TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Considering switching to TT or TTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The smile plastered on my face every time I get in my 09 TTS is nothing shy of obscene. Truly the best automotive purchase I've ever made. This gift just keeps on giving daily.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

StoneyMark, I have had my 2008 TT roadster for 3.5 years and have almost 65,000 trouble-free miles. My daughter has the 2008 G37, so I have driven both cars and have an appreciation for how they respond to inputs.

The Infiniti is faster from 0-60, but the steering compared to the TT is way too vague and overboosted.
The TT also turns in faster and seems more surefooted than the G-car.

The weight differential is something that has to be considered, as does the hesitation issue. The TT feels
light on its feet due to the sufficiently lower weight, and seems more tossable.

Now to the hesitation quirk. I noticed, many miles ago, when I first took delivery of the car, that there was a choking for gas in certain throttle positions and in first or second gear. I have a lot of speed work, including a 1900PSI APR fuel pump that makes my car streetable with the chip (APR Stage 2.5). Even with that setup, I still sometimes (very rarely) get a bog, which is usually momentary in nature. In order to get out of bogsville, I have to let off the gas for a second. Even way back when I reported the kink to Audi, they made light of it, but I see from another person's post that it is a reality.

If you are concerned with 0-60 times, there is also launch control, which I have never used in my car. You take off the traction control, step on the brake pedal, rev to about 2500RPM's, release brake and off you go like a slingshot.

For me, there is no real need for me to LC the car. I have babied mine, but put a lot of work into it, so I am pushing about 235 to 245HP. I take out G37 sedans and run fairly close to the coupes. I have big plans for my TT in the future. I bought it out of the lease recently and plan to keep it until and after I can get a pre-owned Maserati GT spyder... but that's another story.

Getting back to the TT and TT-S; you can make a 2.0 liter run like or better than a TT-S with a sufficient amount of speed work, no doubt. I have also tried to test drive a TT-S, but no luck. They seem to be in short supply.
But a stock 265HP 3100-pound automobile should be fun to drive, as will the upcoming TT-RS.

The turbo lag that you are concerned about does not really exist, and when the car is at higher RPM's and the turbo is spinning nicely the torque and seat of the pants feel is endearing.

As to the total driving experience, I get complimented by a good cross-section of society as to the styling and enjoy the open air feel of the roadster, especially in Florida when the weather is cool. When it gets cold the car runs fantastic in sport mode, being that the colder charged air acts like an intercooler. I would not trade the car for much on the road. You do not see yourself coming and going, like owners of Corvettes, Mercedes SL's, etc.

All in all, I am very happy I leased and purchased the vehicle and look forward to thousands more safe miles.
You can go to Elliott Marshall Comora in FaceBook and check out a couple galleries of my TT, and you'll see why at 60 years old I'm stoked on the TT.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mod the car or go to sports mode to remove the hesitation from stop to go? Are you kidding me. ROFLMAO. There are many who note the hesitation and then there are the mods, the never from stop-to-go...and those cruzin DEE-NILE. LOL
Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stoneymark
Hello everyone -
I just joined the forum and hope to meet some good people and start learning about the TT from those who know about them the most.

I'm nearing the end of my lease on my 2009 Infiniti G37X coupe and am considering switching over to Audi. I'm really starting to like the TT's styling and am surprised that with the 2011 power increase on the TT how close it's come to the TTS in terms of engine performance. Can anyone give me an idea of what it feels like to drive the TT or TTS? I suspect no one can comment on the 2011 TT as it's not quite available yet from what I understand. I've read a lot of conflicting opinions about turbo lag. My G37 has a non-turbo 6 cylinder with 330HP but it's a heavy car so 0-60 comes in at about 5.4 secs. That's kind of the neighborhood I'm used to and would expect give or take a couple of tenths. Acceleration times aren't the only thing I'm concerned with - just doing my best to understand the lag issue/non-issue and if anyone has experience and can compare the it to a non-turbo car similar to mine.

I also live deep in the snow belt and would be using as a daily driver. Winter tires are a must. Can anyone tell me if they have experience with the TTS brake caliper size? More specifically, would I be able to fit 17s on there during the cold months?

