TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TTRS Brakes stop great - lots of brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIMAN-RS4
It is truly astonishing what 4 pieces of 1/8 inch thick steel shimes placed on the back of your brake pads can do to stop brake noises. Good job Audi!
TSB from Audi?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same problem on 2013 TT RS

Traded in my RS4 for a 2013 TT RS. The brakes on the RS4 were awesome and never gave a lick of trouble. They did squeal with track pads on but that is to be expected.

I had noise as described above from the get go. I thought a few track days would take care of it.

The first day at the Glen and I had brake vibration, a lot of it. I ran the 2 days, beat my best RS4 time by the way, and took it to the dealer thinking the rotors were warped. They said there was pad transfer. I agreed to let them sand the rotors. Long story short the warped rotor feeling is slowly going away now that the rotors are smooth again but as soon as I got the rotors smooth the noise started up again. I think it must be the pads. They sound like track pads but not as bad.

Anyone try Carbotechs on the TT RS yet?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi can fix ur brake noise.

Do U still like ur TTRS?

We need to start a Forum for our soon to be 1000 cars.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Running Carbotechs all around

The street pads are 1521s and no noise issues. On the track XP10s. Having issues with the left pads wearing twice as fast as the right side due to heat issues. Also brake pedal to the floor after 25 minutes. WG is the worst for brakes.
I had a bit of transfer, but it has since worn off. Try QW.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by syncro4all
I had forgotten about the noise which also went away after my one and only track day so far. However my brakes are "damaged" now also. I also had same issue with B6 S4 and my previous TTS.
My "tuner" is also recommending the same fix(AP discs). So track days are "safe" and painless now? I also do winter and snow, do you know if this brake upgrade will fit with the OEM UK 18" wheels (which we don't get in NA)?

I'm not sure if they will fit. Give Loba a call and see. My guess is they will not. The calliper is moved to a different position, but the overall size is the same.

I sold the TTRS and bought an R8 V10, so I'm guessing I will now have new worries.

Enjoy the car. It is an awesome machine and ver easy to track.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default TT RS Brakes

One track day at 500 miles on the ODO and my brakes were shot, Audi replaced the pads and rotors on all 4 corners. Now they just have a squeel at stopping speed.
One person mentioned:
"Having issues with the left pads wearing twice as fast as the right side due to heat issues."

One thing I noticed is, the front rotors are NOT specific to each side, therefor the cooling vanes are not correct for one of the sides for drawing in the air.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll be taking the TT RS in for the first Service at 5000 miles this weekend or next. I was wondering if there is anything particular I should say to them to address the brake noise.

Honestly, the squealing brakes are not only annoying, but flat out embarrassing especially on a car of this price and caliber.

I just have a feeling they are going to say that Audi is unaware of the issue and there is nothing they can do. That seems unacceptable to me, but what can you do if they won't fix it?

Any opinions / suggestions?

r
Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dscheid
One track day at 500 miles on the ODO and my brakes were shot, Audi replaced the pads and rotors on all 4 corners. Now they just have a squeel at stopping speed.
One person mentioned:
"Having issues with the left pads wearing twice as fast as the right side due to heat issues."

One thing I noticed is, the front rotors are NOT specific to each side, therefor the cooling vanes are not correct for one of the sides for drawing in the air.
Correct, in this case the left side rotor is the trailing edge drawing the air from the centre of the hub, the correct way. The right side rotor is the leading edge and pushing the air over the hub, not the correct way. The left side is where all the heat is being generated evidenced by the colour of the Ti shims and the excessive pad wear. Still working on it.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I hope so

Originally Posted by AUDIMAN-RS4
Audi can fix ur brake noise.

Do U still like ur TTRS?

We need to start a Forum for our soon to be 1000 cars.
I love the TT RS. I loved the RS4 too. The TT RS gives up a lot of practicality but as a fun sports car I like it better accross the board. I miss the big V-8 but the turbo 5 makes it a lot easier. The seats, the clutch, transmission, weight, size, just great. The brake issue really sucks.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by TTrevoRS
The street pads are 1521s and no noise issues. On the track XP10s. Having issues with the left pads wearing twice as fast as the right side due to heat issues. Also brake pedal to the floor after 25 minutes. WG is the worst for brakes.
I had a bit of transfer, but it has since worn off. Try QW.
Trevor, I would recognize that TT RS anywhere. I think it is a one of a kind. If Audi does not step up, and they certainly are taking their sweet time, I will have to go to the Carbotechs. Thanks for the advice. I had the 1521's on my RS4 and they were solid and very rotor friendly.

Quick Reply: TTRS Brakes stop great - lots of brake noise