TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TT vs TTS without mods (not chipped)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT vs TTS without mods (not chipped)

I'm continuing to battle with my decision. Should I get a TT or TTS?

Many TTS owners say the car is amazing if it is chipped. However, I'd like to know how it performs when unchipped. I drive in 20% city traffic, 80% highway traffic, and I'm the kind of driver who leaves it in "D" most of the time. I also like curvy mountain roads now and then. My biggest concern is that the TTS turbo won't kick in until 2500 RPM, and thus it might feel slower than the TT in most situations.

So...comparing a stock fully loaded TT to a stock fully loaded TTS, which would you prefer?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

By the way, how is the regular TT turbo lag? Is it noticeable too?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The power delivery of my TTS did not change much stock vs Stasis tune. I never noticed the so called lag, actually I found the car very responsive. The standard TT is nice too, but I wanted the other upgrades that only come with the TTS so I never considered the standard version. Best thing to do is to drive the 2 versions back to back on the same day and same driving conditions/route. Only in this way can you determine with certanty which is right for you.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jza80
The power delivery of my TTS did not change much stock vs Stasis tune. I never noticed the so called lag, actually I found the car very responsive. The standard TT is nice too, but I wanted the other upgrades that only come with the TTS so I never considered the standard version. Best thing to do is to drive the 2 versions back to back on the same day and same driving conditions/route. Only in this way can you determine with certanty which is right for you.
You echo my reasons for going with the TTS as well. However for the OP, I think he might be better off with the TT if he's going to spend most of his time in "D". The low end torque on the base TT is pretty amazing and with the coin he saves, he can flash that puppy and upgrade the exhaust.

With the TTS, you really do have to keep things at 2500 rpm or better to stay in the power band and that's no problem for me
Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My whole thing comes down to the money.....the TTS in solar orange prestige package built out to $51,245....the TT prestige package with the goodies built out to $48,595. For me I think the $3000 is not enough of a seperation cost wise to justify not getting a TTS
Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove a TTS for a couple of hours today. It does feel a little sluggish under 2500 RPM, but it's not bad. When the turbo kicks in at 2500 RPM it's simply amazing, and you get a grin on your face that won't go away! I drove the car in city traffic, the interstate, and on curvy mountain roads. It was good in the city, and excellent everywhere else. OMG, the passing power at 70 MPH is frighteningly good! You'll go from 70 to 90 before you even know what's happening.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, be careful, it also handles so confidently and without drama at speed and slows so quickly when desired that it's very easy to find yourself just humming along with the radio and slaloming through traffic at triple digit speeds.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

The discussion between the two is silly.

From 0-30 there is no difference in times. You're dealing with two 2.0 fours of identical displacement with slightly different mapping in first gear, so no surprise there. After that, the bigger blower wins, hands down. TTS never looks back. Moreover, in 40-70 passing, there is more than a half-second advantage to the TTS, and almost a second and a half advantage from 50-90.

Fact, anybody who tells you with a straight face that there is "less" or "no" "lag" to the base TT by comparison is either full of it, has never actually driven both or (likely) very confused by the difference in boost levels.

Tidbit for fun: the no longer available 3.2Q is actually a tenth slower to thirty than either of the fours.

A lag discussion between these two is just silly. For stoplight racing, I suggest looking for displacement, For real driving joy, TTS.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hextall27
My whole thing comes down to the money.....the TTS in solar orange prestige package built out to $51,245....the TT prestige package with the goodies built out to $48,595. For me I think the $3000 is not enough of a seperation cost wise to justify not getting a TTS
I got my Oolong gray TTS Prestige w/ all the options for right around $49,700 (before taxes and fees). Like Hextall27 stated, it comes down to what your getting for the price and getting it at a price you are satisfied with.. If you're already in the market to spend 45-55K on a TT, you may as well make the jump to the TTS. A 5-10% price jump isn't huge when you really think about it for what it is your getting. With the TTS You have a car that will get you to and from work, and a new toy that will really open up when you really want to go out and play. Where the TT will still be the base TT no matter where you're driving it. Its still a fun car, but the TTS can give you a bit of variety.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default For additional savings

Originally Posted by hextall27
I chose an optioned-up Premium Plus base TT, because that trim level has about $1500 worth of savings relative to the Prestige. I actually believe Audi made an error in setting the pricing. The only items you can't get starting with P+ are the Bose sound system, LED interior lighting and ultrasonic backup warning. [Note: Applies to 2011-2012 MY. Not sure what will happen for 2013.]

Quick Reply: TT vs TTS without mods (not chipped)