I will stick with my TT RS.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I saw a very similar Tesla in the wild recently and I must say it looks much better in person than in pictures. The driver wasn't even trying and I could still tell that the acceleration was instantaneous.

I'm not quite ready to give up my TT and its internal combustion thing, but I know in my heart you're right i3adSaab
Old 12-01-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
I saw a very similar Tesla in the wild recently and I must say it looks much better in person than in pictures. The driver wasn't even trying and I could still tell that the acceleration was instantaneous.

I'm not quite ready to give up my TT and its internal combustion thing, but I know in my heart you're right i3adSaab
It wasn't an easy decision, in fact I was minutes from ordering my next TT in September if the new stupid sales guy at the local Audi dealership had answered my emails (my old sales guy I've used for years got promoted). He didn't answer for a freaking week, how difficult is it to answer an email?? I said screw him and left for 2 week vacation. Had time to think about things, and do more research during this time, and basically said hell with it, I could die tomorrow.....time to move ahead.

Funny thing happened the other night.....this Subaru WRX pulls up next to me at a light, revving his engine and acting like he was going to peel out.....couldn't help myself, pressed that pedal and left the guy in the dust in an instant. My wife was yelling at me of course......but it left a smile on my face!! I will say, I thought I would miss the growl of the engine, now I'm so used to the new experience I can't imagine wanting to hear that growl anymore. I turned 60 in August.....an old dog got taught a new trick!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Many younger peeps think we older folk don't know technology, but we lived the advancement evolution and so are actually better versed in many ways and with much more solid foundations ... (e.g. I worked with BBN on a prototype Packet Switch before Al Gore could spell Internet) ... and are therefore quite capable of new tricks.

Yep, there's nothing like having 100% of your available torque while sitting still (minor electric motor "locked rotor" to overcome).

Originally Posted by i3adSaab
It wasn't an easy decision, in fact I was minutes from ordering my next TT in September if the new stupid sales guy at the local Audi dealership had answered my emails (my old sales guy I've used for years got promoted). He didn't answer for a freaking week, how difficult is it to answer an email?? I said screw him and left for 2 week vacation. Had time to think about things, and do more research during this time, and basically said hell with it, I could die tomorrow.....time to move ahead.

Funny thing happened the other night.....this Subaru WRX pulls up next to me at a light, revving his engine and acting like he was going to peel out.....couldn't help myself, pressed that pedal and left the guy in the dust in an instant. My wife was yelling at me of course......but it left a smile on my face!! I will say, I thought I would miss the growl of the engine, now I'm so used to the new experience I can't imagine wanting to hear that growl anymore. I turned 60 in August.....an old dog got taught a new trick!
Old 12-01-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

There is more to a car than its power delivery. While I like a lot of the electric technology out there, I'm not a fan of most of the packages into which it's currently packaged. For example, my wife and I went shopping for a new sedan for her. We drove the models S and X, as they both performed admirably. However, neither has good seating for adult passengers (I actually painfully hit my head on the ceiling of the model S in the back seat when we drove over a bump turning out of the dealer parking lot. In the end, we bought a Lexus ES 350 because it had the right mix of power, car length, and passenger comfort.

Once those kinds of issues are resolved and I don't have to compromise on ergonomics to own an electric, then I'll be in the market for one.

Last edited by Nebuul; 12-01-2018 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-06-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven a Model S and would agree that it's a completely different driving experience. I liken it to using a remote control car...you push the lever forward and the car takes off, you pull the lever back, the car slows down. It's really different, and really cool. However, there isn't a Tesla model that currently suits my taste, range to budget ratio, etc. However, I am seriously considering the not yet released Volvo S60 (Plug in Hybrid) Polestar Engineered for my next ride. It has a bit of both worlds and the styling is stunning.

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 12-13-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by porttac

This is really nice looking.... Good "blank slate" to start mod's for more fun on the daily drive!