TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Is it just me or is the new TT just down right UGLY>>compared to the old

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yeah, that used to always irk me...

the "Golf in a party frock" thing. Unfortunately, many automotive writers (once the tide turned against the TT - and BOY did it!) often fell back on that blanket (and uninformed, but easy to make) aseessment.

*sigh*
Old 03-08-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After owning an MK1 and driving the MK2 a few weeks back, I can say that..

the MK1 was a little VW.
The MK2 feels like an Audi!!
I'm pretty sure that hte MK1 had more similar dimensions to the Golf than the Mk2 does.
The MK2 is wider and longer than the Golf.
I would say that it is more based on the Passat version of the platform.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Yawn... Part2

lol i whooped up on a cayman a couple days ago in a MK1!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My 225 moves very well, but maybe its because it peaks at about 25 psi....

the 1.8 225 motor is one of the best engines VW/audi has every made, so i wouldnt knock it. Read reviews on it. Plus the 225 very easy to mod, which means tons of power. I own a 2.0t in the a4, its a much refined engine, but sluggish compared to the tt. if they ever decide to bring over, decent models of the new tt i'd consider it. but then again AoA never brought over the MK1 TT quattro sport either. Unless there are s and rs models i wouldnt consider getting a new one for the prices they are selling at.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:53 PM

i think the mk2 is awesome, i thought the mk1 was kinda girlie..
Old 03-09-2007, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mk1 interior cheap??
Old 03-09-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Im not sure what your smoken but my TT never had the issues with

which you are refering too...Mine was always quick off the line and very responsive...The convert is a very solid feel atleast mine...The new TT is just hum drum in my opinion....I dont own my TT any longer due to getting in a wreck, but Im still a die hard TT fan. However, I would not even think about owning the newer body style. Does nothing for me AT ALL...The gas tank on the side Cheezzzyy and alot of the aluminum in the interior looks like my grandmothers expidition around the air vents.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Problem is the two pictures your presented on the Porsh look way

more alike thant the MK1 and MK2...Time will tell but the TT craze in the US will not be the same in my opinion as the MK1...The price is high and the body styling is not there to support it
Old 03-09-2007, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't smoke ...

- never have - but it is an often discussed fact that the 225 1.8T is sluggish until about 3,000 RPM and then kicks you back in the seat until you hit red line. My 2001 did that for the more than three years I owned it and my friend - who still owns a 2002 TTRQ - has the same sensation in his car.

Every time I drive my friend's 225 I wonder how I was ever happy with that engine. The 3.2 FSI in my A6 is smooth, the A8 4.2 I used to own is smooth, and the 4.2L in the S4 cab I drive every now and then is smooth. The 1.8 definitely isn't. It's not a bad engine, it's just not what I like at my age.

If you ever have the opportunity to drive an A4 cabriolet and compare it to the TTR, you will know the difference in "solid feel" - the A4 is solid, no shaking interior rear view mirror like the TTR.

I have regular access to both cars (225 TTR and S4 cabriolet), and I have driven them back to back on several occasions.

I guess the design of the Mk1 vs Mk2 is a matter of taste and I am not trying to convince anyone that one is more beautiful than the other. Personally, I like the look of the Mk2, with the exception of the front lights, to outside corners on these looks too much like a BMW. The Mk1 lost a lot for me when they added the stupid, ugly spoiler. And there was no cheap way to get rid of it unfortunately, else I would have removed it immediately.

The Mk1 was and is a design icon - the Mk2 is different, but still the best looking car in its price range (Z4 - YUCK! ... Z350 - oh well ... RX8 - oh well ... G35 - hell no ... Boxster/Cayman - OK ... SLK - are you kidding?). But I already mentioned, tastes are different (I still don't ever want to be seen in a Z4 - not even dead). The gas tank on the Mk2 looks fine to me, as does the interior (if Ford chooses to copy Audi, does that cheapen Audi interiors? I don't think so: Imitation is the highest form of flattery). The new leather upgrade option looks very nice - not sure I would shell out $1,100 for it, but it looks great.

If I wanted a second car, the Mk2 TTR would be it (I need the A6 to drive customers around, and being single the second car is just not worth it - my Mk1 did less than 15,000 miles total in over three years - most of these driven by friends and family).
Old 03-09-2007, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You're missing the point...

I believe you are trying to divert attention away from my response to your comment that you find the MK2 "downright UGLY" -- which I feel is a rather extreme statement (especially coming from a TT owner).

With regard to your deflection to the similarities between the 993 & 997 pictured, you could substitute any previous 911. Regardless, car design today has moved away from a more "organic" shape to a more defined, angular shape. The MK1, which I have always loved, is beginning to look dated. The MK2's more aggressive and angular look appears fresher and more modern -- both inside and out.

To me, both the new 911 & TT have matured into more beautiful cars (as I would suspect the 998 and MK3 will in the future).

Lastly, I would expect the new TT to become even more popular in the US for several reasons:

- The path laid down by the success of MK1

- The MK2's more masculine look will appeal to more people

- Audi, as a brand, is more highly regarded today than in 1999

- The halo effect of the R8. I truly believe that car will very positively change Audi in America. While Ford may not have sold too many more Mustangs because of the Ford GT, I think the R8 will greatly foster TT sales.

Yes, these are my speculations -- but I feel confindent that Audi is moving in all the right directions right now (TT, R8, A5, A7, etc). As you said, "...time will tell...," and I wouldn't be surprised that in the future you will be A MK2 convert

Quick Reply: Is it just me or is the new TT just down right UGLY>>compared to the old