Appreciate any of your thoughts and opinions.
Yes you can fit 17" rims on TTS for winter use, just check on the Audi.de web site and you will see it's an option, yes it does have some lag but how noticeable it is greatly depends on the individual and what they class as much. If you can't get a TTS to test drive then go find a normal TT 2.0TFSi quattro because the lag difference between the TT and TTS is very small though the amount of extra go is very noticeable as the TTS is a real mover, 60mph and 100mph come up in 5 seconds and a bit under 12 seconds respectively, quicker if you go for the S-Tronic verison.

Here's a comparison between the TTS and G37x to show the difference in performance.

TTS vs G37x
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Im not lucky enough to own a TT but I think the TTS looks awesome, with 4 tailpipes its makes the car look at a different level altogether and it isnt all that expensive over the standard TT, bit like A4 3.2 petrol vs S4

When you see a TT with 4 exhausts you know that is a serious car the standard TT looks nice but the TTS takes its to a new league, even the TTRS has 2 large oval exhausts which dont look as nice as the 4 on the TTS in my opinion, off course exhaust pipes dont mean much but I think it has a big impression.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I drive a manual 2.0 and i can say it simply explodes in 1st gear everytime i smash the gas pedal... i mean it really jumps so strongly that in dry surfaces if you raise the revs and then drops clucth the tires will spin forever. I'm not kidding, this is the response you get with just 2900 pounds to carry. I just tested a stronic TTS and it felt nowhere near as responsive. Even the sales guy were impressed with the manual transmition car... Ok ill stop bragging and get to the point. Its not just the manual transmition... The regular TT has a smaller turbo so it reacts better in low revs than the TTS. Its much ligher too because of the FWD. The TTS is faster, much it really doesnt feel faster, at least in the first two gears.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aziqbal
Im not lucky enough to own a TT but I think the TTS looks awesome, with 4 tailpipes its makes the car look at a different level altogether and it isnt all that expensive over the standard TT, bit like A4 3.2 petrol vs S4

When you see a TT with 4 exhausts you know that is a serious car the standard TT looks nice but the TTS takes its to a new league, even the TTRS has 2 large oval exhausts which dont look as nice as the 4 on the TTS in my opinion, off course exhaust pipes dont mean much but I think it has a big impression.
The factory TTS exhaust looks nice. Too bad it has such a wimpy sound from the factory. Even my wife (a quiet car lover who drives a Prius) thought it needed an upgrade. We both like it much better with the Milltek non-res. Not loud, but deeper with more presence. IMHO the car now sounds like it should have from the beginning.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by verttigo
I drive a manual 2.0 and i can say it simply explodes in 1st gear everytime i smash the gas pedal... i mean it really jumps so strongly that in dry surfaces if you raise the revs and then drops clucth the tires will spin forever. I'm not kidding, this is the response you get with just 2900 pounds to carry. I just tested a stronic TTS and it felt nowhere near as responsive. Even the sales guy were impressed with the manual transmition car... Ok ill stop bragging and get to the point. Its not just the manual transmition... The regular TT has a smaller turbo so it reacts better in low revs than the TTS. Its much ligher too because of the FWD. The TTS is faster, much it really doesnt feel faster, at least in the first two gears.
You seriously thought that the ordinary TT felt quicker than the TTS in the first two gears, that amazes me considering just how much quicker it actually is. Maybe the S-Tronic was masking it true potential or it was the slightly more lag playing tricks with you.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gear Junky
You seriously thought that the ordinary TT felt quicker than the TTS in the first two gears, that amazes me considering just how much quicker it actually is. Maybe the S-Tronic was masking it true potential or it was the slightly more lag playing tricks with you.
Consider this:

The ordinary MT TT is 300lbs lighter.
It has a smaller and faster spooling turbo.
The MT gives you instant power.

Contrary of what might look, i actually WANTED the TTS to feel much quicker than my standard but no ordinary TT... so im not biased in any way.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larrycr
The factory TTS exhaust looks nice. Too bad it has such a wimpy sound from the factory.
Agreed. Milltek DP + Milltek exhaust definitely helps with the sound AND provides the add'l power sooner in the rev band.

Last edited by Stevelev; 01-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering switching to TT or TTS