TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

How common is Audi's long deliberation regarding the U.S. release of TT-RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How common is Audi's long deliberation regarding the U.S. release of TT-RS

All right, I've finally been driven over the deep end with the post below about the TT-RS having the same 50 - 75 mph time as a Gallardo. It's been pretty sad the last month or so, as I've been googling news on the TT-RS 5 times a day. My want of the TT-RS has pretty much destroyed any self-conception I've previously held about my ability to prevent materialistic things from controlling my life.

I don't have a detailed knowledge of past Audi decision-making. My '08 TT 2.0 roadster is my first Audi, and I haven't owned many cars at my relatively young age and low pay grade. So I'd like to ask those of you with more years paying attention to Audi tendencies.

Is it normal for Audi to take so long in making their final decision on the U.S. sale of the TT-RS? Do they string along their customers for years on end regarding product decisions with "no decision yet" statements only to let product generations die off without ever having made a decision to bring a model over to the U.S.? They've been saying since the Geneva show that there is no decision. Now the 2010 models are coming out, so we're probably looking at 2011 models. What's the though process there, that there is no need to rush an announcement since it would be a 2011 or later model anyway? They must have enough sales data to make their decisions by now. The sales data is terrible- we all understand that. I don't think sales numbers will improve in 2010 or any coming year. This would purely be a hell of a halo car. What's Audi done historically when they've taken similarly long making product decisions? Release or no release?

Why don't they just start a marketing campaign that says "hairdressers love to pass f-ing Gallardos on the Interstate"?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

allthough I can totally appreciate and share in your desire for the TT-RS to be here on the shores of the good old US of A, its more a dollars and cents situation.

The TT here in the states has seen a fairly steady sales decline and in recent months hit abismal levels. Combined with the continued ****e of an economy and other factors, I am sure they are having a tough time making the numbers work. Sure its an enthusiast model for certain and people will still buy it but is that enough of a reason?

so have a back up plan if it doesnt come to pass. Get a TTS and mod the hell out of it and get very very close to that performance for probably $10k less.

Buy the TTRS logo and slap it on. I wont tell anyone, I promise
Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aleicgrant
allthough I can totally appreciate and share in your desire for the TT-RS to be here on the shores of the good old US of A, its more a dollars and cents situation.

The TT here in the states has seen a fairly steady sales decline and in recent months hit abismal levels. Combined with the continued ****e of an economy and other factors, I am sure they are having a tough time making the numbers work. Sure its an enthusiast model for certain and people will still buy it but is that enough of a reason?

so have a back up plan if it doesnt come to pass. Get a TTS and mod the hell out of it and get very very close to that performance for probably $10k less.

Buy the TTRS logo and slap it on. I wont tell anyone, I promise
Man, you are wicked...!!!

Never undestood why Audi delays US delivery...surely as they saying goes "IF YOU BUILD THEY WILL COME"...or am I being too simplistic?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

trust me, I say I wouldnt buy one but if they did build it......

then reality sets in and visions of my wife divorcing me and taking the car at the same time
Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Pretty sure a decision has been made already. They aren't going to announce anything now though. I've been told they won't announce anything until a couple months before they are able to order. 2011MY at the earliest.