TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

OEM Audi iPod Interface

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default OEM Audi iPod Interface

Has anyone installed this accessory (part#8E0-857-925-G-6P) in a MK2 TT or TTS? I'm particularly interested in what's involved in the initial installation & how well does it work. Do you lose the satellite radio & what display do you get on the head unit? I have the 6 disk changer in the glove box now so from what I can tell, all I do is remove that unit & replace it with this unit using the existing wiring & connector.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know exactly if the part I have is similar or not...I attempted to instal OEM PN 8EO 051 444B, but only got half way and backed it out. The kit I had appeared at first look to be a plug and play, but after wrestling with the head unit, you had to swap a wire out of the main connector to the new harness. That was ok, but then I would have to change out the blue connector on the bridge harness for the one on my radio (the bridge connector did not fit to the head unit) at this point, it was getting dark and cold and I reversed the install. I never got tntirely to the point where I could tell if everything worked or not, but the boys at ECS indicated that I should be ok with the setup I have (RNS-E, sat, nav).

It would have been easier if I could read German...the instructions with the pictures were in German....English was several pages in and flipping g back and forth was confusing at first, but I got it figured out in the end.

I am sticking with the aux in able until spring.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm staying with the Aux In too

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
I just put a small cloth over the iPOD when I lock my car to not attract thieves
Old 12-25-2013, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't know exactly if the part I have is similar or not...I attempted to instal OEM PN 8EO 051 444B, but only got half way and backed it out. The kit I had appeared at first look to be a plug and play, but after wrestling with the head unit, you had to swap a wire out of the main connector to the new harness. That was ok, but then I would have to change out the blue connector on the bridge harness for the one on my radio (the bridge connector did not fit to the head unit) at this point, it was getting dark and cold and I reversed the install. I never got tntirely to the point where I could tell if everything worked or not, but the boys at ECS indicated that I should be ok with the setup I have (RNS-E, sat, nav).

It would have been easier if I could read German...the instructions with the pictures were in German....English was several pages in and flipping g back and forth was confusing at first, but I got it figured out in the end.

Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity - was the unit you tried to install a basic iPod adapter (retails around $200) or an AMI unit (which is around $700)? Also, did you already have the 6 disk CD changer in the glove box that you were replacing?
I tried to have my dealer replace the CD changer with a factory AMI, but when they opened it up they determined they couldn't do it because of a connector problem (possibly what you encountered).
It looks like we have the same setup - RNS-E, Sirius-XM, & nav. From the research I did on the basic iPod adapter unit, they make it look like all you have to do is remove the CD changer & plug the new unit into the existing plug that you removed the CD from. I've also heard that you don't get much information on the RNS-E display. Apparently the head unit just thinks a CD changer is still there & displays tracks as CDs.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is the item I was looking at

https://forums.audiworld.com/attachm...9&d=1276323129
Old 12-25-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity - was the unit you tried to install a basic iPod adapter (retails around $200) or an AMI unit (which is around $700)? Also, did you already have the 6 disk CD changer in the glove box that you were replacing?
I tried to have my dealer replace the CD changer with a factory AMI, but when they opened it up they determined they couldn't do it because of a connector problem (possibly what you encountered).
It looks like we have the same setup - RNS-E, Sirius-XM, & nav. From the research I did on the basic iPod adapter unit, they make it look like all you have to do is remove the CD changer & plug the new unit into the existing plug that you removed the CD from. I've also heard that you don't get much information on the RNS-E display. Apparently the head unit just thinks a CD changer is still there & displays tracks as CDs.
The kit I got was one of the $200 ones. It did not have the interface drawer that your link showed. My kit was all wiring. And yes, it is a CD emulator. CDx is a playlist, CDy is by song, but you just get track numbers either way like it is a big CD. Upgrading to the full AMI is possible, but somewhat cost prohibitive on the secondary market. I would just have plugged in SD cards, but I would have to convert my library from MP4s which seemed like a lot just for this.

Also, it looks like the adapters are for older iPods; is there an adapter for the iPod 5? If not, it might stick out a bit if you need the connector adapter. I was going to need that with the kit I had as well. They have not caught up to the latest configuration of pods yet.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Forgot to add... I have the 6 CD changer in the glove box.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also, it looks like the adapters are for older iPods; is there an adapter for the iPod 5? If not, it might stick out a bit if you need the connector adapter. I was going to need that with the kit I had as well. They have not caught up to the latest configuration of pods yet.
You're right that Audi is behind the curve with the new Apple Lightning connector. However, I have MMI 3 with AMI in my Q7 & the Audi iPod 30 pin cable with Apple's 30 pin to Lightning adapter works perfectly with my latest generation iPod Touch & Nano. You're right about it maybe sticking out if you use the one piece adapter, but Apple also makes a short 30 pin to Lightning flexible cable. You might be able to plug that into the adapter & iPod & set the iPod in the glove box.
Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Has anyone installed this accessory (part#8E0-857-925-G-6P) in a MK2 TT or TTS? I'm particularly interested in what's involved in the initial installation & how well does it work. Do you lose the satellite radio & what display do you get on the head unit? I have the 6 disk changer in the glove box now so from what I can tell, all I do is remove that unit & replace it with this unit using the existing wiring & connector.
If anyone's interested......
With outstanding help of Bernardi Audi parts, I ordered and quickly received the the Audi OEM iPod adapter I referenced above. It does in fact just replace the 6 disk CD changer in the glove box. Use two radio removal keys to pull the changer out, unplug the connector, plug in the new iPod adapter box & slide it back in the original opening. It does not affect the Sirius radio. Haven't tried the aux in plug in the console yet, but I don't see why it old go away. The iPod/iPhone plays thru the audio system by selecting "CD" as the source but with no data on the head unit or DIC other than "CDxx"
As mentioned, the adapter only has an older generation 30 pin connector, but the Apple 1 piece 30 pin to lightning adapter or 30 pin to lightning short cable works perfectly and allows use of newer generation Apple devices. I ordered a ViseeO Tune2air Bluetooth receiver and plugged it into the 30 pin connector in the adapter and I now have very good audio wirelessly and I can set the iPod on the center console & have data & control at hand.
Overall a very viable alternative to spending hundreds of dollars to retrofit an AMI unit, which is extremely complicated if even possible.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info Cad. Sounds like that is an easier install than the kit I have and it would work the same (CD emulator). I might go with that kit instead of what I have, since it will work the same way, and has the glovebox insert.

Quick Reply: OEM Audi iPod Interface