TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Manual Roadster top?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Roadster top?

I've owned my 2008 TT since new, top worked fine the first few years, always garage kept. Dealers have replaced the flap motors,
resynced the top and had it for a week thinking it was a voltage problem. I've cleaned the grease for the servos and it's still
hit or miss. I just leave the hydraulics purged and put it up and down by hand. My friend's Miata he can throw the top down
with one hand and raise it back up the same way.

So my question, did Audi ever offer a manual roadtser top in the TT? How's anyone converted theirs to a manual top?
The hydraulic cylinders make it tuff to put up until you get it pushed past a certain area. I'm not getting any younger or
apparently stronger. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2024, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

A manual top was standard equipment on a 2008 bone stock TT but is very rare. Power top was offered as part of the Premium package which is how almost all TTs in North America were ordered. A power top was also a stand-alone option. It amazes me how some Mk2 roadsters like the one my neighbor owns has continuous problems. When I had my 2011 Mk 2 I had both flap motors replaced during warranty and never had a problem afterwards.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to know, I guess I'll have to do some digging to find any more info on that. I thought I found something once, I guess I'll have to dbl chk my links.
Yeah. I have the VAG-Com software since I got tired of taking it to the dealers to have them recalibrate the top. I do it once in a while but it's a guess
as to how many times it will work before it fails. And I just don't won't to replace parts in the hope that, that cures the problems, hence the reason for
maybe going manual. I do that now, just wish it was a little easier. Having to get out of the car or looking for a place to pull over
when you get caught in a surprise downpour sucks.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually the flap servo motors are the problem. Good read here on the problem and how to fix it yourself.
https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/ho.../#post-8851001

Excessive grease moves from the gears onto the circuit board where it can cause a fault.

Image shows the internals of a Mk2 (8J) Roadster Roof Flap Servo.