TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Differences in 17, 18, 19, 20 model year?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in 17, 18, 19, 20 model year?

I just sold my C7 corvette grandsport. I don’t need another car as we have 2 others. But I want another. I think I want a TT-S but I’ve never driven one. My last VAG vehicles was an MKIV GTI.

I haven’t a clue what I want. I think I want a TT-S but need to drive it first. I haven’t been able to find a ton of information on the TTS between the different model years. I may lease a brand new one, but I have no idea what lease rates look like.

Sorry for my rambling. My question is what’s the difference between an ‘18, 19, 20, and ‘21 model years? I’m thinking if I buy, I’ll get a CPO one. Or one that is only a year old with low miles (if not CPO). I’m only interested in the TT-S. The biggest thing keeping me away from Audi is that the closest dealer is a 2 hour trip away (Tulsa, OK).

Old 01-31-2021, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

What, no love for USA model year 2016 TTS? But then I'm a bit biased. No CarPlay our inaugural year, but it may now be dealer added for ~$500.

There really haven't been many/any significant changes to the Mk3 over these 6 years now. Audi typically saves that for the next TT "mark", although it's ever more doubtful there will be another. In fact at one point not so long ago a 2021 wasn't anticipated.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Huey52
What, no love for USA model year 2016 TTS? But then I'm a bit biased. No CarPlay our inaugural year, but it may now be dealer added for ~$500.

There really haven't been many/any significant changes to the Mk3 over these 6 years now. Audi typically saves that for the next TT "mark", although it's ever more doubtful there will be another. In fact at one point not so long ago a 2021 wasn't anticipated.
LOL. Nothing against 2016 models. I want something with a Warranty on it still. I can’t really tell much difference in looks between the different years. They look just about the same to me. I don’t care much about Apple Play though. I have it on my other cars. I used it on long trips but I don’t have many of those. I just use XM radio most of the time.

I want to drive one. I’ve found several examples across the country that I like. They aren’t easy to find. I’d buy any color except Black. I love nano gray. I really love the Turbo blue too. But I don’t necessarily want another blue car. My ‘vette was blue. Our Mercedes is Lunar blue (dark blue) and our Acura RDX is also a bright blue. I’m leaning towards gray, red, or white on the TTS.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a'16TTS and now own a '20TTS.
In my opinion, Audi fixed a number of issues. The new car is much peppier, handles better -though it does have that stupid eco system that powers down the engine when stopped.
I'm glad I bought it.
I traded in an '11 Mk2, and was very dissapointed- The Bang and Olufsen sound system didn't have enough bass, There was a weird lag on the accelerator. The seat bolsters kept popping.
If you do buy a TTS, get a clear protective bra for the front.-Unless you like road rash.
Bob
Old 01-31-2021, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Gbob
I had a'16TTS and now own a '20TTS.
In my opinion, Audi fixed a number of issues. The new car is much peppier, handles better -though it does have that stupid eco system that powers down the engine when stopped.
I'm glad I bought it.
I traded in an '11 Mk2, and was very dissapointed- The Bang and Olufsen sound system didn't have enough bass, There was a weird lag on the accelerator. The seat bolsters kept popping.
If you do buy a TTS, get a clear protective bra for the front.-Unless you like road rash.
Bob
Thanks. I didn’t know it had automatic stop/start. That could be annoying. Can it be disabled?

I found a ‘19 TTS with competition package and premium package (the one with Nav/car play/b&O sound system). it has 9,870 miles on it. They are asking $49,985 for it. I offered $45K. I’ll see if they bite. I doubt it but I’m in no huge rush either. It has the black wheels which I I’m not a huge fan of but they still look good. I’d rather have the silver wheels but that’s my only quibble with it.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogfan760
I just sold my C7 corvette grandsport. I don’t need another car as we have 2 others. But I want another. I think I want a TT-S but I’ve never driven one. My last VAG vehicles was an MKIV GTI.

I haven’t a clue what I want. I think I want a TT-S but need to drive it first. I haven’t been able to find a ton of information on the TTS between the different model years. I may lease a brand new one, but I have no idea what lease rates look like.

