TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Does the front plate on 18-20 TTRS leave permanent holes when removed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Does the front plate on 18-20 TTRS leave permanent holes when removed?

Looking to buy, but can’t tell.

I will avoid front plate cars if so, just didn’t know if that’s a replacement piece or drilled holes keeping the holder on.

thx
Aaron
Old 11-14-2020, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

There's a bracket for the front plate which may be readily removed, attached with screws and top clip (remove bracket screws and push up-out to pop it off the front fascia).

The bracket screw sockets are there but fairly small diameter and somewhat unnoticeable at a distance given they're recessed and other more visually prominent trim.

There are caps available. Note that all vehicles have same as Audi doesn't build specifically for front plate-less states.

Last edited by Huey52; 11-14-2020 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

When you remove the bracket the will be four ferrules visible. But there are dedicated parts meant to hide them (it's 4 different part numbers, as a different shape is needed for each spot). Note I've not purchased these myself, as I sometimes need to reinstall my front plate...

8S08074499B9
Center grille cap. Left.TT RS. lower.

8S08074509B9
Center grille cap. Right.TT RS. lower.

8S08071559B9
Center grille cap. Left.TT RS. upper.

8S08071569B9
Center grille cap. Right.TT RS. upper.
The following users liked this post:
Huey52 (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Huey52 (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys, that's so awesome!

One of my older S4's (2015 I think, the plate bracket we drilled).

This makes my search for a slightly used car so much better!
Old 11-14-2020, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
There are caps available.
Huey52, I see that you installed the caps.
My question is, how easy are they to remove once they are installed? I sometimes need to install the front plate.

You see, I live in NY, which is a front-plate-required state, but my plate and bracket usually live in the compartment next to the battery. So far (in 18 months of ownership) I've never been ticketed for the front plate being missing - because I always hook it back in place when I park at the one place where I know they patrol for this strictly (the municipal parking near the county courthouse in White Plains).
Old 11-14-2020, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

@SpideyTT!!!
I live on Long Island, an had too many encounters with local police, that I no longer try to drive without the front plate. Perhaps Westchester is more lenient, but beware driving in Upstate on the NY Thruway, those local cops love to give a ticket to any non-townie, as they know the chances of you fighting it are practically nil.
B
Old 11-14-2020, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gbob
I live on Long Island, an had too many encounters with local police, that I no longer try to drive without the front plate. Perhaps Westchester is more lenient, but beware driving in Upstate on the NY Thruway, those local cops love to give a ticket to any non-townie, as they know the chances of you fighting it are practically nil.
I've driven the full length of the thruway a few times and made MANY trips to NYC and back with no problem. The only place that does seem to be a problem is certain municipal parking lots. In White Plains, my wife's inspection was overdue by just one day and she got ticketed (that parking structure is notorious for this).
Old 11-15-2020, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry, haven't done it myself, was just aware of the caps. The TTRS honeycomb ones do look like they would be difficult to remove.

Originally Posted by SpideyTT!!!
My question is, how easy are they to remove once they are installed? I sometimes need to install the front plate.

You see, I live in NY, which is a front-plate-required state, but my plate and bracket usually live in the compartment next to the battery. So far (in 18 months of ownership) I've never been ticketed for the front plate being missing - because I always hook it back in place when I park at the one place where I know they patrol for this strictly (the municipal parking near the county courthouse in White Plains).

Last edited by Huey52; 11-15-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SpideyTT!!!
Bumper needs to be removed and you have to unclip them from behind. You may be able to get your hand behind the grille via the top or from removing the splash guard under the bumper, but it will be tough.

Quick Reply: Does the front plate on 18-20 TTRS leave permanent holes when removed?