TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

So I drove a MKII 3.2 6MT and a TTS back to back last friday.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I drove a MKII 3.2 6MT and a TTS back to back last friday.........

The MKII was Ibis non Sline Coupe but fully loaded otherwise and is currently over $3500 below invoice and I could probably do better than that considering it's an 08 and they want it gone. So I figured i'd check it out. I had extensively driven a similar roadster during the week preceding and during TT West 2007 but hadn't been in one since. The dealership also has two TTS in stock - a Meteor Grey with Black/Red interior and and a Silver with the stock black/alcantara interior.

So I took out the 3.2 for a spin with my wife and was pretty impressed with it. It had magride so I switched it on and off to see the differences etc.

Then I got in the TTS and did the same loop. I came away much more impressed with the TTS overall. Pretty much sealed the deal on not moving forward on the 3.2. I was impressed with everything but the DSG. One thing I really didn't like was the quick 1 to 2 shift even in sport mode. If the programming was better - like what HPA is doing - it would be nicer overall. Other than that - I had no complaints on the power and handling of the TTS. I just don't think I could live with DSG every day, especially with it's current programming.

Then I drove a used 2006 Cayman S 6MT which had sport seats and that's about it. No PASM or sport crono package. Let's just say that everything you read about the steering and balance of the car is true. The powerbands of the two cars - the TTS and Cayman S are so different as well. TTS more down low - cayman more up high.

I was a bit disappointed in the shifter of the Cayman - a bit rubbery. The stock steering wheel is thin and horrid as well. Without PASM I couldn't check out the sport vs stock mode of the suspension - but the stock suspension was very similar to the stock magride setting of the TTS.

Other things to consider is that the TTS is more versatile - I can throw my bike in the back in a pinch and I know I can carry way more stuff than in a Cayman. Also - having bluetooth and sat radio make a difference to me - two things you can't get on the current Caymans.

I have to say though - from a pure driving perspective - the Cayman S wins but not by as big a margin as I expected.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:32 AM

Default Interesting feedback Joe

I've not met up with Nate yet to play with the TTS but I'm more interested on the "possible" arrival of the TT-RS (or whatever it ends up being called)..

Old 12-01-2008, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Obviously i'd be more interested in the TT-R as well but at $65k or more

it starts losing it's appeal, especially since it will be limited in availability and dealers won't do much on price.

If you look at a Cayman in terms of MSRP vs. Invoice the difference is huge, about $10k vs Audi's $4k. Not to mention Porsche dealers are more willing to deal than Audi.

If we don't get the TT-R/S or whatever they call it - we most likely will get the TTS with a manual. At that point - it get's more difficult a decision.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

TTS with a manual would be great.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think Sport Mode is adaptive, mine's time between gears is scary long!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Yep reg rowing 6spd + TTS would be very nice indeed

and very "tuner" friendly
Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My wife drove another TTS during TTWest and noted that same issue with quick shifting between 1-2

and noted it to me during my test drive. It might be adaptive - but I know for a fact that the programming has certain thresholds that are set.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you can use the paddles and shift yourself...

but I think all 6 speeds need to shift quick from 1st to 2nd.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well duh - but when the tranny does it for you before you CAN with the paddles

it's pretty frustrating. It's not like the TTS is a Jetta TDI...........
Old 12-02-2008, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

No bluetooth or sat radio available on a Cayman is ridiculous on Porsche's part.

Quick Reply: So I drove a MKII 3.2 6MT and a TTS back to back last friday.........