TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Malfunction Indicator Lamp ON (Engine Symbol)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Malfunction Indicator Lamp ON (Engine Symbol)

I just noticed that the The "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" (Little Engine Symbol) is one. Have not driven it much for the past few weeks. I recently had some work done on my 2011 TT at a reputable body shop to remove a bad scratch on the right rear fender panel due to a parking lot hit and run. The engine symbol is NOT a check engine light according to the book but rather an apparent malfunction in a indicator lamp.
The plot thickens as the book says this condition can be due to the fuel filler door not being closed properly. It turns out the the TT has a special fuel filler door is not an R&I (remove and install) serviceable item, so the body shop had to purchase an entirely new one.
Has any one run into this situation. The body shop work is under warranty so if they failed to connect a wire I'd like to know. Thanks
PS. Further weirdness in the USA model are supposed to have an engine symbol wi the word "check" under the symbol whereas canada product just has the symbol alone. I know from the VIN that this is not a Canadian car.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

The MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) and check engine light are basically just two different names for the same thing. Also I think the manual is wrong, as my US model doesn't show the word check under the symbol either. Instead it's just the outline of a engine like what's is listed for the Canadian models.

There are a ton of different reasons why it might come on, so the recent repair could just be a coincidence. However, leaks in the fuel vapor recovery system can be a cause, so if they were replacing any of those parts it would be suspicious. If you don't have access to an OBD reader or VAG-COM, just about any local auto shop should be able to tell you the fault code that triggered the MIL free of charge.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Turns out the check engine light was caused by the HP fuel pump leaking fuel into the crankcase, so that repair plus an oil change and another gasket leak up top adds up to a little over $2K. Ouch, but better than blown turbo from diluted oil. The local Audi Flatirons dealer did a SUPERB job on diagnostics and inspection, sent a detailed video and all. Think I will continue to use the Audi dealer for service, as these issues were missed by an independent shop where I had the brake system flushed and an overall inspection. Although to be fair the CEL was not on during the brake system flush shop visit.