TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Cayman R vs TT RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman R vs TT RS

Cayman R vs TT RS. What do you think?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Depends on what you want the car for and where you live, I think. The Cayman R is definitely awesome. I'm not sure it's worth so much more money than the Cayman S, but it's still awesome. A guy in my office has one. But, honestly, it's a little tough to live with. It's not very useful as a daily driver, it has no luggage room and it's not super-fast in a straight line. However, it's a track demon and will chew up most cars costing much more in the corners. The TT-RS is almost equally as fast on a track and can be faster with a few inexpensive mods (tires, Haldex controller, etc). I think Audi made a huge mistake by fitting the Toyos on the TT-RS as stock rubber. The few tenths of a second that the Cayman R is faster than the TT-RS can easily be negated or overcome by fitting better tires. However, since VW/Audi own Porsche, they probably don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Anyway, you need to ask yourself where and how you want to drive these cars. The TT-RS makes a great daily-driver that can also be used to tear up a track, whereas the Cayman R is a little more purpose-built for the track only. It can be used on a road, but don't expect to buy many groceries or take it on road trips. Plus, if you like to mod your cars, then the Audi is the better choice. The Porsche is near perfection based on engineering requirements that keep it soundly slower than the 911's. The Audi is good, but can be improved upon with ECU remaps for big increases in power and handling mods that will make it stick even better than it does. We're probably looking at around 420 hp when the ECU tunes are released in January. That's a ridiculous amount of power in such a small car. It's already fast as crap bone stock and I only drove the 340 hp Euro version!

If I was single and lived in California, I might choose the Cayman R. But I'm married with a kid and live in Germany, so it's the TT-RS for me.

- Jeremy -
Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think if you are so engrained in manipulating a RWD platform that anything else feels completely wrong, then the R might be something to look into. I know people like that, folks who won't even entertain the notion of AWD, and who will further insist that your TT variant of choice is really a FWD car. IMO, Darwin will eventually catch up with them!

Dollar to dollar by the numbers, there's no reason at all to spend more for the Porsche. Aesthetically, some might prefer the styling. I like it, having shopped it a bit, but prefer the TT lineup.

The seats are pretty cool...
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Plan_Man
I know people like that, folks who won't even entertain the notion of AWD, and who will further insist that your TT variant of choice is really a FWD car. IMO, Darwin will eventually catch up with them!
So true this statement...!

Anyway, in the 21st Century it is often the case that a car is built to serve a particular purpose...so for track most will go for Porsche as they are built for that especially the Cayman R.

For daily driver...most cars can do that work BUT not a Cayman R...tbh...!

For multi-purpose car where you accept compromises and are not out to win trophies on track then an AWD like the TT-RS is very descent with a few well choosen mods...ARBs will be a definite to kill understeer for starters.

So, define the use and the choice is plenty...S I M P L E S.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 996CAB
So true this statement...!

Anyway, in the 21st Century it is often the case that a car is built to serve a particular purpose...so for track most will go for Porsche as they are built for that especially the Cayman R.

For daily driver...most cars can do that work BUT not a Cayman R...tbh...!

For multi-purpose car where you accept compromises and are not out to win trophies on track then an AWD like the TT-RS is very descent with a few well choosen mods...ARBs will be a definite to kill understeer for starters.

So, define the use and the choice is plenty...S I M P L E S.
Great point about purpose building for the track...
Old 01-10-2012, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spyder fan
Cayman R vs TT RS. What do you think?
In a nutshell...

If you are needing a daily driver that is thrilling to drive (and look at), then I'd recommend the TT RS.

If you are wanting an uncompromised driver's car that thrills you on each drive, then I'd recommend the Cayman R.

I initially wrote that about comparing the Cayman S and the TT RS, but having driven a Cayman R, I believe it applies to that as well.