TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Run Flats vs Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Flats vs Rims

Manual states you need special rims for the run flat tires. Never heard of this before and was considering after market rims for my snow tires which again the manual says have to be run flats. Anyone deal with this issue before?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FischerWausau
Manual states you need special rims for the run flat tires. Never heard of this before and was considering after market rims for my snow tires which again the manual says have to be run flats. Anyone deal with this issue before?
You definitely do *NOT* need to run winter run flats, particularly not if you're getting a set of after market rims. If you get them without the TPMS sensors in them you'll go the winter with the TPMS warning in your dash, but you can ignore that. That's what I did. Got a set of Michelin Alpin PA3's and some cheap rims from www.tirerack.com, and had them sent to a local Merchants Tire to be installed. Whole thing was super easy and the tires were better on dry pavement than many all-season tires I've had on other cars.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FischerWausau
Rims are rims. Provided they are the correct diameter and width for the tire you want to use, they will handle run-flats, which are devil-spawn and to be avoided at all cost, or normal tires.

My TTS came equipped with a mobility package, which consists of a can of "flat-fix" and a 12v compressor. These are nested in the tray under the trunk floor. No run-flats.

You couldn't pay me to spend more than five minutes on run flats...
Old 11-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree I don't like rn flats either, but the manual does say special rims needed. I think its hooey also.
I will buy separate rims in the spring from Tire rack and ask them about TPMS add ons. Hopefully special ones aren't needed for the audi system to work properly.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Plan Man. Run Flats are heavy as hell (negatively affect ride, handling and accelleration) and also cost more. I manually check the air pressure every few weeks and can tell the difference of a few lbs. just by driving the car.

I have TPMS on my summer wheels (aftermarket) and no TPMS on my winters. It takes all of 2 minutes to turn the warning off for the season with VCDS.

Just put my winters on yesterday ...

Before (Neuspeed RSe07 18 x 8.5 ET 35 with 245/40 Conti DW's/ 42 lbs)

After (Sport Edition F7 17 x 7.5 with 215/50 Dunlop Wintersport M3's/ 50 lbs)

Warning that you'll see until it's turned off with VCDS

Last edited by Stevelev; 11-19-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got a set of aftermarket Elbrus wheels for winter from Tirerack with TPMs that work fine with the Audi system. I would just get a good set of regular snows (running a -1 set of Nokiens) and be done.