TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy?

Hello everyone I'm new here. I thought this would be the best place to ask my questions. I currently own a 2006 F-150 and I'm really getting annoyed with getting 14 MPG and after saving some money I thought the best thing to do is get a sporty car. I came across the TTS and thought AWESOME - all wheel drive, huge trunk (with the rear seats down), nice exterior and interior.

My worry is: I spent 250 bucks in 7 years in repairs so I am really worried about any repair costs.
Also I can find a ford dealer anywhere, Audi is pretty rare and so Do i have to get all the maintenance done at an Audi dealership?
And I have a habit of owning a vehicle for a long time so do Audi's hold up?

finally if there are any other suggestion I.E. get the S5 feel free to say so.

Thank you for your help everyone!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Some answers

Originally Posted by brightobjects
Hello everyone I'm new here. I thought this would be the best place to ask my questions. I currently own a 2006 F-150 and I'm really getting annoyed with getting 14 MPG and after saving some money I thought the best thing to do is get a sporty car. I came across the TTS and thought AWESOME - all wheel drive, huge trunk (with the rear seats down), nice exterior and interior.

My worry is: I spent 250 bucks in 7 years in repairs so I am really worried about any repair costs.
Also I can find a ford dealer anywhere, Audi is pretty rare and so Do i have to get all the maintenance done at an Audi dealership?
And I have a habit of owning a vehicle for a long time so do Audi's hold up?

finally if there are any other suggestion I.E. get the S5 feel free to say so.

Thank you for your help everyone!
I've never owned any car by any manufacturer, US, Japan, or European that only cost me $250 in repairs over 7 years, but then you've paid about double what I do in gas cost per year. Audi's reliability record has improved dramatically over the past 5 years. Consumer Reports rates it the most reliable manufacturer of any non-Japanese company. I would not have just bought my third TT if I thought it was unreliable.

VW dealerships will work on Audis - same company and many intercahngeable parts. Most independent shops that do German cars will work on Audis, particularly indy VW shops.

I think I've read somewhere that the TTS still has a timing belt. The other TT models (TT and TTRS) have a chain. Irrespective of what the Audi manual says, a TT timing belt should be changed every 5 years or 60K miles. The repair should include all belts, tensioner, & water pump. Cost is about $750 at an indy shop or double that at a dealer.

Doing your own work on a 4 cyl TT is fairly easy unless you have to get under the engine (like oil changes) which requires you to remove a belly cover.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned three TTRs in the past 10 years and one A4....very reliable cars. Only had issues with quirky stuff, like loss of Ac and upon repair, the glove box breaking apart. Also had a failure with the convertible roof mechanism...both thankfully covered by Audi. When I did tarde in my 2009 last month, the brakes were squeaking quite a bit, but I've heard a few people complain about this. Overall, a very reliable manufacturer...but $250 in 7 years? Consider yourself lucky....don't assume that will be how things track in general.

BosTTon