TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TT RS, stolen/crashed/recovered = insurance issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aleicgrant
I would talk to your dealer. Likely the first place I would be suspect of since they had a key. Perhaps someone in service or sales who would know how to obtain it. Sorry man thats really a bummer in so many ways
Totally agreed. Obtaining a key to one of these cars is a nontrivial act, and for a car that had only been there a few days? And they knew exactly where to find it? Smells like an inside job to me too.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance is settling

They sent an email and will give me a full replacement. Good news all around.

No one has been able to "solve" the key issue, but that's not my concern now.

Once this is all solved inwillmpost the letter I sent the insurance company. It was pretty compelling and might be of use for someone else.

I'm thinking of going Suzuka Grey this time around.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black Penguin
They sent an email and will give me a full replacement. Good news all around.

No one has been able to "solve" the key issue, but that's not my concern now.

Once this is all solved inwillmpost the letter I sent the insurance company. It was pretty compelling and might be of use for someone else.

I'm thinking of going Suzuka Grey this time around.
Now that sounds good. Just hope things work out and the timeline is reasonable.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow, just read this thread and glad to hear the full replacement value was given by the insurance.

From what I've read here, it sure sounds like an inside job with someone associated the dealership.

Interested to hear what is ultimately discovered.

As far as color, if I were to do it all over again, it would be the Lava Grey with Ti sport pkg or the Sepang Blue with the AL accent pkg. Hard to go wrong with any color, it's so subjective!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK that's good news but...

"No one has been able to "solve" the key issue, but that's not my concern now."

Why is that no longer a concern?

Are you satisfied this won't happen again by the same person(s) or are you garaging the car at all times?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Not a concern now

Thecguyvthat stole the car has been arrested and is face a ton of charges. The dealership is reputable and has had tow different police forces and the insurance investigation people there.
stealing the replacement car would be stupid beyond belief, and far easier to solve.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Black Penguin
the guy that stole the car has been arrested and is facing a ton of charges. The dealership is reputable and has had tow different police forces and the insurance investigation people there.
stealing the replacement car would be stupid beyond belief, and far easier to solve.
So many iPad spelling mistakes. Sorry guys.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow - more great news - did you know him?

This is like a Perry Mason episode!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Did I know him???

I did not know him, but he is apparently known to the police. They are investigating this thing like crazy, so far four different police departments have called looking for info.

But I have no info beyond "went to bed and woke up to an empty driveway". Not very exciting.

The insurance company was alright in the end, they covered everything. Though I wish it could have happened more quickly. Looks like a replacement car in Suzuka grey will be arriving by Wednesday.

****** this is the note I sent, stating my case for full replacement. This might be helpful *****

The car in question is a rare 2012 Audi TT RS.*
These cars have been created in low numbers for the enthusiast market. The RS cars from Audi are collectable and are NOT AVAIBLE at every Audi dealer. All cars have been pre-purchased by the dealers lucky enough to get an allotment. Come the end of this month the supply will likely dry up and the available cars will sell at a premium above what I paid.*

This is a car purchased by people who know cars, they buy this model for the engine.*
This is a high performance car that must be safe up to the 155 mph speed limiter (even though that is not possible/advisable/legal on public streets. An owner COULD, choose to do this on a private course)?*

The car was stolen from my driveway after ten days of ownership. Just ten days old, so the car was in showroom condition. A special car so I purchased FULL REPLACEMENT VALUE.

The thief had a key. You have all the keys, I was given. I never had the key he apparently used, nor have I seen it.
--

Damage appears to include, but is not limited to the following:

The front driver fender, spoiler hood etc have sustained damage and will need to be replaced.

The drivers front wheel has been pushed back due to a bent control arm. This is a hard hit to the front wheel drivetrain.*

The frame will have to be measured to ensure it has not been compromised in anyway from the two accidents. It is an 69% aluminum car so the frame is a concern.*

The tow truck driver apparently did not use proper protocol while removing the car from the ditch. These cars should be "Flat bedded" to avoid any drivetrain damage. A detailed review of the drivetrain will be required.*

The THIEF stole a manual transmission car. The gears and clutch (Haldex and two differentials) will require a visual inspection to ensure there has been no abuse, or use that could create a future issue or reduced performance. The clutch and brake pads will have to be replaced as they are wear items.

The brand new paint has been covered in finger print dust and dirt. This surface will have to be returned to showroom condition. This includes swirls, scratches, stone chips etc.*

The interior has been abused and is filthy. It smelled of smoke (all residue must be removed from fibers etc) and there is good reason to believe the car has been used for drugs. Please be sure canine units will not flag the car when i travel across the border. It appears they "Lived" in the car.*

The passenger seat is broken and must be replaced. Please be sure all other hinges etc are not also abused.*

The car has substantial mileage put on it since I owned the car. I had XXX miles, it now reads XXXX miles. That's equivalent to distance from Toronto to Miami. To put it another way, that is close to six months of driving for me (check my Audi service records).

This mileage is 3.64 times what was on it before. Judging from the state of the car this was not a joy ride around the block. Not all miles are equal

To make matters worse, this mileage was put on during the critical break in period. The engine is a high output turbocharged 5 cylinder, it needs to be driven according to a specific break-in schedule. The restrictions are severe, here are a few examples:

No full throttle
Vary the engine speeds and keep revs below 4000 rpm
Do not keep the car at the same rpm for more than 10 mins. On highway shift between 4/5/6th
Do not exceed 2/3 of maximum rpm (much lower threshold than a fault code would record)
Do not rev the engine up to high rpms when the engine is cold
Don't slip clutch, don't dump clutch etc

Many of these restrictions are far below the Audi fault code threshold, so there is no way of proving they have been adhered to.*

If you choose to review the ECU for a history of the miles he put on the car, you will likely see all the proof I need. But, there are many forms of abuse they wont show (clutch dumps, improper cold reving, improper cool down, constant rps, etc), so it's not conclusive.
--

Many consumers claim their cars are "just like new", but my car was new, just ten days old. Every component was factory perfect (less XX miles). The excessive additional mileage put on irresponsibly during the break-in period means the car cannot be returned to the condition it was in before it was stolen. Therefore I am asking that I receive a new car with mileage equal to or less than XXX miles and a value of $XX,XXX+. This is what every average consumer would expect after paying for the Full Replacement Value Coverage.*

I expect to hear your response by XXX Xth. I am hopeful you will agree and we can continue our business arrangement. Should you choose not to, we will have to move straight to the Ombudsman stage
Old 03-10-2012, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to hear progress is being made. Very curious to hear how he got the key!

Quick Reply: TT RS, stolen/crashed/recovered = insurance issue