TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Best Time to Trade-In

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best Time to Trade-In

I have a 2021 TTs, and I'm thinking about trading it on an new S4. Is it the best time for resale value just after the model goes out of production, or does it not matter much? I'm guessing that on the used car market the trade-in value will stay higher just after the end of TTs production, and might drop very significantly afterwards. The car has 12500 miles on it. If I keep it a few more years the mileage will no longer be an advantage, and Audi enthusiasts might have forgotten about the TTs entirely. Thoughts?

Last edited by Jeffc; 03-03-2024 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

I've been following the TT used car market for 15 years. Prices for used recent model TTs are the highest I've ever seen. That includes the ratio of used price/original MSRP so it's not just that new TTs were more expensive in recent years. I assume present demand is driven by buyers who have decided that they missed out. Used late model TT inventory is as low as I've ever seen it nationwide. IMO, the price trend can only go down from here as the TT fades from buyers' memories.
BTW, I just learned that a local frequent TT West participant is selling his clean 2019 Turbo Blue TTRS with 10K miles for $64.4K. Anyone interested, message me for more info.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

The marginal extra $'s associated with the timing of the sale of the TT would for me be trumped many times over by the extra driving fun afforded by the TT vs and S4. As an additional data point, the used car market overall in general has cooled off some from its post Covid highs which probably adds significance to Vegas's observations.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McTTRS
The marginal extra $'s associated with the timing of the sale of the TT would for me be trumped many times over by the extra driving fun afforded by the TT vs and S4. As an additional data point, the used car market overall in general has cooled off some from its post Covid highs which probably adds significance to Vegas's observations.
I owned an S4 before I got into the two TTS that I've owned. The S4 is a very nice "sporty" sedan. I'd be trading the handling of the TTs for more comfort, practicality, more immediate torque, and more modern convenience features (MMI and others). It's a tough decision, and I agree that the marginal dollars are just a small part of the overall rationalization.

There isn't any replacement for the TTs in the new car, daily driver, all-wheel drive, hatchback, 2-door sports car market. It's not likely that there ever will be. So once it's gone, I'm not likely to own anything like it. That's a little scary.

I'll continue down the path to see what's out there for an S4 with my options. In that process, something will eventually happen to sway the decision one way or the other.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jeffc; 03-03-2024 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
I've been following the TT used car market for 15 years. Prices for used recent model TTs are the highest I've ever seen. That includes the ratio of used price/original MSRP so it's not just that new TTs were more expensive in recent years. I assume present demand is driven by buyers who have decided that they missed out. Used late model TT inventory is as low as I've ever seen it nationwide. IMO, the price trend can only go down from here as the TT fades from buyers' memories.
BTW, I just learned that a local frequent TT West participant is selling his clean 2019 Turbo Blue TTRS with 10K miles for $64.4K. Anyone interested, message me for more info.
Confirms my suspicions. If I do this, I'll play hardball on the trade-in value.
Also, a new-car sales manager made the mistake of telling me that they immediately sold every TTs that they were able to get their hands on, and he wishes that there had been a lot more built.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jeffc; 03-03-2024 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jeffc
There isn't any replacement for the TTs in the new car, daily driver, hatchback, 2-door sports car market. .
By replacement do you mean a 4 wheel drive car from Audi? If not, the GTR 4x and a number of other Japanese cars fit your spec as well as BMW offerings including the M4 coupe. Sounds like you have already made p your mind and are simply in search of a rationalization sufficient enough to pull the trigger - go for it dude.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

By replacement do you mean a 4 wheel drive car from Audi? If not, the GTR 4x and a number of other Japanese cars fit your spec as well as BMW offerings including the M4 coupe. Sounds like you have already made p your mind and are simply in search of a rationalization sufficient enough to pull the trigger - go for it dude.
Major rationalization in progress...but I think it's nearly complete.

Regarding an alternative to the TTs, all wheel drive should have been part of that list. I drove an M240 xDrive a few years ago. Without the convenience and practicality of a hatch-back, it was too small. In other areas it was too...BMW.

OTOH, I much prefer Audi to BMW, but if I'm looking at the S4 I probably should at least look at something like a BMW 3 or 4 series, or a Mercedes AMG C43.

Update:
I looked. Not impressed vs the S4.

Last edited by Jeffc; 03-03-2024 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Major rationalization in progress......
OTOH, I much prefer Audi to BMW.
I too would not have a BMW on a bet but their X-Drive M3 hits 0-60 in less than 3 seconds.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I too would not have a BMW on a bet but their X-Drive M3 hits 0-60 in less than 3 seconds.
I like 3 seconds 0-60, but in most other areas of consideration the S4 beats the M3 or M340i by a wide margin. Similar situation with the S4 vs the MB AMG C43.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Sounds like sales BS

Confirms my suspicions. If I do this, I'll play hardball on the trade-in value.
Also, a new-car sales manager made the mistake of telling me that they immediately sold every TTs that they were able to get their hands on, and he wishes that there had been a lot more built.

Thanks.
New TT sales in the US the past few years was just awful. The average dealer only sold 1 TT every 2-4 months. That is the primary reason why late model used TT are so scarce. The primary source of late model used TT is off-lease after 2-3 years and there just were not that many in the US.

Quick Reply: Best Time to Trade-In