TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Opinions on why you chose the TT over it's competitors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on why you chose the TT over it's competitors?

I've been in the process of trying to work out a deal on a tt 2.0t for 500-1k above invoice. FOr me it's a awesome option in the segement when it is the "value leader." The dealership I've been working with doesn't seem to be too fond on dealing however. For me paying anything more than about 750 over invoice really makes the 2.0t much less attracitve of an option. I should clarify that I am interested in a lease so this is not necessarily about financing for purchase.

When I look at the total cost of a lease on a 2.0t at even 1k above invoice price you can get a 335 sedan or g35 sport for about the same money.(or even less.) This is especially true of the bmw as they have incredible residual values. You can get a 328 coupe which would perform similarly to the 2.0t for a bit less money. Even something like an acura tl-s could be had for less money. I must say the real challenger ot the 2.0t in my mind is the 335; a 300hp/300lbft I6 rwd sedan for similar money is what really challenges the value of the 2.0t in my mind.

Don't get me wrong, the whole reason I am looking at the tt is for the excellent interior, styling, rarity and low weight so I understand it's appeal. But my question is what is the reason of you chose the TT when you could have potentially spent less money on similar or betting performing cars?
Old 08-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Opinions on why you chose the TT over it's competitors?

I leased a 2.0T (picking up next week) and a similarly equipped 335 came to almost $100 a month more.

My main reason for picking the TT, I got in the car and it just felt right. I didn't get that feeling from other cars...and I drove just about everything out there.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree on the bimmer stigma.....

I actually agree with you, in general, about bimmer folk; the bmw stigma is definitely a minus mark next to that make for me. But it's hard for me to ignore the benefits of rwd and an i6 tt
Old 08-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Default going through the same thought process...

I took out a 350z roadster and it was pretty good. Handling was great. Took out a TT 3.2 and less power, excellent handling, but very rich interior. Will take out a vette next week for the "power". I am leaning toward the TT, but then again depends on the lease.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:38 PM

If your gonna get a 3.2 Roadster..this is the month to get it.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM

isnt that a function of the tires?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:33 PM

Default I'm in a similar quandry...

I'm torn between the 335 and TT. I had an '02 TT coupe for over 4 years so I'm emotionally attached to the TT.

The motor in the 335 is just amazing and of course it has typical BMW handling (and favorable residual values and money factors.) But, it seems like I see a hundred 3-series Bimmers every day.

It's a head vs. heart debate and I don't know yet which will win. My lease on my A4 isn't up until January so I have plenty of time to decide.

Sorry, but I don't think I brought any clarity to your decision. ;-)
Old 08-19-2007, 02:38 PM

Default The TT had three "main" competitors in my case....(longish)

sure, you can call the 335i a competitor...or even an A5 a competitor...but from a true two seat coupe or spyder sports car...your choices are...(keep in mind I am comparing these to a 50K optioned 3.2 Coupe)

1. Cayman

2. Z4

3. SLK

(one could also throw in a S2000, Etc if they wish I guess)

For me the 3 listed above...the Cayman, while a great platform, the car feels souless is "base" Cayman form with out going to the Cayman S. Not to mention the BASE Cayman starts right about 49 IIRC...so your talking a no option base Cayman....just no apeasing to me...

The Z4 is an interesting option. It is the closest of the 3 that had an impact on me. The 3.0 in the Z4 is a nice engine and in edition to that there are GREAT deals on M Coupes right now to get a 56K or so car for about that same 50K price...not to mention great residuals and MF's to boot. However, at the end of the day, comfort and styling was an issue for me. The exterior styling especially the front where not something I could get with...inside, my 6'5" frame felt cramped to say the least and the steering wheel was a huge doughnut. Overall it was the best of the 3 alternatives, and while the money was tempting, just not quite enough for me.

The SLK I just did not like and I had no desire to even drive a Mercedes product. I didnt even bother here.

There are other cars out there...the 335Ci (which like the Z4 is good bang for the buck, but I cannot get comfy inside and again on the interior and exterior mixed emotion. Besides...Mom has one. LOL.

At the end of the day, the TT carried the day. It was a car that you got in and drove and just felt one with...something that I didnt feel with the others. The interior is the best I have ever seen at this price segment...The Gallardo/R8 touches with the Ventilation and Steering Wheel, Guages etc...The seats are spectacular. The leather on the dash and doors remind me that of the Porsches you see with a much higher sticker price.The S-Tronic trans mated with a throaty V6 with ASF and QUattro make a wonderful handling care.....the exterior is fresh and forward thinking yet remains true to its iconic design roots. All and all, my choice in the TT was based just as much on what it did do vs. what the competition didnt do in there offerings.

Keep in mind my perception comming into the MK2 TT was nothing more then a reskinned MK1. Originally I was holding out for a S5. I have had 4 Audi Sedans. I am 27. I will be having children in the next 3-4 years I am guessing. WIth that I wanted a true 2 seat sports car. After the S5 seemed more and more out there price wise, I decided to take a walk around the dealer lot and I saw the TT. Literally, like I saw it for the first time. Up till that point, I had such tunnel vision I had not even acknoledged it. I got in it, I was shocked at all that I mentioned above. I took it on one drive and I loved it! In fact, each incramental time I have driven it since then...(about 5x total now) each time I like it better then the last! ...any car that can give that to you is something special. The MK2 TT is that car.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It wouldn't be quandry if it was easy to figure out....

For me it really is either the 335 or the tt. Obviously very different cars and in some peoples eyes probably not direct competitors; but I would say they are competitive as lease prices are very close.

I'm headed into the dealership tomorrow for one last shot at getting the 750-1k over invoice. If I can get that and the base money factor(they originally wanted to mark it up a tad) then i will probably cut them a deposit check. If not I walk.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Coupe or Sedan?

IMO Coupe>Sedan....and Black is the only exterior color IMO that is good on the 335i Coupe...

I dont care for the Sedan (or any 3 series Sedan) on the exterior, and while the Coupe helps it some...black is the only color IMO that washes out the lines enough to make it palitable.....which is disapointing that that "good" of a car has that kind of drawback.

Quick Reply: Opinions on why you chose the TT over it's competitors?