TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

After 3 TTRs- bye bye Audi, hello..

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 3 TTRs- bye bye Audi, hello..

Have owned 3 TT roadsters in the past decade. Loved the cars but overall, was getting bored.....and overall, must admit that my MK1 V6 was MUCH more fun (for me) than either an MK2 TTS or MK2 V6.

So...goodbye TTR, hello BMW 135i convertible. WHile I loved the "low to the ground" feel of the TT, the 135i is a killer car...great engine (300hp twin turbo), very nice tranny (though must admit the DSG was exceptional as well). MUCH less wind in the cabin at high speeds, better ride comfort-wise and much better tech features. Everyone out there with a TT should be happy...I was, that's why I owned 3 in ten years...but the car does need a serious refresh and I think I topped it with the 135i convert.

BosTTon
Old 06-12-2013, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good luck to you. I had a 335i and liked the car but the BMW service has much to be desired, at least here in Houston. It would take a week to get an appointment if I wanted to wait for the car and 3 weeks if I wanted a loaner. Audi on the other hand I called up this week on Monday and asked when I could bring my car in for the 15k service and they said how about Wednesday we will have a loaner for you. I said could I bring it this afternoon if I want to wait for it? They said sure.

Originally Posted by BosTTon
Have owned 3 TT roadsters in the past decade. Loved the cars but overall, was getting bored.....and overall, must admit that my MK1 V6 was MUCH more fun (for me) than either an MK2 TTS or MK2 V6.

So...goodbye TTR, hello BMW 135i convertible. WHile I loved the "low to the ground" feel of the TT, the 135i is a killer car...great engine (300hp twin turbo), very nice tranny (though must admit the DSG was exceptional as well). MUCH less wind in the cabin at high speeds, better ride comfort-wise and much better tech features. Everyone out there with a TT should be happy...I was, that's why I owned 3 in ten years...but the car does need a serious refresh and I think I topped it with the 135i convert.

BosTTon
Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

hou-tt-mk2,

I must say that with 3 TTRs and 1 A4, all of my trips to the dealership for service were great experiences.....and with only 2 exceptions (convert roof failure and glovebox falling off...go figure), ALL of my Audi's were VERY reliable. I even blew out a TTR runflat tire going 80 MPH...and not only did the car still handle well (thank gawd)...Audi service was prompt to get someone to come get me and it was a Sunday.

I will say that paying for Audi Care is a joke (I've always told the dealership to add it for free right before signing or no deal). My BMW is covered for four years...will be interested to see how it holds up. One of the reasons I got rid of my TTR was because I wanted the option of putting 3 people in a convert....the TTR was not an option and I thought the A4/A5 too big and too boring. The S5 was more my style but kinda a boat IMHO relative to a 1 series...I guess the trials and tribulations of driving a 2 seater for so long....no conventional 4 seater for me, the 1 series fit the bill and has serious WOW factor. One thing that surprises me is the number of people who look at the car vs. the TTR. Personally, it's not clear to me why (sure as hell ain't because of me) and I've always thought the TTR converts very striking.

BosTTon
Old 06-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I've heard of the regular TT, TTS, and TTRS, but never a TTR. What am I missing?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pacod
So I've heard of the regular TT, TTS, and TTRS, but never a TTR. What am I missing?
You are not missing anything. I've always distinguished a coupe from a roadster by putting an "R" after the TT.......TTR. Have seen it done here over the years and adopted the use of TTR when talking about a roadster. Sorry for the confusion.

Geekapoo
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Yeah, I use it all the time. No confusion until the TTRS debut

Old 06-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are not missing anything. I've always distinguished a coupe from a roadster by putting an "R" after the TT.......TTR. Have seen it done here over the years and adopted the use of TTR when talking about a roadster. Sorry for the confusion.

Geekapoo
Makes sense, should have figured that out.
Totally agree with you about the TT. It is so dated now, and the refresh can't come soon enough. Compared to the TT, I know BMW offers much more comfortable cabin experience.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pacod
Makes sense, should have figured that out.
Totally agree with you about the TT. It is so dated now, and the refresh can't come soon enough. Compared to the TT, I know BMW offers much more comfortable cabin experience.
Yea, I am surprised by how much more comfortable the 135i is vs. the TT...though I think it important to note that the TT is pretty darn comfortable and the MK2 series is a much smoother ride than the MK1 (though also a great car). In contrast, I found the MB SLK and Boxster S pretty darn uncomfortable (especially the latter, a bit of a joke IMHO). In general, Audi's tend to be pretty darn comfortable, I've always been impressed. One thing I do miss is that the 135i does not sit the passenger down as low as with the TT. Probably the most cushy small car I've driven is the Lexus sc430...but who wants to drive a 300hp V8 and feel like you are sitting in your living room (can't hear the engine or the road)
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree on the comfort level of the TT vs. Cayman. Cayman is a nice car, but after a couple of hours I'm done. Don't know if the driver's side is better (I don't get to drive it much - it's his car). But in my TTS I have all the git-go I need in a more civilised package. Hit the sport button - play; switch it off - ready for that 12 hour road trip.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:56 AM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

BosTTon
Good luck with your i 135. Did you get an x version? My wife bot a 2013 TT roadster last year after 21 years in 2 Miatas. She loves two seaters. In the mountains she wanted AWD so she could get around in the snow. The Miatas, although lots of fun, didn't cut it in bad wintry weather; and the TT Roadster was the least expensive two seat AWD available. She loves it.

Quick Reply: After 3 TTRs- bye bye Audi, hello..