Sorry for my rambling. My question is what’s the difference between an ‘18, 19, 20, and ‘21 model years? I’m thinking if I buy, I’ll get a CPO one. Or one that is only a year old with low miles (if not CPO). I’m only interested in the TT-S. The biggest thing keeping me away from Audi is that the closest dealer is a 2 hour trip away (Tulsa, OK).
The Edmunds website can explain year-to-year changes for those unfamiliar with the TT. These are the links you'll need --

https://www.edmunds.com/audi/tt/2017/review/
https://www.edmunds.com/audi/tt/2018/review/
https://www.edmunds.com/audi/tt/2019/review/
https://www.edmunds.com/audi/tt/2020/review/

Good hunting!

Last edited by VGM911; 02-01-2021 at 05:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dhynes (02-02-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Many folks think the 20" rims are too harsh with 19" being the sweet spot for comfort/performance. However, in your case coming from a Vette, 20" rims might feel like an improvement in comfort.
I second the comment that a clearbra is a must.
According to their web site Audi is not offering the TTS for 2021 and none can be found on sites like cars.com. A nationwide search for new 2020 TTS on cars.com only found 1 white car.
Changes over the years were primarily cosmetic with the 2019 model getting a fascia refresh. The 2019 MY also had more standard equipment that were options in 2018. Also, the 2019 replaced the 6 speed DSG with a 7 speed. No engine changes. Slight differences in engine specs were due to a change in how they were measured, not a change to the engine.
Don't know when the stop/start was added but it isn't on my 2017.
You will find that about 90% of the TTs for sale will have monochromatic paint (white, gray, black). Colored pigment paints are hard to find and usually command a premium price in the used market. IMO the Turbo Blue is really outstanding.
Again, coming from a Vette, you will probably find the TTRS is more your style. They are available new and low mileage used TTRS can be found for the low $50s if you are patient. I'm not a fan of green paint but the green TTRS is a real stunner.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Not sure if it applies to the TTS ... but there is something very important that happened in 2019 to the TT RS (for the worse).
Prior to 2019, the TT RS came with the DAZA engine, which allowed significant fuel to be injected right off the bat, peddle to the metal.
European regulators pushed back and wanted better fuel efficiency from the car .... so they introduced the DNWA engine ... which in essence
regulates the fuel flow when you put the pedal down to improve overall fuel efficiency. The top horse power didn't change much because
that comes in later at higher RPMs, so top speed is fine. But what is critical is initial torque is reduced ... less fuel = delayed torque = LOWER ACCELERATION.
The DNWA engines cannot compare to the torque profile of the DAZA engine ... and therefore the acceleration.

Europe introduced the DNWA in 2019, but they were phased into the North American vehicles during 2019 ... so there are some 2019 DAZA cars out there.
From 2020 onwards, I believe they are ALL DNWA engines.
BRKNJMPR (02-04-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

2017 TTS here. Like everyone said, changes were very minor. I think it's pretty clear they're planning to kill this model. I don't find any use for CarPlay on the single screen system, it takes over the whole dash and the built in system is a better use of space IMO. If it had a second screen I'd use it all the time.

Totally second the clear-bra statements. I never did and at 50k miles it's one of the most beat-up fronts of any car I've owned, not sure why.

If it was all the same I'd definitely encourage you to get the 7-speed. It's one of my few gripes about my car. You're at like 3300 RPM cruising at 70 MPH with the 6-speed. Bad for refinement and bad for highway mileage.

Avoid the 20" at all costs. They look fantastic but the ride is unbearable at times even on the softest setting, and I've blown more tires than all my other cars combined.
Huey52 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Threadjack. Agree that the front end chipping of the TT is terrible

Originally Posted by macaddict111
Totally second the clear-bra statements. I never did and at 50k miles it's one of the most beat-up fronts of any car I've owned, not sure why.
I owned 2 Mk 1s with no clearbra and the front end paint still looked respectable at 90K miles of mostly 70mph+ freeway driving. My Mk 2 looked like a shotgun hit it after about 20K miles and it annoyed me so much I got it re-sprayed and then got a clearbra. I'm guessing that the change from stainless steel to aluminum for the front end when the Mk 2 was introduced is the culprit. The metal is just to soft to withstand pebble hits.