TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TT RS it AMG C63????

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT RS it AMG C63????

I have owned two TT's in the past. Both DSG 3.2's, mk1 and Mk2. Loved both cars,

Anyway, I traded the last TT in for a 2010 S4 (second one of those two). 18 months later and I'm not really gelling with the S4. It really lacks emotion (for me anyway). It's not loud enough, fast enough or luxurious enough. It is good for winter though, and truth be told it wast purchased to drop the kids off at school etc.

I have a summer ride (Aston Martin Vantage 4.7, and a 510 hp Range Rover Sport (wife's car). Both great cars, both excell in making you feel like you are driving a CAR.

So here are my options for getting rid of the S4:

Audi TTRS. Very quick, especial with a chip. More neutral handling with a Haldex mod. Perfect car for tracking all summer and commuting in winter. Love the way they look. Great engine note, good not great interior (in Canada). Awesome transmission. Numb steering. Fast and unique. Beautiful.

AMG C63. Very fast. Thunderous torque and exhaust note. Far better interior, with a few crap bits thrown in. Awesome 7 speed tranny, though that's also a flaw. Not as good looking, but optioned right, they do look great. The performance package gives you 489 hp. Better back seats, better reviews, though bigger. In real life it is more livable. Onntrackmits close. Not a great choice of aftermarket tires and rims.

Both cars are similar enough in price. To me that suggests the TT RS is over priced.

What say you?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Damn auto correct ruined my subject title.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ahh Grasshoppper. Before one can seek full satisfaction from new vehicle, one must answer question "Why?"

So much for the '70's Kung Fu.

But seriously, until you answer "why" the S4 is not "gelling" for you, I don't think you can make a decision.

Most of my friends who have spent years in short wheelbase cars (911, TT, etc.) and trade for a performance sedan note a similar dissatisfaction with the sedan. Once you tack on 10" or so of wheelbase, you lose a certain intimacy with the transient response (IMHO) of the vehicle. Trying to get through any corner and dragging that extra 10" or so of wheelbase just doesn't feel the same. I don't care how "close" you think a sedan would be on a track. It's not about lap times, it's about how a short wheelbase car communicates to the driver.

Here's the wheelbases you're dealing with:
S4=110.7"
C63=108.9"
TT/TTRS=97.2

Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi all the way! Mercedes is just for a different type of person.

r
Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I'm not a big Mercedes fan, I respect the C63 as a very nice 3 season vehicle. That said, how does one compare the RWD Benz to a quattro Audi if being driven in winter ??!?

Although I only have the lowly TTS I cant imagine having a lack of sure footed snow traction that my DD provides ...
Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

If only they sold the "Estate" (wagon) version here that they sell of the C63 in the EU! I love my TTS but my truck has nearly 150k on it at this point and I'm suffering for the lack of high horsepower wagon options myself.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JimInSF
If only they sold the "Estate" (wagon) version here that they sell of the C63 in the EU! I love my TTS but my truck has nearly 150k on it at this point and I'm suffering for the lack of high horsepower wagon options myself.
Ditto on wagons. If only they sold the RS3 here [drool, pant, etc.]...
Old 01-30-2012, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Plan_Man
Ditto on wagons. If only they sold the RS3 here [drool, pant, etc.]...
I actually posted a message on Audi USA's FB wall asking about whether and when we'd get the A6 allroad, as the version with the 230kW TDI, torque vectoring, and all the latest gadgetry would be exactly what I'm looking for and I'd buy one in a blink, but they pulled it down instantly. There's the E63 wagon I guess - that moves you to six figures out the door (at least here in CA), but there may be no other option.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JimInSF
I actually posted a message on Audi USA's FB wall asking about whether and when we'd get the A6 allroad, as the version with the 230kW TDI, torque vectoring, and all the latest gadgetry would be exactly what I'm looking for and I'd buy one in a blink, but they pulled it down instantly. There's the E63 wagon I guess - that moves you to six figures out the door (at least here in CA), but there may be no other option.
Hmmmm. Both too big for me, but if you're currently using a truck, I can see the equation balancing.

To the point at hand, though, I agree with Stevelev on Daimler in general, and 911OnN on wheelbase. If you need the backseat room, BP, well then you need the back seat. If not, then I haven't seen anything out there that presents as well as the TT range, and certainly the bang for buck is second to none...
Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great questions 911sOldandNew.

First up, the S4 just lacks drama. It appears to have been designed to get rid of all drama. It is capable enough, but it does nothing in the extreme. The Merc has far more drama. It has a great sound, great throttle response, fantastically direct steering and an equally nice interior ( better seats, worse controls). thevMerc feels like a lot of carvforvthe money and it's such a throwback I doubt we will see one like this in a while.

Although the C63 is a larger coupe, it feels more alive than the S4. It changes direction quickly, and has a very lose rear end The weight is there though. The back seats are just that bit more useful. The acceleration is balistic.

My favorite car is my Aston, with a wheelbase of 102.5". I really do love these smaller vehicles, but I do have one.

I had an orange Boxster S for half of last summer and again it was a fantastic car. Great size, great exhaust note, superb dynamics. Iffy interior, though mine wasl alcantara!with orange stitching. I have considered a 997.1, but they are too pricey for what you get (I have the Aston).

I love the size of the TT RS. It looks great. The interior should be more bespoke for the money and to step it up to RS car levels. I love the intimate size of driving a car this size, though it's less fun with passengers. The ability to mod the Haldex is great,mi never did like the oversteer in my earlier cars nthe Aston spoils you road feel and steering. All Audi's feel numb in comparison. I would chip the car.

Two things make me pause on the TT RS:
It's too expensive in Canada relative to competitors like the Merc. I got a monthly payment that is within $80 a month on the Merc, even with a 10k higher sticker. Chalk it up to better residuals.

The TT RS might just be that bit too small, even though I only have to drive the kids a mile or so.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Wheelbase 102.5*in (2,604*mm)
Length 172.5*in (4,382*mm)
Width 73.5*in (1,867*mm)
Height 49.5 in (1,255*mm)

Audi TT RS
Wheelbase 2,468*mm (97.2*in)
Length 4,198*mm (165.3*in)
Width 1,842*mm (72.5*in)
Height 1,342*mm (52.8*in)

AMG C63
Wheelbase: 2,766 mm (108.9 in)