TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Very Important question: Does a APR or REVO chip VOID the Audi Warranty? Please advise & Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Important question: Does a APR or REVO chip VOID the Audi Warranty? Please advise & Thanks
Old 04-29-2007, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Depends on your dealer. Some dealers sell chips, some will use any excuse possible to say any

problem that you have is directly related to your chip. CommonWealth Audi of Santa Ana, CA would not service my synchros under warranty because "my car was chipped". Basically, the car no longer shifted smoothly, in fact for the 1st to 2nd shift, it was completely reluctant. Having gone through synchro issues before, I was pretty familiar with the symptoms. Commonwealth argued, and told me that they adjusted the linkage and that was all that they could do. When I kept pushing (after my third service trip for "adjusting the linkage" -they finally came up with the excuse that they would not warranty the synchros because I had altered the power output of the vehicle. (I was covered under the 'Audi Advantage') They said "if I wanted my car fixed, I needed to pay for the cost up front". It was such a nightmare that I ended up getting rid of my TT and nearly didn't buy an Audi again. I would recommend everyone stay away from that dealership that buys an Audi. They have absolutely horrible service.

On the other hand, some dealers sell 2008 'Challenge Series' Audi TT's that come with Stasis suspension, exhaust, exterior upgrades, as well as being chipped. The output is 240bhp on a 2.0T DSG with a $42,594 MSRP. 0-60 drops to 5.4sec and pulls .98g Some of the Audi dealers that offer this package include:

Prestige Audi
Fred Baker Audi
Champion Audi
Ptaff Audi
Niello Audi
Penske Audi

My point is, purchase (or at the very least), service your car at a 'tuning friendly' dealership. Check with your dealer first and see what they say. Oh ya, and don't buy from Commonwealth in California.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get the stock program with security lockout feature from APR. Dealer won't notice mod...

... on most diagnostics such as scheduled maintenance.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 AM

Default But what if there's a serious warrant engine issue?

It seems that all Auto Manufacturers are looking for ways to void a warranty when an expensive repair is required. A friend of mine is fighting Porsche who denied his warranty claim because he participated in several AutoX events.

Also keep in mind that it's Audi and not the Dealer that pays for the warranty repair. So regardless of who installs the chip, Audi has the final call, and you better believe that Audi will be looking really hard at the root cause of any catastrophic damage to one of their engines.

If little tuner shops like APR can quickly come up with a new chip that significantly offers a HP/Torque boost, why didn't a multi-billion dollar company like Audi with its mamoth R&D budget do the same thing? Could it be that Audi's Engineers were concerned about engine longevity?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: But what if there's a serious warrant engine issue?

It also could be that the marketing group does not want the high hp 2.0T to compete with the 3.2 V6. Audi already makes a 265hp and 280hp version of the 2.0T so you can't say the engineers can't do it. I took a little ride in a TT with the new 265hp 2.0T from the euro S3 and it was pretty damn fast, but a little difficult to keep power on the ground with FWD.
Longevity is not likely an issue. I have had my 1.8t chipped for over 150,000 miles already, completely stock turbo and exhaust. The only thing I added was a FMIC and aftermarket bypass valve.