TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Dash rattling sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

"Originally Posted by Jeffc View Post
I unplugged the Soundaktor today and eliminated the buzzing noise. The unit is located just below the right side wiper shaft. Once a rubber seal and four fasteners are removed, the cowl can be pried up just barely enough to jam a hand in there and grab the connector. I used a long screwdriver to push the connector off. If you know how to remove the wiper arms you might prevent a few skinned knuckles. Could just be my imagination, but the car seems just a bit smoother and/or quieter."

btw: I have a bit of buzzing from my left most air vent when the car is cold. Once the cabin warms no issue. Turns out it's the bezel ring in-tolerance.

Last edited by Huey52; 02-19-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

I mean yes, it's going to sound smoother/quieter because you now basically just have an A3, acoustics wise. Maybe that's a good thing for you! The Soundaktor is always adding a bit of "gruff" to the engine sound even in Comfort. I enjoy driving my roomie's A3 sometimes because it's like my car with less power but more smooth/glide haha, like the TT that went to law school and has a nice, quiet, suburban family life haha.

Agree with others though, probably the easier way to deal with this is to just turn it to 0 with VCDS. Then you can just code it back on if you go to sell it.

Last edited by macaddict111; 02-19-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 21tesla
If you have OBDeleven or VCDS, you can turn the soundaktor volume from 100 to 0. Perhaps, that's enough to disable it.
Definitely possible with VCDS via Adaptations in Module 09. Very easy , enter value in the appropriate checkbox. OE is 100% which I changed to 0% and the artificial sound is gone. I don't know if intermediate values are possible.
I prefer the change b/c Soundaktor sounds fake to my ears. The sound frequency does not rise with increasing RPMs as it should and is entirely too loud for a little 2.0l motor.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macaddict111
I mean yes, it's going to sound smoother/quieter because you now basically just have an A3, acoustics wise. Maybe that's a good thing for you! The Soundaktor is always adding a bit of "gruff" to the engine sound even in Comfort. I enjoy driving my roomie's A3 sometimes because it's like my car with less power but more smooth/glide haha, like the TT that went to law school and has a nice, quiet, suburban family life haha.

Agree with others though, probably the easier way to deal with this is to just turn it to 0 with VCDS. Then you can just code it back on if you go to sell it.
I like the soundaktor sound in dynamic mode, I just don't like the rattle.

What I'm really asking is whether this vibration/rattle is part of the car's design (I suppose it's possible given my car has done it from day 1/mile 1) or whether everyone who has reported it is experiencing a defect in parts or engineering of some kind. And if it's a defect, how has the dealership repaired it for people in the past? Replaced the soundaktor with a new one? Tightened the soundaktor's screws? Something else?
Old 02-21-2021, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

You may know that the inside of the windshield is utilized to bounce soundaktor waves so perhaps what is a vibration/rattle/buzz to you is actually as intended for others? Everyone's perception is different (as I learned in perceptual psych 101 ). Has anyone else listened to it?

Originally Posted by AudiAuto
I like the soundaktor sound in dynamic mode, I just don't like the rattle.

What I'm really asking is whether this vibration/rattle is part of the car's design (I suppose it's possible given my car has done it from day 1/mile 1) or whether everyone who has reported it is experiencing a defect in parts or engineering of some kind. And if it's a defect, how has the dealership repaired it for people in the past? Replaced the soundaktor with a new one? Tightened the soundaktor's screws? Something else?