TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2016 TT Apple Carplay Retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to see what it's like to go to the motions of putting the SD card software on (with a lot of pictures!), there is a nice write up here. It's in French.

https://forums.audipassion.com/topic...r-play-payant/
Old 07-31-2020, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is such good stuff, thank you for sharing this, and thank you to google translate.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 21tesla
If you want to see what it's like to go to the motions of putting the SD card software on (with a lot of pictures!), there is a nice write up here. It's in French.

https://forums.audipassion.com/topic...r-play-payant/
thanks, that’s exactly the process I had also. Same person, same price.

He’s refined the process a little and VCDS is not needed to clear the faults. Go for a 5km drive.

I had trouble with the key beside the steering column. It turns out if you have the wheel as close to the dash as it will go, it doesn’t read easily. Moved the column toward me and it was fine.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I walked into one of my Audi dealerships in the SF Bay Area and purchased one which they had in stock. I scheduled for the install and was quoted an insane price because they have yet to install one so they're not sure how many hours is required. I guess I'll be the guinea pig. I printed out the email communication I had with Audi corporate that confirms it can be installed because the dealership was a little confused. The item that you buy is actually a license. They have to run a software update or something like that. So I'll see what happens sometime next week. It's been a journey for me. All of the dealerships in Sacramento were clueless and refused to even research if it could be installed. This isn't the first time I've had issues with the Sacramento dealerships so I'll stick with the East Bay ones from now on.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, confirmed that it doesn’t work for my car. They said the smartphone license was not compatible with my vin#. I did get a quote for map update.......$1600! Gotta love that Bay Area pricing
Old 02-22-2021, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't trust what the dealers say.
All of the TT's can have the carplay installed.
Also navigation map update can be done for a LOT less money than that.
Originally Posted by J-Fly
Ok, confirmed that it doesn’t work for my car. They said the smartphone license was not compatible with my vin#. I did get a quote for map update.......$1600! Gotta love that Bay Area pricing
Old 02-22-2021, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by simaservis1108
Don't trust what the dealers say.
All of the TT's can have the carplay installed.
Also navigation map update can be done for a LOT less money than that.
they had my car for a couple of hours. They said they tried and it wouldn’t work.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:58 AM
TT fan

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

because they aren't skilled enough
The following users liked this post:
Huey52 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Most dealership line mechanics are "decision tree" type workers who are paid to follow a computer/shop manual script and not necessarily fully diagnose a root cause to an issue on their own. Therefore they are generally ill equipped to go "off script" and retrofit an item such as this.

To be fair there are some very good dealership mechanics that can go above and beyond, but they're rare. Most of same with such talent move on to specialty shops. So I believe you'd/we'd be better served in this regard elsewhere.

I've had line mechanics call mothership Audi engineers when they get in over their head tho', so I'm surprised J-Fly that they apparently did not in your case.

Last edited by Huey52; 02-23-2021 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Fly
they had my car for a couple of hours. They said they tried and it wouldn’t work.
If you are up for it,I can remotely activate it on your car.
Send me a PM if you want to get Carplay

Quick Reply: 2016 TT Apple Carplay Retrofit?