TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

tire cupping

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got my my new tires and alignment done. I got Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP. They told me my alignment was not that far off of the factory specs. The rear camber was -2.0 left and -0.8 on right. They said factory was -1.8 to -0.8. I don't remember the other settings. I was told there is no camber adjustment. Hopefully this new set of tires wears more evenly. I will try and rotate them more often.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 PM
n
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you noticed lowered gas milage on the Michelins?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you have run flats, this is a common problem. Runflats are junk. I had a 08 TT with them and I coud never get the vibration out for an extended period of time. My 09 TT has Michelins which are not runflats and I have never had a problem.The car now has 24K miles on it and they have been smooth as silk. Runflats ride rougher, are noisier and cup and vibrate badly. I will never own another car with them.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:33 PM
n
Audiworld Junior Member

I had cupping on the inner side of both front tires when I brought my car in for service. Car needs a realignment; havn't had one done since taking ownership 20k miles ago. Was running Dunlop SP5000 (non RF) which came with my 08 3.2 CPO.

I also switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP (ZeroPressure = RF). I take long trips and doing so without a spare gets me nervous sometimes (had a handfull of flats with my A4 during my 10 year relationship with it). These come highly recommended by many Corvette owners and figured I'd try them since Discount Tire Direct was ruuning a special where they cost the same as the non-runflat models and Michelin offered a $70 rebate.

I haven't noticed any noise or vibration differences. I immediately felt the ride being stiffer on non-smooth surfaces and a reduction in fuel economy by 2 mpg. Both of these have lessened after breaking in the rubber.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have only had the Michelins on for few weeks but I went from stock Pirelli PZero Nero All season RFT. I have not noticed any difference in gas milege. But I went from a runflat to another runflat. The Michelins do seem quieter but I am not sure if that is because I can't remember what the Pirellis sounded like before they started cupping. Ride seems similar so far.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had similar issues to others here. 2009 TT with 18" wheels, took it to the dealer around 8,000 miles and they said the tires were cupped and needed replaced. Went to a private shop, replaced the tires with Pirellis, and got an alignment. Vibration returned, got alignment two more times, then the new tires were ruined to the point of wires sticking out after about 20,000 miles, and severe abnormal wear on the inside. I've had runflats on two other vehicles and didn't have this problem. I think it's either a design flaw or faulty suspension parts. I am planning to get rid of the car, it's not worth the horrible ride and cost of tires.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an '11 TT S-Line with the 19'' wheels. The OE Conti Sport Contact 3 tires started getting noisy at around 8K miles, by 9K miles the tire noise was very loud and annoying. For example, coming to a stop, the tires would groan and I would feel minor vibration through the brake and steering wheel. Cruising at 35-40mph was horribly noisy, almost headache inducing. It wasn't as bad at highway speeds, but still annoying.

I routinely check tire pressures and don't abuse the tires. I'm very disappointed that the OE tires needed replacing at 10K miles - to the tune of $1250. The kicker is the OE tires still had some tread left and technically could've gone another few thousand miles.

Now, I don't expect a summer tire to last 25K miles, but I do expect 15K relatively quiet miles out of them. IMO, a car of this power/performance/class shouldn't come equipped with summer tires. There are plenty of high-performance all season tires that better suit the car. It's not a GT3, it's a sporty daily driver.

I replaced the OE Conti Sport Contact 3's with a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS's. The car is quiet again and the ride is noticeably smoother (better than new). IMO, these tires (or similar) should have been the OE.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 AM
JUS
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought a 2009 TT FWD with about 9,000 miles on it. Tires were badly cupped, they were the original Continentals. I have the 255/35/19". I had the car aligned and it was not out of spec. I was told to rotate them regularly, 5-6,000 miles. I have the Michelin Pilot A/S and the PS2, two different sets, that I have been running. I have not seen any issues with these tires to date.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q7 cupping n tire wear

Originally Posted by sdf3
I have a 09 TTQ. At about 4k miles I noticed that tires making a lot of noise. Went to the dealership and they said the tires were cupping. They said it was probably because I don't monitor the pressure well enough. I do check almost every month. Went back at 8k miles when the noise got louder. They said the same thing. Told me to live with the noise or get new tires. Well I got a nail in the stock run flat and so I am replacing all 4 with michelin's and getting an alignment done. Anyone else have problems with wearing on the inside of the tires? The rear looks like there is a lot of negative camber.
I also have had issues so i had my tires rebalanced found out that one of wheel weights came off ,their only stick on weights ! , This threw off my balance n caused cupping , I also found out I had a bent rim witch caused the tread to shave off the tire ,buying new rim ,along with new tires , to answer ur ???'s check balance , rims ,n alignment first , there's a lot of good brands for the Audi's just depends on ur own priority's